Sign in to follow this  
jb17011

The End of Flight?

Oh, and just a thought: all you FSX/FS9 addon makers/vendors: you might want to consider having a short sale; like the one you had just before FLIGHT was released...Methinks you might sell some stuff :wink:

+1. I passed on that last one, since I was saving money for Flight. But now... hmmm...

Or perhaps some of us just didn't find it met our needs.

Look' date=' I've not been one of the complainers (at ALL!) about Flight, but it didn't meet my needs or desires, so I quietly opted to continue on another platform and occasionally stopped by here to keep an eye on developments to see if Flight was moving any closer to what I wanted. Simple as that. Not "angry" with MS, not taking anything out on anybody, just didn't feel like I was the target market for this product, so I chose not to spend more money on it.

Scott[/quote']

Couldn't agree more, Scott. I strongly considered Flight myself, but after being a longtime flight simmer (since the days of the Timex Sinclair!), I came to the conclusion that without AI, without weather, without force feedback, without TrackIR (initially, anyway), without the ability to fly around my home area--YVR, and without cockpits for some aircraft, Flight simply didn't meet my needs.

As a result, I didn't download it and quietly continued with FSX, but I, like you, have been keeping my eye on this forum to see how things were developing in the hopes that there may be something that would attract me to downloading Flight and maybe even buying some DLC. It appeared that indeed, things were moving, albeit slowly, in the right direction, with the addition of TrackIR, but now, of course, that's over.

Again like you, I was never one of the angry ones; i was just someone who was satisfied with FSX and didn't consider Flight as something that would satisfy my needs.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

In an alternate quantum universe, we, the Flight Simming community, would properly petition MS to allow that to be sold, bought, traded or given away so that something good can come of it..Imagine if an organised, coherent movement could be started..You could get lots of signatures on a petition, for a start..

Look here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Microsoft-Flight/221507921305961, it has already started...

I have been using Microsoft Flight Simulator programs since the early 1980's. Each time a new version came out I was impressed with the improvements thinking it can't get better then this. When 2004 came out,

that seemed to start a new generation in home computer Flight Simulation, especially from the third party developers. FSX was the icing on the cake. When MIcrosoft announced the release of Flight I was expecting advances as in 2004 and FSX. I downloaded Flight and purchased the first two expansions to check it out. Much to my disappointment it was nothing like anything I had seen before.

Microsoft has always exceeded my expections when new versions came out,till now. My initial reaction was pretty strong but after due consideration I will not continue with Flight but will continue with 2004 and FSX. Both are being well supported by companies like ORBX, Simaddons and others. I guess my expectations are not as high as others, I am quite happy with 2004 and FSX and will continue to enjoy them as much now as I did when each was released. There are always new places to go and people to see..................................The possibilities are endless..................

Outside support for 2004 and FSX has already shown an increase so let the good folks who have been providibng us with the amazing improvements over the years continue to do their work and support them.

Thank you.

Jim

Nova Scotia

Canada.

It would be more convincing if I had not been hearing parts of that same "its all better now" mantra for years and years. I even said it myself from time to time and then had to admit I was wrong. (and the hardware race continued)

If its fixed (finally!) why are people still trumping Prepar3d as the fix? Why are people still excited and ready to leap like pouncing panthers every time something other than the finally fixed! sim appears? :unsure:

What got me about this whole community reaction was that If people are still happy with FSX, then why the excitement about Aerofly? (not to mention Xplane and Prepar3d) And if the excitement about Aerofly (and others) is just about having new choices to explore, then why the hostility about the choice of exploring Flight?

Logic disappeared beneath a sea of pitchforks and angrily hefted torches from the villagers.

It seemed to me like we wanted what we wanted (now!!) and exactly the way we wanted it, but only if the company producing it is Microsoft. Everyone else seemed to get reasonable slack and patience. Jeez, I might have pulled the plug myself if I was them, faced with that.

Then I hear "Now they can get started on FS11" or "Now they can fix (the fixed) FSX" and its just....... :blink: :blink:

The people that are waiting for FS11 I'm afraid will see it after Hell freezes over. Im sure the programmers at MS would rather work on the redesign of Pong, than another flight Sim.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

What a sad news!

I just came back to Siming after 10+ years or so, and it was Flight that brought me back to it. I enjoyed it so much, I went and purchased a TrackIR 5, FSX Gold for more complete training (radios, ILS etc) + Hawaii Starter Kit + Alaska (both BEFORE the Steam Summer Sale), and a T.flight HOTAS. Being on a low budget, this was a huge investment for me.

Now, I admire what they did with the Flight engine which I find really well designed, beautiful and running extra smooth on my setup. I was empty yes (no ATC, air or road/sea traffic), but I always thought that they'd eventually add DLCs or free addons to liven up the world. Hearing about this news that they stopped development for Flight was a blow (even though I had nagging a suspicion about it being successful or not -- trying to find out how well the company was doing with Flight).

For the last 2 weeks, I've been starting flight for the "Aerocache of the day" (since Alaska doesn't have them listed) and wound up playing for many hours, trying different stuff, enjoying the scenery. I "felt" I was getting back into the Sim mode in a deep way using both FSX & mostly Flight but ... wow... getting speachless here...

At least, they'll continue supporting it for a while. I'll probably buy the VC CArbon WHEN it on special.. I like the ease of landing the plane affords, even though it's slow compared to the Maule.

BUT, there is now NO way to find the "Curvature of the Earth" Aerocache without cheating which saddens me. I really wanted 1 kind of jet based airplane. Guess we'll have to wait and see if they release an SDK (which, to me, would represent a huge step from MS to the community that loves this Sim).

Just needed to comment on this tragic end to a sim which I thought had tremendous potential. RIP.

Note that Flight showed others what *can* be done engine wise... who knows... perhaps something good will come out of this. And I know I'll still enjoy it for the foreseeable future.

But the really great thing that flight did for me... was it made me start training for my private pilots license. I have had 3 lessons so far in a real C-172 and will be flying with a new friend in a Cherokee 180 this weekend. I finally decided to go for real flying.

I have gone back to FSX recently because my home airport is there. I can start on the ramp and practice all the pre-flight and pre-takeoff checklists. The flying is not as real but I do have my actual home airport to fly from and all the local airports that will be in my cross-country territory.

Cool it brought you to real flying. I notice you list your location as Groton. What airport are you learning at. I learned at Mansfield (1B9) which is southeast of you maybe 40 miles or so. I grew up in Attleboro and Mansfield was the nearest airport to home.

The people that are waiting for FS11 I'm afraid will see it after Hell freezes over. Im sure the programmers at MS would rather work on the redesign of Pong, than another flight Sim.

Pong... yeah!

Whoop whoop.

Look forward to it.

Blackrat

Dang. I have a bunch of awards, achievements, and over 1 million points and nowhere to use them. Wonder if I can unload them on Epay? I also have some slightly used aircraft that the market might be interested in. And now that I own both Hawaii and Alaska, I'm thinking of going into the real estate business. See all is not lost. :P

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

yes, very depressing news, I really wanted another player to do well. If we're not careful, we really will be stuck with flying on consoles. Thank god for Laminar, the ball really is sitting, deflated, in their court, with the opponent limping after doing a hammy.

I think DCS just put on another 10 devs - if they are smart, they should! Next scenery is Nevada, imagine if THEY did alaska!

I think DCS World (free with a SU25T I believe) is Alaska am i wrong? Anyways, I am trying to fly that damn SU25T but holy crap it falls ouytta the sky on me like a rock everytime. I think I am gonna wait for Combat Pilot for the next sim I play. Gonna be hard because I love flying in Flight. Well let's hope the game keeps running. I got ALOT of stuff I haven't finished yet :)

What a crazy day high/low for me here in Kansas City. One i hear Google Fiber is only going to cost $70 a month (yay) then I hear my #1 game at the moment is done. The MS Flight model could have worked, it really was a novel good idea but one huge thing that I don't think anyone has brought up is that they should have had more content off the bat. I think the limited functionality of Hawaii really turned off a lot of people. Its pretty obvious this whole project was rushed and unorganized. This Joshua Howard guy seems like a real loser and in turn made us all losers...in my eyes Flight never had a chance with the poor leadership behind it. Time to dust off my FSX CDs...definitely wouldnt have uninstalled it had I known this game was only going to last for 4 months...

You see, many people hate to see others enjoying themselves and, sometimes when a person like that gains a position where they can inflict pain, they will. Well, someone has ruined my fun at least to some degree. It's like going to a party knowing all the food, although looking great, is stale.

So, if the pain inflicting people in power follow their nature, we will never see the SDK, ever.

Regards;

Fritz

Hmmm goodbye, you will not be missed. Now sell the code and make it worth.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11