Sign in to follow this  
Wothan

Almost a month has now passed since last SP update...

(...)

There is at least one major bug for which a hotfix should have been released long ago to address (FBW autotrimming during manual flight), and this issue for many people makes the aircraft unflyable.

(...)

The autotrim bug is there, but it doesn't make the plane manually unflyable. And a hotfix for it has been out of the question due to interdependencies in coding.

Why do we need to go around in circles again and again?

For me the major missing part, of the T7, is the SDK to interact with all our hardware.

Not to mention FS2crew that will be released only after the sdk.

Another subject is the added future of the SDK for the NGX, that until the SP1 of T7 will not see the light.

There are several other add-on that can take advantage like desk pilot (share cockpit)  for NGX and so on.

Let me quote what Rob said a while ago:

We have some key pieces that are not finished, and they will need 5 days of testing once finished...  So...  if they take 3,820 days to finish- we will release in 3,825 days.  If they are finished in 1 day..we will release in 6.  Re-read this sentence ten times if you don't understand, please.

So what is there to update about? They don't know how long it takes to finish it. It could be solved in a week or a year. So why do you have to ask for updates on a regular basis?

So what is there to update about? They don't know how long it takes to finish it. It could be solved in a week or a year. So why do you have to ask for updates on a regular basis?

Because people  have nothing  else  to do but  to complain every 5  minutes,  when they do give  a update  it will start all over again where's the next update :P

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The arguments in this thread are silly.

Let's remember a fact here - WE ARE FULLY PAID UP CUSTOMERS OF PMDG!!! WE BOUGHT THE RIGHT TO ASK QUESTIONS.

There is at least one major bug for which a hotfix should have been released long ago to address (FBW autotrimming during manual flight), and this issue for many people makes the aircraft unflyable.

Given the length of time since release to now, the wait is becoming unacceptable given the price tag paid for the product.

If there are people here who do not like it, go read another thread.

Best regards,

Robin.

holy words sir +1

Damn, I missed the start of this popcorn moment

colbert-popcorn.gif

I stated that I didn't understand the reasoning behind people asking for updates. As I stated from the outset, it was an honest question. I did not demand an answer. I simply stated that I was curious as to the motivation behind the question. That is it. It wasn't meant to be snide, it wasn't meant to be sarcastic, and it wasn't meant to be negative in any way.

I feel that each time you answer with a negative comment or a rude comment you are trying to feed the TROLLS.  I made one post in one of the other threads that I felt was within the bounds of the forum and I received a warning about feeding the TROLLS, which is what I see you and others here doing.  Just something to keep things stirred up with no logical answer to a question.

Harry Nelson

The arguments in this thread are silly.

Let's remember a fact here - WE ARE FULLY PAID UP CUSTOMERS OF PMDG!!! WE BOUGHT THE RIGHT TO ASK QUESTIONS.

Given the length of time since release to now, the wait is becoming unacceptable given the price tag paid for the product.

If there are people here who do not like it, go read another thread.

Best regards,

Robin.

But, the argument of we are a paying customer isn't the point either.  At least not for what I'm saying.  Filling the forums with these useless posts that sit up in the most recently commented on posts taking away from posts that have much more important and real things to deal with is when they don't need to be here is the point.

Again, we aren't getting SP1, the 300, NGX SP2, 747v2 etc until PMDG is done with it.  Whenever that is.  PERIOD.  So what is the point of all this asking when you're just going to get an answer that doesn't really matter.  This is how PMDG works.  I don't disagree that this is definitely a long time to wait for fixes and whatever.  But, irregardless to all that, THIS IS WHAT IT IS!

It's that part that I just can't get why everyone can't get?  Like I said in my earlier post, at what point do you realize hitting your head against a wall hurts and you probably shouldn't do it any more?  Seriously?  When?

What difference will it really make to you or anyone else that you know that they just finished line number 6638 in file left_landing_gear_wheel_ball_bearing_number_two.c?  What difference will that make?  They will still be x days, weeks, months, years away from release.  This I guess is my biggest point to the frustration of seeing these posts over and over again.  I just sit back and say, "C'mon man".  Can't you get it yet?

I'm in the development business too(though luckily I don't have to face or answer to customers directly - probably a good thing given my train of thought here and my "tell it like it is" attitude too :)).  So, I understand how this works as well.  I understand that in this day and age of instant gratification, everyone wants everything yesterday, delivered to them, for cheaper than they paid for it the year before but in better quality, etc.

But, PMDG is in the lucky position to be able to do things their way.  They are taking their time(I don't mean they aren't working on it by any means here) and making the product the best they can.  They aren't succumbing to the pressures that the public and their customers are putting on them.  They are sticking true to what they believe in and making the best aircraft in the sim world.

We all know this by now.  Unless you were just born recently, this is common knowledge.  We've all been to this rodeo before and no one likes the outcomes and we all know where they head, as the OP started out by saying even.  So, one last time, really - why?  Why do we have to continue to repeat the same thing over and over and over again thinking there will somehow now be different results?

IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!  The date and time that you have said aircraft won't change.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

The autotrim bug is there, but it doesn't make the plane manually unflyable. And a hotfix for it has been out of the question due to interdependencies in coding.

Why do we need to go around in circles again and again?

It doesn't stop the aircraft flying, no. It flies, but the problem totally detracts from the enjoyment of flying it.

Regarding "interdependencies in coding" - my day job is software design/development. 9 months (according to a post further up - that is how long it has been since release) is much too long to fix issues and get an update out to people.

New features are very welcome, but they must never block the release of fixes.

Best regards,

Robin.

How about this... Next time someone asks for a status update from PMDG EVERYONE refrains from trying to answer, and we let the people the question is addressed to do the talking: PMDG. If they feel it deserves an answer, they will give it. If not, post gets buried.

Cristi Neagu

Again, we aren't getting SP1...until PMDG is done with it.  Whenever that is.  PERIOD.

I think most people (myself included) have been very patient, but being told the question started by the OP, 9 months on, is rediculous, a waste of time, etc.., is outrageous.

As I just wrote in my post above, the new features are very welcome, but they should not delay bug fixes. For them to do so is poor planning.

Best regards,

Robin.

What strikes me though is that questions that are so natural to ask in those other support forums are not deemed right to ask here without being bashed right away by "too agressive supporters" (F a n b o y) like Kyle.

I refuse to be made into the bad guy here for asking an honest question.  My original question is as follows:

"What do you want to know? I'm honestly curious as to what you want to hear in terms of an update."

It doesn't need to be read into, over thought, or anything else.  It very clearly asks:

"What would you like to hear, in terms of an update?  What topics would you like to be addressed?  What would you expect as an answer from someone who is able to give it to you?"

Oddly enough, instead of logically approaching the question and answering it, people have vilified me and made me into a bad guy for asking a simple question.  ANSWER THE QUESTION OR DON'T PARTICIPATE, they all say...but none of them are answering the question, and are treating me like a pile of dirt.

It's a very simple question, just as the original question is.  An example answer to my question would be:

"I'm expecting an update from an official PMDG team member, and I'm asking because [insert your own logic here]."

My problem is that I find no logic in asking the question, which is why I asked you to explain it in the first place.  I'm not owed an answer.  I didn't demand it.  So, just as you defended your innocence in asking, I ask that you step back and see the innocence in mine.  You didn't demand an answer.  You simply asked for one.  I didn't demand an answer.  I simply asked for one.  I don't understand the logic in asking a question that - in my opinion - we all know the answer to.  As such, I simply asked that someone do me the favor of explaining their logic to me.  It wasn't asked to invalidate the question, or be rude, or mean, or anything else.  I asked because I don't understand, and here's the kicker:

Everyone gives me such a hard time for not understanding people, and maintaining this distance of apparent disdain through sarcasm and general haughtiness.  Oddly enough, one of the few times I'm actually trying to honestly ask a question in an effort to understand a group that I don't understand, I get called names, taunted, and otherwise pushed away.

I'm not the enemy here.  I asked an honest question that I expected a rational answer to, just as you did.  Your question was innocent, as is mine...except, despite everyone's assertion that I'm the bad guy, I'm not the one calling names and otherwise being ugly to someone who asked a valid, honest, innocent question.

You do have a point however Robin. Perhaps the WXR and so on should have been kept for SP2 and SP1 merely a collection of hotfixes? I think had PMDG known that the development would take this long they MAY have considered that, but then we are so close to release now that they might as well continue to push on through this storm. I think it is a bit harsh to call it unflyable; it seems to be almost the default airplane on VATSIM and the like these days and while yes hand flying might be incorrect, you can at least learn all the systems and still have lots of fun with it. 

Regarding "interdependencies in coding" - my day job is software design/development. 9 months (according to a post further up - that is how long it has been since release) is much too long to fix issues and get an update out to people.

New features are very welcome, but they must never block the release of fixes.

Your misunderstanding of the process here is showing, and is putting across an improper view of what is going on (and could be argued as misleading to those who don't know about how software projects are managed).  The new features didn't and aren't holding up fixes of existing problems...

Robin, since you claim to be in software development, this should be 100% obvious to you, so I'm curious as to how much coding and software development you actually do.  Perhaps you do, and it's just not in a team environment.  When you have a team of people working on software development, you generally divide and conquer various projects related to the overall program.  You often don't have people all sitting together collectively writing code for the same process.  That would waste too much time.  Instead, most teams assign various processes to different people.  In this case, the FBW overhaul was assigned to the very person who is best at solving that issue.  That person has been working this whole time on both fixing it, and tweaking it to the liking of the testing teams to make it better and better.  Other people have been working on other projects during this time, both to resolve issues, and add new features.

This is neither a foreign concept, nor a difficult one.

Example:

I released a product that has 3 defects that need to be mitigated, and my team consists of 5 people.

Person 1 is my expert at resolving the items related to defect 1.

Person 2 is my expert at resolving the items related to defect 2.

Person 3 is my expert at resolving the items related to defect 3.

Persons 4 and 5 do not have tasking, and I'm not in a position to move them onto a different project just yet, so I assign them to create new functionality that we've been tossing around.

Defects 1, 2 and 3 are not delayed by the new projects, because they were being worked by untasked resources.

Additionally, the very fact that the FBW issue is still being worked on to make it behave nearly perfectly means that, despite your assertions otherwise, a HF could not (and therefore should not) have been sent out a while ago.  You can only issue HFs if you can solve the issue.  The issue has been vastly improved, as has been noted by the team, and a couple beta team members, but it hasn't been solved yet.  Ergo, no, a HF should not have been sent out a while ago.  If you believe it's a simple issue, you're welcome to go write up your own code and release your own 777.  According to you, it's a rather simple endeavor.

Kyle Rodgers

WOW... I read your post, but I'm not going to respond to it. You're making it personal, which this isn't.

From the outside looking in, it appears that new features are delaying release of bug fixes. It doesn't matter if that is correct or not - that is how it appears.

It's unprofessional to comment on other dev teams, ESPECIALLY not knowing how they operate, but the appearance is that these new features are holding up the bug fixes.

9 months? Really? That is what needs addressing here.

Best regards,

Robin.

PS: clear your PM inbox.

I refuse to be made into the bad guy here for asking an honest question.

Absolutely...a reasoned response.  I doubt you'll persuade the 'now, now, now' posters. I doubt that they even know what they want, or rather they know it's the release.  No amount of news would be good enough, i think it was Rob who asked (aibeit sarcastically) if people wanted to know if a line of code was deleted?

Ian R Tyldesley

WOW... I read your post, but I'm not going to respond to it. You're making it personal, which this isn't.

From the outside looking in, it appears that new features are delaying release of bug fixes. It doesn't matter if that is correct or not - that is how it appears.

It's unprofessional to comment on other dev teams, ESPECIALLY not knowing how they operate, but the appearance is that these new features are holding up the bug fixes.

9 months? Really? That is what needs addressing here.

It really isn't personal.  How is it at all personal?  You made an assertion that you know about software development and how it works, in what I'm guessing was an attempt to let everyone know that your opinion on what it looks like carries a higher weight than a passing observer with no experience.

Doing so, of course, carries a responsibility.  If one is going to assert one is in the software development community, and therefore "in the know," one should be responsible enough to accurately portray said community.  You said it yourself: "It's unprofessional to comment on other dev teams, ESPECIALLY not knowing how they operate, but the appearance is that these new features are holding up the bug fixes."  Since you, yourself, said that, and since you publicly stated that you're in the community, you should observe your own words.  Instead, you've been doing quite a lot of just the opposite here, asserting that things should and should not be happening, all after noting that you're also a programmer and therefore know how all of this works.

PMs cleared (the max amount must've changed, because I was actually over it by about 27), fire away.

Kyle Rodgers