Sign in to follow this  
jtwhite

Trying to like X-Plane

"Just call me somewhat of a perfectionist".

Not when you both misuse and misspell 'literally' I won't...:)

Anyway, I personally have no problem with people airing grumbles about anything. Good way to either get them dealt with, or expose them as misunderstandings (or lies).

So carry on grumblers! And XPers, have the confidence to deal with them calmly and openly. The sim is getting to a stage where we can do that!

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

If I was thrown out by Avsim, because I actually have some real knowlege on these subjects

Was that meant for us to read?

Now of all the reasons anyone has ever been "disfellowshipped" from Avsim, it has never been for that reason. In fact some real bright people have been run out, not because of what they know about many such things, but about what they don't know about respecting other's opinions and thinking they are too important to worry about being a pain in the posterior.

Hmmm, I have to think about something. If we have to choose between someone who knows everything but doesn't know when to respect the X-Plane community to exist in it's own forum in peace, and most everyone else in this community who is weary of all the constant berating, it is sort of a no brainer. 

Even as I sit by this mountain lake, drinking margaritas, I keep on guard with cell phone service....... To tell the unwary masses to be careful.... :)

Yes adding that smiley really takes the sting out of that bite. Very clever! Indeed, as in the other sims, XP-10 has its challenges, and its challengers, but you have been too persistent and far too caustic and sarcastic to be a benefit to these people.

So this is the reason you hang around? You shouldn't be allowed to do that. Honestly, Avsim should ask you to stay away!

I agree, and you are not, and we are now saying that the time has come. You have been most helpful in opening our eyes to the dangers and pitfalls of X10, of which we are most grateful, but it is time to take a break from your unrelenting task and go elsewhere within Avsim where your talents are more appreciated.

Been around this for 20 years or so. Just call me somewhat of a perfectionist. It's too bad, that some just tell others to go away...

Yes indeed, it is too bad that you have put me and other management in the place where we either compromise our ability to attract and keep XP-10 users within Avsim, in order to keep peace with old friends who go too far, or not...

Let me put it this way. You would be wise to volunteer to leave this topic and cool your heels in the XP10 forums for awhile, beginning right now. The same goes for the others who feel free to go slumming and stir up trouble for something to do.

If I still see you guys here and accounted for after tonight, I will have a talk to the boys about making a bold move to make us look good to the X-plane members and win back their trust for letting you hang out here as long as we have. B)

Read my lips, no more attacks or you guys will either be suspended or banned. Take a good long breather from the X-Plane forums.

Go home.

Kind regards,

WOW... a breath of fresh air.

And I'm sure Larry is preparing a statement for Avism staff as we speak... "I have 20 years experience... and I was only explaining the truth, blah, blah, blah".. in hopes of sticking around to continue his BS.

Thank you, Avism.  X-Plane  and its supporters apparently now have a more friendly place to visit.

Let's hope this trend continues.

Was that meant for us to read?

Now of all the reasons anyone has ever been "disfellowshipped" from Avsim, it has never been for that reason. In fact some real bright people have been run out, not because of what they know about many such things, but about what they don't know about respecting other's opinions and thinking they are too important to worry about being a pain in the posterior.

Hmmm, I have to think about something. If we have to choose between someone who knows everything but doesn't know when to respect the X-Plane community to exist in it's own forum in peace, and most everyone else in this community who is weary of all the constant berating, it is sort of a no brainer. 

Yes adding that smiley really takes the sting out of that bite. Very clever! Indeed, as in the other sims, XP-10 has its challenges, and its challengers, but you have been too persistent and far too caustic and sarcastic to be a benefit to these people.

I agree, and you are not, and we are now saying that the time has come. You have been most helpful in opening our eyes to the dangers and pitfalls of X10, of which we are most grateful, but it is time to take a break from your unrelenting task and go elsewhere within Avsim where your talents are more appreciated.

Yes indeed, it is too bad that you have put me and other management in the place where we either compromise our ability to attract and keep XP-10 users within Avsim, in order to keep peace with old friends who go too far, or not...

Let me put it this way. You would be wise to volunteer to leave this topic and cool your heels in the XP10 forums for awhile, beginning right now. The same goes for the others who feel free to go slumming and stir up trouble for something to do.

If I still see you guys here and accounted for after tonight, I will have a talk to the boys about making a bold move to make us look good to the X-plane members and win back their trust for letting you hang out here as long as we have. B)

Read my lips, no more attacks or you guys will either be suspended or banned. Take a good long breather from the X-Plane forums.

Go home.

Kind regards,

Thank you so much, AVSIM has slowly  become my forum of choice for X-Plane, it is  more active, more informed and more friendly than some of the alternatives. However, some of the more interesting debates have nearly always attracted X-Plane bashing, usually with the same, overly repeated arguments. I enjoy X-plane more than any sim I have flown in nearly 20 years, yes it is flawed, yes the "other sim" does some things that are undoubtably better, but for me the single most impressive aspect of X-Plane is, IMHO, it's immersion, and at the end of the day, that is the most important feature of any simulation.

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

I am sure Larry will understand some of the arguments here.

After all, more than me, he has been a stable X-Plane10 and 9 user, while I am better known for jumping between sims, starting MS FLIGHT :-)

I am also sure that, just like all of us, Larry simply wants X-Plane10 to become an even better simulator, and with his RL knowledge he contributes by pointing out important details. Instead of reading / interpreting his posts as pure bash, I rather use them to complement my own oppinion.

One of the things I really would like to be able to do would be to pick one of the default, very basic, RV models that come with X-Plane10 and, with Larry's help, modify it in Plane-Maker to bring it as close as possible to what he knows it to fly like from his RL flight experience.

Honestly, and while I can understand some of your points when you feel uncomfortable  reading the same arguments regarding the present limitations and shortccomings of X-Plane10 over and over, I respect Larry's views an oppinions, and actually share with him most of those thoughts.

j.c.monteiro ( from a rainy LPMT )

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Pardon the spelling. I type one finger on this little iPhone. It's easy to miss.

I am sure Larry will understand some of the arguments here.

After all, more than me, he has been a stable X-Plane10 and 9 user, while I am better known for jumping between sims, starting MS FLIGHT :-)

I am also sure that, just like all of us, Larry simply wants X-Plane10 to become an even better simulator, and with his RL knowledge he contributes by pointing out important details. Instead of reading / interpreting his posts as pure bash, I rather use them to complement my own oppinion.

One of the things I really would like to be able to do would be to pick one of the default, very basic, RV models that come with X-Plane10 and, with Larry's help, modify it in Plane-Maker to bring it as close as possible to what he knows it to fly like from his RL flight experience.

Honestly, and while I can understand some of your points when you feel uncomfortable  reading the same arguments regarding the present limitations and shortccomings of X-Plane10 over and over, I respect Larry's views an oppinions, and actually share with him most of those thoughts.

j.c.monteiro ( from a rainy LPMT )

I can only second your thoughts jcomm.

To me Larry has some good and valid points when it comes to XP's FM.

I'd like to see XP10 going forward and introduce some serious updates to the core flight model.

Right now XP is my only flight simming future, simply because of Plane Maker, I love to make own aircrafts and fiddle around, means only what can be archived with Plane Maker as I'm not a 3D artist or programmer, but this is what keeps me interested in flight simming. Only XP offers that in a nice manner without having to use a text editor.

Cheers,

Marcus

I find these debates curious for the following reason:

I am a long time FS* simmer and I think we all know that FSX is a dead end and also that we will all have to transition over to XPX in time.

I think many of us FSX users, myself included, have countless payware dollars sunk into FSX and so hesitate to abandon it but, we also realize we have to make a hard decision soon.

So, IMHO, most of these debates are for the benefit of FSX users trying to decide when to transition to XPX.

spacer.png

Pardon the spelling. I type one finger on this little iPhone. It's easy to miss.

Get a Samsung Note II Larry, you may be better off with it, I know I am. I too had issues with the iphone keyboard being too small.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

@marcus11: Exactly!  I am having a hell of a GREAT time using Plane-Maker too. I've used a lot of programs, including hexa editors, since the time of fs4, to build and tweak MSFS air files, but it had been a long time since I did that, so, starting to learn the myriad of hypotesis in PM is giving me lot's joy ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

It is not sensible debate that is the problem. It is the same people hammering the same things over and over again, ad nauseum, which cause others to over react and automatically generates overreaction to the over reactors.

Moderating staff trying to lower the temperatures of all concerned get mauled by the same few people who think there is a divine right to freeze the conversation on the faults, and not a positive or even a more balanced view of issues.

I am not trying to tape anyone's mouth shut, but I am going to enforce a cooling off period. I asked those who have pretty much one track negative messages to take a break and give the guys here some breathing room. We are not limiting debate, we are trying to lessen the abuse of it.

We may not be moderating in perfect conjunction with some who think they know better and disagree, but we will not back away of finding ways of making this forum work. If those who rile others continuously won't temper their own activity, on both sides, then we will do it the best way we can, no matter how unfairly some may see it. 

Kind regards,

@SpiritFlyer: I am sure your intervention was positive for all, me included :-) 

All of the best from this side of the pond, on a less rainy LPMT !

Main Simulation Rig:

Yeah, and don't forget SwiftKey. Man, I love that app! I'd rather type messages on my nexus 4 than on my Ipad because of it.

Skickat från min Nexus 4 via Tapatalk 2

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

You're entitled to your opinions, however there are many if us who like to be involved with a development beta process. There are some terrific positives imo, not the least is that community discussion often has a positive influence on subsequent feature changes.

Oh I do too.  I've been in several open Betas, and even a couple of Alphas. Many of the open source apps I use are technically in Beta.  It's just that none of them came shrinkwrapped and sold as a finished product. That is the practice I find disingenuous and can't bring myself to support.  Letting people buy in to an unfinished product early in its development cycle for a discount, the model used by Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program, is another matter, and a brilliant idea.

Like I said, this is a general point of principle for me and not a direct slam against X-Plane.  In fact I think Laminar are doing themselves a great disservice by clinging to the Beta tag. 

I've got a couple of sincere, honest questions about X-Plane for its current users, but I think I'll save them for another day and another thread, since this one has gotten a little bit too heated and I don't want my questions to be interpreted as passive-aggressive attacks.

Peace out, and all that.

Dr V