Sign in to follow this  
Hirgab

Anyone here refuse to fly online? If so, why?

At one time, in the mid-00s, before I had kids, I used to always fly on-line.

But now, with less time, and some constraints like having to keep the noise down once the kids are in bed, I just find that on-line flying just doesn't appeal any more.    To be honest the ATC side of things isn't a huge part of the enjoyment I get from flight sim. (Hence why I don't use an add-on ATC either).   

It's just more convenient and intuitive to load up the sim and fly these days.

But on-line ATC is something everyone should try at least once.

This might have just set a new record for the oldest thread ever revisited :-)

Jay

YA, i JUST came across it, was a good read. I fly online everytime. I did MCO-MSY tonight and it was fun, HOU and MSY App where on so it worked out.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

After clicking on this one I had to go out and get a can of air to clean up the cloud of dust that blew out of my computer!

I joined The Virtual International Flying Club ( VIFC ) and am so happy I did. They cover every area of interest. We have a choice of three servers in addition to Vatsim , that I never have to use any way. The guys are very friendly and knowledgeable. Check out Our Website and you'll see everything they have to offer.  

Haha, this thread is a reminder of back in the day Vatsim flights every evening till bed and sometimes an all nighter or two. :blink:

Haven't done it for years but this thread may serve as spark to resuscitate old memorable flights and Vatsim participation.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

regarding VATSIM, is there a link that shows which areas are controlled at any moment?

Thanks

Rob

Used to be a program at Vatsim which met that need but it's been years since I visited.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

regarding VATSIM, is there a link that shows which areas are controlled at any moment?

Thanks

Rob

vatview.com

You can also download a free program called "VatSpy".

Also, if you have an iPad, check out an app called "Vatmap".

Anyway, as for the original topic...I tend now to only fly online when there are events going on, or at least in airspace that's controlled quite often, like LAX. All other times, I don't mind RC4.

Servinfo if memory serves. Is that the program?

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

There are a few...I use DOLOMYNUM....free and very easy to use, it shows you either IVAO or Vatsim, you choose.

You can also go to the webpage vattastic and use their browser based real time map of atc and traffic.

Sent from my Mobile thing

I don't fly online, for several reasons. I first tried to install all the necessary programs to fly VATSIM on my computer, found it too complex so gave up. I then went to a friends to try it out, and immediately I got some high and mighty arsehole controller telling me I was doing things wrong. I begrudge this, I am a commercial pilot in training with all the comms  qualifications and several hundred hours of real RT under my belt, it annoys me when somebody with no formal training (most likely) tells me I'm doing things wrong. I was eventually kicked for disputing this, that was the last time I bothered to try.

If there was a good way to fly with friends, for fun, in formation or just mucking about, I'd be all for it, but not what I experienced on VATSIM a while back.

My opinion is probably unique in that I find it too realistic. I'd rather relax and have an enjoyable flight using AI.

Though about trying it many times but i don't have time or patience to learn the comms and procedures enough not to get told off and kicked!