Sign in to follow this  
FloB

Oktober News

So, some of you who already know that MS is using some of the FSX code where they see fit (to me it's the aother way around) will not use the simulator part of FSX for Flight, they will just abandon that part....it's already there, they just have to make it better but won't touch it..... seriously??

Flight Simulator is and has always been a game. Get over it.
Exactly. it's for amusement and entertainment. Only pretentious snobs claim it isn't - trying to distance themselves from those dreadful "gamers".

Sorry to come across as a little rude in my last post, but the amount of times I come on here and people post replys looking to pick a fight, no hard feelings I hope. :) Virtual Reality
Water under the bridge...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Flight Simulator is and has always been a game. Get over it.
If you treat it like one than I guess it is for you. The multi-million dollar flight simulators that most major airlines own could also be called an expensive game machine if you used it to do barrel rolls and fly at high speed between buildings without hitting them, but they clearly aren't. Mark

i9-13900K @ 5.8Ghz / Asus TUF 4090 OC / 32 GB DDR 5 / Corsair 1000W PS /  Pimax Crystal / 2 SATA SSD / 2TB M2 SSD/ DOF Reality H3 motion platform/ Win 11 

Still only Hawaii. Are they serious?
Yup... At this point in the game, if they cannot show us a single pic of NYC, London, Hong Kong or the Alps its for a good reason... they don;t exist inside "this game". Folks need to start accepting the hard facts here, while Flight looks great, stunning even... I don't think its going to be FS11... its something entirely different.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Yup... At this point in the game, if they cannot show us a single pic of NYC, London, Hong Kong or the Alps its for a good reason... they don;t exist inside "this game". Folks need to start accepting the hard facts here, while Flight looks great, stunning even... I don't think its going to be FS11... its something entirely different.
So "the World" doesn't include NYC, London, Hong Kong or the Alps? So when you tried the FSX Demo did you REALLY think that was the only part of the world modeled in FSX?

They will show us the other parts of the world when they are ready. Patience is a virtue... I liked the missions in FSX, they were a nice break from my usual flying. Game...simulation....whatever.

Danny

"Flight Simulator is and has always been a game. Get over it." Flight Simulator is and has always been a simulator. Get over it. ;) Agreed that Missions is sorely underused and goes unappreciated. What I'd like to see is a set of missions that mirrors what students in various levels of flight training would experience: PPL, Instrument Rating, etc. - but in GA aircraft until it's appropriate to use others. And I mean it - I'd like to see the user (player?) be able to select "real world experience" in which they can elect to start a personal file that won't even let them solo until they've been through a certain amount of training. Of course, you wouldn't have to do this if you didn't want to... Well, anyway... about Hawaii: I am holding on to some hope that they're showing it because that happens to be their testbed. What we're seeing is pretty limited, but hey - maybe they're writing routines that will indeed populate the world.

New screens look great as usual. Glad to see that they included the word "world" in there. I think they just keep saying "game" because they are just trying to market it. FSX had the same kind of rhetoric when it came out. There was "something for everyone," etc. I just think that it is going to have missions and such just like FSX, but of course there will be developers that create add-ons that will allow for hardcore simulation if there isn't any offered in the game already. I'm personally very excited and anxioiusly awaiting more information :) I'm prepared to be dissapointed though, lol.

Nothing here to really get excited about... the screenshots of the clouds were amusing.

Yes, the cloud shots are intriguing. This somewhat self conscious attempt would indicate they've been listening to us complain about the weather.

Mike Beckwith

I finally had the chance to read the release over and I had one thought. "My gosh, what are you guys getting so worked up about?" They say specifically there will be missions but also free flight. They say you will be able to fly cargo, which doesn't exactly prove airliners will be in it, but it means proably not all Maules and Stearmans. And yes, they said game. They consider Flight a game, just like they considered Flight Simulator a game. Most people did, other than a small group of enthusiasts.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Six, count them, SIX updates of nothing but Hawaii.... Come on Microsoft.

Blake

There sure is a lot of sturm und drang over the use of the word "game". We don't have anything that would make us belive that Flight will offer any less fidelity than FSX. It's the add-ons that make FSX something we've had on our hard drives since 2006. More casual gamers will have fun with the default, especially if there's a high-detail area (Hawaii) and a few airplanes for free (purely conjecture on my part). If we can get a platform that uses improved code, looks good, flies reasonably well at default, performs better on modern platforms, has a centralized area for purchasing and downloading add-ons (no more gathering up about 30 different license keys and jumping through hoops every time I reinstall!) and broadens the market with an appealing, rewarding training and mission system .... what the heck's not to love! Bring it on.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.