Sign in to follow this  
frantzy

Hangar not "Hanger"

Or the truly appalling 'I would of' - no probs if someone is not a native English user, it's an easy mistake to make. But from a native speaker - simply inexcusable.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Je suis sorti de la hangar, or the colloquialism ..... My Bad.It’s one of those cases I could have sworn the word was spelled differently in English, French is what i speak/read much of the time.It’s as an Editor here at Avsim I became more comfortable with English composition, its syntax and cadence, where the apostrophes’ go, admittedly I still run things through a spellchecker when in doubt but the fallibility of those is evident when the word in question exists as misspelt, like hanger and hangar , fortunate am I to have this forum to catch those oversights.Best CJ

I really have no right to critisize as my speling is absolootly whoreific! biggrin.png

Airplane as opposed to Aeroplane.I realise that our American friends spell it that way but it still grates with me !Dave

Airplane as opposed to Aeroplane.I realise that our American friends spell it that way but it still grates with me !Dave
Yeah, like that habit of my British friends of throwing gratuitous and irrelevant vowels into perfectly innocent words grates with me...LOL.gif

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

ColourColorflavourflavorcriticisecriticizeanalyseanalyzecalibrecaliberlitreliteranalogueanalogdifferent ways of saying 'nuclear'etc......'2 nations divided by a common language!'

Don't forget...aluminumaluminium <= there they go making unnecessary vowel movements again...I suspect that it is actually a clever scheme by the Writer's Guild to "pad" their books so they get paid more. :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What about vehicle...you guys pronounce it as Vee-hicle..lol

Let's not forget where the English language originates though, I feel rather embarrassed hearing Americans tell English people they're using incorrect spelling...and having lived in both countries, we actually pronounce aluminum differently in the US. English actually say, "al-yuh-min-ee-uhthinsp.pngm", whereas we say, "uh-loo-muh-nuhthinsp.pngm". [source: http://dictionary.re...browse/aluminum]Having said that, I do prefer US spelling for many English words as it sits better with me, I just don't feel it to be appropriate telling English people their language is the wrong one. Kind of in the same argument as saying American Football is really soccer, when the English invented Football and American Football barely uses the Foot in Football, haha! Whistle.gif *ducks for cover*

Let's not forget where the English language originates though, I feel rather embarrassed hearing Americans tell English people they're using incorrect spelling
Not to mention the pronunciation... icon_scratch_head.gifWhen I first came to the USA, having many years of (British) English education behind me, I had great difficulty understanding Americans.All these twisted (to my ears) words made me rethink my knowledge of English. When in Europe you are taught the London accent for years and suddenly bump into downtown L.A., that maaaaatters!Just a third party guy's opinion. wink.png