Sign in to follow this  
jtwhite

Trying to like X-Plane

Fsx users need to stop playing the 'its in beta, I'm not paying for that' card.

Hi Jess

Just for the record, since I suspect that sentence was aimed at me, I had absolutely no idea that X-Plane 10 was officially still in Beta - I still find it hard to believe, frankly - and no idea that fact was a commonly used stick to beat it with by more enthusiastic FSX fans.

As an IT professional I'm well aware that the practice of releasing Betas commercially is becoming more widespread.  Cynics would say that many software houses have been doing that on the sly for years, with Service Pack 2 being the actual "finished" product.  I think it's a disingenuous practice and one that we as customers should discourage with our purchases (or non-purchases).  Again, speaking generally, not specifically.  I'm still flabbergasted that a top end, polished product like X-Plane 10 is still a shrink-wrapped Beta 18 months after release.  

Take the Beta tag off, be honest and say "This is the product, as-is.  There may be bugs, there may be things that can be done better."  Because the same can be said of just about any software product in the history of ever.  Defending X-Plane with the excuse that it's still a Beta is a cheap and easy get-out.  That is what I find discouraging.

I wholeheartedly agree that that version/edition/platform wars are just as pointless and ridiculous as they are in just about every other hobby field.  It's an inescapable fact though - the future of hobbyist flightsimming will rest with a sim that isn't going to be FSX (and almost certainly won't be MS FS).  It might be X-Plane, it might be FlightGear, it might be some new killer project that some university undergrad is working on in his spare time right now.

No animosity here, no slanging.  I just keep coming back to look at X-Plane to see whether it's time for me to take the plunge past the free demo.  The answer, for me at least at the moment, seems to be "not yet".  But I'm still watching, and don't begrudge other simmers a single moment of the enjoyment they may be getting from X-Plane. 

Regards

Dr V

Come to bed dear! 
….I can't! Someone is thinking of buying X-Plane, got to tell him about the exaggerated roll and the torque bug and the …

Torfi

"I don't agree with this at all.  I have several cockpit videos of ATR72s, and Q400s, and as soon as the aircraft leaves the ground, you can see the pilot turn the yoke to adjust the aileron control to keep the aircraft level.  I have to do the exact same thing in XPX64 with these turbo props.

You can go into settings and tone down the controls very slightly (set them just a little more to liniar), which makes the controls seem more manageable and stable within the sim."

I have a lot of videos doing the same-but it is not because of torque but the mark of a commercial grade pilot to keep absolute alignment with the runway centerline after becoming airborne by crabbing into the wind.

XP is essentially an ever-evolving product. It may or may not be still in beta, but it is far from a finished product. The only problem is that nobody, including LR know when productions will cease on a particular feature and not be revisited util XP11. Once Austin feels an item is checked, there is little any of us can do to sway him unless we all come to a consensus and chew his ear off.

When you buy XP10, you can download a nearly fully working demo and test it for yourself. It doesn't have the scenery that the full version will include, but the aircraft and program are the same as in the full version, so nothing will change as far as how the program works. If you like what you see, buy it. If you are missing something that is a deal-breaker, don't. I am missing ATC and AI traffic in XP, but the recent AI traffic addon has closed that gap pretty well. Now for an ATC module to go with it.

My biggest issue is that I don't know until I hear that XP10 is final what will or will not be continued in development and fleshed out. That is what is referred to as a continual beta lifecycle.

@Dr Vesuvius thanks for the reply. Honestly, I wasn't really referencing you or anyone particular, just speaking in general terms. No harm done.

Best wishes,

Jess B

Come to bed dear!

….I can't! Someone is thinking of buying X-Plane, got to tell him about the exaggerated roll and the torque bug and the …

Even as I sit by this mountain lake, drinking margaritas, I keep on guard with cell phone service....... To tell the unwary masses to be careful.... :)

Even as I sit by this mountain lake, drinking margaritas, I keep on guard with cell phone service....... To tell the unwary masses to be careful.... :)

So this is the reason you hang around? You shouldn't be allowed to do that. Honestly, Avsim should ask you to stay away!

You're entitled to your opinions, however there are many if us who like to be involved with a development beta process. There are some terrific positives imo, not the least is that community discussion often has a positive influence on subsequent feature changes.

With regard to the torque issue, the sim itself has the facility to modify to your own particular interpretation of how it should be. The way any particular plane models this currently is entirely based on how the aircraft builder sees it. Yes there is over torque ... but we have ways around it till its fixed. The argument is old and tired and everyone knows about it.

I occasionally fly P3D ... I've removed FSX ... and neither can hold a candle to XPX ... IMO.

LR is small team. It's a wonderful opportunity to be able to be a small part of the journey, to be part of the X-Plane experience, though I appreciate this might nor be everyone's cup of tea. Regards, Kris.

Strange thing is that nobody goes to the FSX forums (maybe someone should?) to warn the unwary masses about e.g. the icy runway bug, or the thunderstorms bug, or ....

So let's calm down again and enjoy everone the sim he/she likes. Life could be so easy ...

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Yes, lets enjoy the fact that we actually have a choice between 3 excellent sims. :rolleyes: Getting tired off all this vs that sim...

So this is the reason you hang around? You shouldn't be allowed to do that. Honestly, Avsim should ask you to stay away!

Of course not. I prefer the have them both route. I do . On the other hand, would you just prefer that things remain make believe, without some actual knowledge being brought forth.

Over at another forum, when a poster made an honest rely about the torque subject, they latterly tried to tear him apart. He was asked to go learn about engine torque before any more unworthy and unqualified statements. Turned out his real job in life, was flying the plane in question. A short while later, I see that he was banned. But apparently came back later. He really was quite civil with his remarks. Just made professional opinions, is all.

As to my last statement, it included a homemade cell phone smiley. Don't take it serious. On the other hand, if I'm to think of buying a major CPU upgrade, it would be for several flight sims, not just one. If I was thrown out by Avsim, because I actually have some real knowlege on these subjects....... Then I'd probably give up on idea of flight simulation altogether. Been around this for 20 years or so. Just call me somewhat of a perfectionist. It's too bad, that some just tell others to go away, as they did to that commercial pilot, who also had an interest I flight simulation. Statistically, most commercial pills just haven't got into desktop sims. Keep in mind, I do own version 8 & 9, as well as a plane bought specifically for the 10 demo. I will have both, unless my years of age get me first.

OH LOOK!  Someone at AVSIM brought up X-Planes flight model.  I wonder what's happening at Larry's house?

Wait for it….. wait for it… wait for it…

2) The superior weather effects

Even without snow or rain?   :blink:

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

X-plane has rain.

NAX669.png