Sign in to follow this  
Wothan

Almost a month has now passed since last SP update...

I think Kyle's response to the OP in this instance has been inoffensive, rational and measured.

In this community, PMDG is on the short list of top-tier developers and we all know that.  A big part of that reputation comes from what happens after the 1.0 release.  I don't recall anything in my purchase agreement that obligates PMDG to provide me with anything more than what I paid for when I bought the 777.  Even so, they've spent the last nine months working on a service pack because they want to make an already solid product the absolute best it can be.

No doubt they'll be able to leverage this work into other offerings, but think about this:  They already have our money.  Like so many other developers in and out of the flightsim world, they could simply call the 777 done and move on to the next money grab.  But they've made it abundantly clear that--although it's taking longer than anticipated--a service pack is on its way.

With that in mind, I think Kyle poses a fair question:  What exactly does anyone who is asking about the status of the service pack expect for an answer?  I'm sure everyone at PMDG is more than anxious to share the big news once they're satisfied it's ready to roll, and I have little doubt that they're as anxious to have it wrapped up as we are to get our hands on it.  In the meantime, I think it's safe to assume that whether we get it tomorrow or three months from now that they're hard at work and doing everything possible to get it right and not push a half-baked update out the door just to meet some artificial deadline.

That's precisely what I was getting at.  I'm glad someone sees where I was going.  I don't think I intimated it as nicely as you did, but that's definitely - exactly - what I was getting at.

Kyle Rodgers

Perhaps a response such as.  "We have no new information to give you at this time however we are progressing well with SP1.  Should there be any news to tell you we will be sure to post up the updates"

That took me 20 seconds to put together and would certainly satisfy the OP's question.  If the content is true of course.

Hirdy

I think everyone here needs their keyboard taken away for a few days....

Breathe people

~William Genovese~

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg         KAB200_sig3.jpg

But what good will that do you? It will still be no closer to being released. Do you doubt PMDG now? Do you think they've just given up and quit? They are working on it. PERIOD. That's it.

I can't believe some people even are capable of flying the thing in the first place when they can't get it into their heads how this process works yet. We've been here before. The same thing happens over and over and over and over and over and over and over....again. If they can't grasp this, how do they fly a plane? I'm afraid for their virtual passengers.

PMDG will release SP1 when they feel it's ready. PERIOD.

PMDG will release the 777-300 when it's ready. PERIOD.

PMDG will have a release date for the 747v2 when they are ready to release it. PERIOD.

PMDG will release SP2 for the NGX when they are ready. PERIOD.

PMDG will let us know what's next when they know what's next. PERIOD.

They will provide updates as they see fit and when there is something worthy of taking time to update. PERIOD.

How hard is this to comprehend? To get? To just not have to have all these useless threads go on and on and on? Seriously. How many times do you have to bang your head against a wall before you realize it hurts and probably isn't very good for you to keep doing? What's the definition of insanity?

Anyway, I'm sure this is going to come off very bad and be disliked etc by most everyone here. But, well, sometimes the truth is hard to swallow I guess. I know Kyle catches some flack for his "bluntness". But his call on things and that brutal honesty is refreshing. Sometimes things are what they are and it should be ok to tell it like is in no uncertain terms. Unfortunately, in this day and age, you have to be very careful on everything you say because even hurting someone's can cost you no matter how true whatever it was that you said was.

So, this is just me trying to tell it like it is here. It's why some people get mad at these topics. Because, this is what it is. The release isn't going to happen any faster and just because you want the update doesn't mean you're going to get one. It is what it is! Now learn that and just be patient like the rest of us.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Perhaps a response such as.  "We have no new information to give you at this time however we are progressing well with SP1.  Should there be any news to tell you we will be sure to post up the updates"

That took me 20 seconds to put together and would certainly satisfy the OP's question.  If the content is true of course.

Hirdy

...and therein lies the rub.

The second anyone from PMDG posted such a response there would be a dozen follow up questions demanding to know why it's taking so long and questioning whether they're giving a straight answer or trying to cover something up and otherwise behaving as if PMDG is under some sort of statutory obligation to provide such information at our behest.

In my opinion, the prudent course of action is to assume that progress is being made on SP1 and the minute there's news they will be sure to let us know.  Any other option, as we see herein, is counterproductive for everyone involved.

Richard P. Kelly

This is, with out a sliver of a doubt, the greatest forum in the history of the almighty and expansive internet.

Nothing comes close to the discussions I see on avsim. Show me something better elswere and I will fill my bath tub full of Wendy's chicken strips, and bathe.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

This thread is turning into the update thread Tabs closed, only much worse. I think this one ran its course too, and then some.

Cristi Neagu

Guys I think the solution here is to either use another high end addon like the NGX or just try and have a break from civil flight simming. Since I only have the 777 and is the only aircraft I use, I've decided to completely uninstall FSX and try and do something else and it has worked. I now don't visit Avsim every 10 minutes to check for a release update since the waiting time doesn't bother me any more. I know PMDG is hard at work and that's what matters.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yusuf Keyre

Being the one who started this thread, I must say that I was afraid it would take this course - unfortunatly.

Please read the OP and see that all I did was asking politely about some kind of status.

I did not DEMAND a date for the SP release or anything near this.

I´m an avid flightsimmer and also work as FSX aircraft addon developer myself, so I know the ins and outs of this business very good.

I have most of all aircrat addons thats worth to have (Majestic, A2A, Coolsky, Qualitywings, Aerosoft and offcourse PMDG) and also linger around in their respective support forums.

What strikes me though is that questions that are so natural to ask in those other support forums are not deemed right to ask here without being bashed right away by "too agressive supporters" (F a n b o y) like Kyle.

There is nothing wrong being a "too agressive supporter" or to act definsive for their favorit addon supplier, but I still feel it´s fair for paying customers to ask about an update on a SP that has been announced to be in the works for now almost 9 month and where no sign of what kind of progress has happened within the last month.

If flightsimming was a religion, then part of this community could be called fundementalists and that has never been healthy.

Being a FSX aircraft developer myself and also helping people who has bought the addons I have participated in, I know that a silence this long wouldn´t be accepted, not in "my" support forum or in any other addon support forums, but seemingly it is fully accepted here and questioning that only causes sour feedback by the "too agressive supporter" crowd.

I did not ask in order to push PMDG, cause I know that this is not how bugfixing works. All I asked for was an update on where we are. Have they been sick and thus not being able to move forwards (they don´t need to tell stories about tei privat lifes)? are they adding new features (like the weather radar) cause they suddently saw an opportunity to do so ? or are they just at a standstill cause the remaing bug(s) are harder to solve than anticipated ?

A simple "Unfurtunatly we are still struggling with the last bits" would be an Ok answer for me, but no news are the same as no communication, which for me is important.

I do not expect a daily or weekly update from PMDG, but a monthly briefing, whatever that will contain, should not be too hard to give.

Do I regret my OP ? - no cause my simplt question is still unanswered and communication lines still broken.

Finn Jacobsen

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

This topic is a nice prove to why modern leadership acknowledge important communication to be said by people for the people face to face. Throw in a recorded tape or video and all these topics is not needed. Takes the communication leader 5 minutes maybe in words spoken.? Skype is so great :-)

How about a goal for the #update# team. 4 times a month or less? Just takes the frustrating out of the hole update debate.

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

After reading this thread, PMDG have decided to go out of business.   :lol:

Serves you right!   :P

Yes thanks to Kyle.

Mo45

The arguments in this thread are silly.

Let's remember a fact here - WE ARE FULLY PAID UP CUSTOMERS OF PMDG!!! WE BOUGHT THE RIGHT TO ASK QUESTIONS.

There is at least one major bug for which a hotfix should have been released long ago to address (FBW autotrimming during manual flight), and this issue for many people makes the aircraft unflyable.

Given the length of time since release to now, the wait is becoming unacceptable given the price tag paid for the product.

If there are people here who do not like it, go read another thread.

Best regards,

Robin.

If it was up to me I WOULD schedule an update to keep everyone happy, IE: April 01 - Nothing new to report. May 01 - Nothing new to report. June 01 - Nothing new to report. And so on. I have just installed Skyrim again and will use that as a timeout from simming until I can devote some time to the 77L\W SP1. Calm down and carry on people!

The arguments in this thread are silly.

Let's remember a fact here - WE ARE FULLY PAID UP CUSTOMERS OF PMDG!!! WE BOUGHT THE RIGHT TO ASK QUESTIONS.

There is at least one major bug for which a hotfix should have been released long ago to address (FBW autotrimming during manual flight), and this issue for many people makes the aircraft unflyable.

Given the length of time since release to now, the wait is becoming unacceptable given the price tag paid for the product.

If there are people here who do not like it, go read another thread.

Best regards,
Robin.

You do have a point however Robin. Perhaps the WXR and so on should have been kept for SP2 and SP1 merely a collection of hotfixes? I think had PMDG known that the development would take this long they MAY have considered that, but then we are so close to release now that they might as well continue to push on through this storm. I think it is a bit harsh to call it unflyable; it seems to be almost the default airplane on VATSIM and the like these days and while yes hand flying might be incorrect, you can at least learn all the systems and still have lots of fun with it.