Sign in to follow this  
rcbarend

RIP: David "Opa" Marshal

Very sad news, condolences to his family and friends..G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Sad news. A wonderful contributor to our weird hobby, condolences to the Marshall family.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

"Opa" will be missed by our community. He was always willing to help. My condolences to his family. Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

Very sad news, my condolences to his family and friends.

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

Being an "opa" myself, I know I am spoiling my grandchildren but I do it with pleasure. The same did David, he spoiled us with his contributions and I remember its "Tips and Tricks" series very well. He was very helpfull for our sometimes stupid questions and he had an encyclopedic knowledge of hints for us being in some FS troubles and he answered them always with the kindness of an "opa". David, "Opa", we will miss you, Hugo

Wow, absolutely horrible news... My thoughts go out to his entire family. Such a tremendous loss for everyone as he really was a classy, happy, and helpful man...Things like this put FS in perspective for all of us.R.I.P. and best wishes to those left behind,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

He was a truly terrific help to me personally but I always noticed how kind and helpful he was with everyone. He treated everyone with patience and kindness and was always quickly responsive. I had occasion to talk to him lately about a terrific thing he did a few years ago calls "Tips and Tricks" which was a very long and difficult task but G0d it helped me learn a lot about simming. He was a terrific fellow, may he rest in peace and condolences to his family.

I'm very sad to hear of his passing. He was always so helpful and a "virtual friend" as many others are here too. My condolences to his family. May his last flight be in peace. Bruce.

It is with great sadness to inform you, that David Marshal (a.k.a. as "Opa") has passed away, after a heart attack last Thursday.His daughter Mary informed me of this, in reply to an Email I sent to David a few days ago.I'm sure many of you will be as shocked as I am.As you know probably know, David was a very knowledgeable and extremely helpfull member in the flightsim community.My deepest sympathy to David's family, and I wish them much strength in dealing with their awfull loss."Opa", RIP.You will be missed by many. Best regards,Rob Barendregt
Always kind and helpful. David will be sorely missed. Our condolances to his family and friends.Nerd.gif

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I did not know the man or have much interaction with him but just looked up a few of his posts and instantly recognized the photo and definitely read many of his posts. Rest in Peace. Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

God Bless to Opa. I wanted to thanks to Opa for everything. We surely missed him so much. My condolence to his families and friends. Stuart

This is very sad news, Opa often helped me out of trouble. Rest in peace David

Chris Howard

Opa was truly the original example of how the culture of AVSIM should be. Helpful, kind, enthusiastic and dedicated to the joy of flight sims. He was around this website for so long it will truly feel like a piece of AVSIM has been lost.
Indeed it will. Dave was a friend of ours and really came to the fore when AVSIM was hacked. He contributed here almost daily, and as many of you have pointed out, he never hesitated to reach out and help. Dave joined the AVSIM Forums on December 31, 2004 and over his time here he posted ~ 4,400 messages and only Dave knew how many PM's. On behalf of the AVSIM Staff, our condolances to Dave's family and friends.

Sad indeed, David had an answer to many things, was one of the most helpful members of this community!Very sad about seeing him go.Rest in peace.