Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

NEW POLL - HC or not?

Ponderings...  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Using whatever definition YOU CHOSE, do you consider yourself a Hardcore Simmer?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which is more important to you?

• Flying low and slow with GA
    • Flying high and fast with airliners, heavy metal
    • Flying business jets
    • Helicopters
    • Military aircraft
    • None of the above

I can't really see myself as a hard core simmers. Sure I like flying very realistic aircraft, like the PMDG NGX, but I just don't have the time to learn all the ins and out,s nor do i really feel the need to do that. As such, I don't see myself as hardcore, merely an intermediate.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I consider myself hardcore and as for ticking a preference for GA or airlines, I'm afraid I could not choose! I like to spend an equal amount of time between the two. Just when I think I would like to spend more time in the NGX I then realise that I haven't flown a GA for a while, then jump into the Duke and then think to myself, I think I'd like to spend more time flying GA!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I found it a shame not to be able to select more than one of the types of flight... the whole thing about flight simualtion is that it opens all fields of an activity to those who may normally be unable to perform even one... I use the NGX a lot, I also simulate GA flying, my logbook reflects that as an approximate 50/50 split...So I voted none of the above for that option. I consider myself as hardcore in ther terms of spending a shedload of disposable income on simulation products, PCs custom built to run FS, preparation time for flight, real time weather, more accurate cloudscapes, following checklists and procedures... though there are many of you far more hardcore than me...A

Alot of times I just get in and go just like I get into a car. Just because I can.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

I voted hardcore heavy metal flying but I do not perform everything by the book. I met with a group of about 10 individuals last Friday and presented the PMDG NGX in a short flight from KLAS to KLAX. I had practiced the flight several times using SID/STAR procedures with the latest navdata and real weather but I opted to not go with ATC either with FSX or VATSIM due to lack of realism (FSX) and time. The room was booked for only a short period of time.I learned from the feedback that I received that I was probably the only one in the room that flew in this fashion. I do on occasion fly the C152 or the Beaver to enjoy flying low and slow but those times are indeed rare.

\Robert Hamlich/

Hard Core Simmer?Nah!...I dont think so... B) ...Having all the MS Flight Sims from FS '98 onwards, I just use them for fun and exploration, every day, low and slow, in my GA, Cessna 150 Aerobat, etc.I mainly use them as tools to explore the World, together with Google Maps, and occasionally "fly" Multiplayer with my Chums using FS 2004 and FS Navigator.I tell myself that what I see on my Monitor screen are merely computer generated Pixels, moving around.......the rest is all in the mind.....trust me!... :( ...!Flight Simming is for fun... :( ...(Toys for Boys!)......and a little bit of education.... :(.... !Paul...An Elderly Flight Simmer...... B) ...!

Guest dlrk

I'm such a hardcore simmer that I fly the NGX according the real world procedures while listening to Minor Threat!

I picked HC because I think the amount of money and time I've spent on sims over the years would classify me as hardcore simmer, but I don't usually fly 100% realistic procedures and I fly mostly GA and slow and low. I own a couple of tubeliners but I fly them VFR since I never seem to make time to learn the FMC.I do find all the anti hardcore simmer attitude in the Flight forum misplaced, just because Joshua Howard's interview comments and MS marketing want to split us into segments to pursue or ignore doesn't mean we need to divide ourselves, our community is big enough to allow for all kinds of simmers to exist in harmony.

--John near KPAE

Hmm... As usual, survey categories never quite seem to fit for me.Picked hardcore (despite a general dislike for the term and its negative connotations) because I do value the ability to be as real as can be. That doesn't mean I follow all procedures all the time - one of the advantages of a sim is being able to do things that are impractical/impossible in the real world like flying 5 approaches in less than an hour all in IMC - but I do want to be able to simulate everything that I choose to on any given flight as accurately as possible. And I do take my sim flying (but not myself!) seriously - enough that I've worked up some pretty good sweats after a dicey flight.As for the flying choices, I went with GA, even though the low and slow part doesn't necessarily apply. The turbine Duke and Malibu are both GA, for example, but not really business or low and slow. A V35 Bonanza is about the slowest plane I fly, and even that doesn't exactly fit what I think of as low'n'slow "bush" type flying. I'm an IFR, "in the system" kinda guy, but with a variety of IFR capable GA aircraft. How's that for a category? :-)Scott

Hard core No, passionate yes, enjoy lots 3rd party deveopment, low and slow as I explore the world.

Although I mostly fly GA, and that low and (comparitively) slow, I find on short flights I spend more time on the ground in planning, preflight, startup and shutdown than I do in the air so I opted for hardcore.I don't like flying without weather, though having no internet connection at home means it's pre-downloaded and as close to 12 months old as I can make it. That may seem odd but it does mean I'll have March 31st 16:00 UTC weather at four o'clock on Saturday. Hmm... at five in the summer. Maybe that's more anal than hardcore?Also I have more FS9 add-on discs than I do movie DVDs...

Voted hard-core because I have most same reasons as people who posted before I did. I prefer to fly by the book most of the time (~90%). Don’t care if it’s the Icon A5 or a 737NGX.The other 10% I’m not in the mood to do FP nor a “cold and dark” startup procedure;so I just pick whatever pops up first and just fly or….. crash.

I went with non-hardcore because I do this for fun, so I break all the rules of R/L flying.

I picked "none of the above" because I do them all, as well as many more not listed. I enjoy just jumping into a plane, any plane, and seeing if I can fly it, as well as looking at the scenery, and spending more time outside the plane, admiring it, than inside. I also spend more time watchng the AI than myself.

Don

Hello All:

My first post, very interesting topic. I have been flying sims since my first leap to the air in "Strike Commander". I consider myself as a "flexible hardcore". That meaning I will fly any sim I can get my hands on (the joy of just flying something different) for the experience of flying rather than the realism of it (although I have my FSX cranked to ultra realistic) because flying whether low and slow or fast and high is what takes me away from the real world. Yes I built my own cockpit to sit in (simple F-16 mock-up, no switches....yet) to help me get lost. I fly most of the time with ATC, NAV, ILS and the such and obey the rules of the road (most of the time) with all the AC I fly. But then there are the times I like to explore and hop in something fast and small so I can get there then go low and slow and see what is new. So given the fact that I go slow or fast, low or high, from MS5 to FSX and the all the others I have flown (I'll list them sometime), in my own little cockpit is what makes me a "flexible hardcore".

Pekay

I said not HC but I do have a fair amount of $$$ tied up in the hobby. I've been thinking that in the real world there are already too many rules/laws/policies and too much paperwork and too many people controlling my life. When I'm flying the sim I am in my own little world and can try lots of different things that would get me in trouble or kill me in the real world. For me flight simming is for fun and for learning. That's not to say I do not want to learn proper navigation, landing procedures, etc. But I don't want my flight simming to become a chore (maybe it already is with all the FSX tweaking) or become like a job or become too stressful. Been there and done that. Now I am going back to childhood ... new things to try, new things to learn, new places to discover ... more free time to do what I want to do when I want to do it and how I want to do it.