Sign in to follow this  
Wothan

Almost a month has now passed since last SP update...

I know that it might be dangerous to ask...

But how about an update on the SP ?

..or at least some sign that it´s going in the right direction.

Finn Jacobsen

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

What do you want to know? I'm honestly curious as to what you want to hear in terms of an update.

• Upvote 3

This always reminds me of the tian tian pregnancy updates that take place on BBC Radio 4's PM program on a Friday...Eddie Mair "no news".  Brings a smile to my face every time i read one of these.

• Upvote 2

Shall we play the ole 'sign with your full real name in the PMDG forums' game with Finn Jacobsen again?   :P

EDIT:

He's edited his name into his post - Finn takes the fun out of everything!!!   :lol:

(Finn, I'm just kidding: This is a quote from RSR when he was referring to one of his "coders".)

Edited by olli4740

I, too, am anxious for the release of SP1, but only so I can see how soon after its release someone starts crying for SP2.

I'm sure if there is something that they wish to tell us regarding the SP1 and/or 77W then they will. It may be nearly a month since the previous update, but I do not believe updates are a requirement.

We're getting more repetition here and unfortunately, it will never stop. It's the internet on a public forum - what's to be expected? 

All it requires is patience, while updates are good for the peace of mind; they're not a necessity. All in good time...

Finn Jacobsen

You won't get any answer and you will only attract the cheer squad who will give you a belting.

• Upvote 1

Shall we play the ole 'sign with your full real name in the PMDG forums' game with Finn Jacobsen again?   :P

I´m not afraid to sign with my full name.... sorry if I missed that (corrected now).

The question was not asked to stir up anything, though I feared it would.

I simply asked, since there has been quite a period of silence on this matter, and any other developement team would have been asked the same, if an equal situation had been going on with their product.

I´m actually quite happy with all my PMDG products (FS9 737 NG, FS9 747, FSX 747-400/8i, MD-11, 737-600/900 NGX, J4100) and has always backed PMDG.

It´s not that the 777 is unflyable for me, but it´s no secret here that SP1 is long time overdue, which PMDG also has admitted themself.

So I don´t see whats wrong by asking for some kind of update now a month has passed since the last one - also if the answer is that they simply still are fighting with some issues that prevent the release.

Finn Jacobsen

• Upvote 4

Am I totally out-of-sync here in that I find the 4 PMDG aircraft in my hangar, i.e.747-400, MD-11, 737NGX,and the 777-220LR so immersive enough to keep me enjoying my hobby, that I scarcely have time to bother when the SP1 comes out or not? Maybe I am...........it'll come when it;s ready.

A month of no news is nothing when it comes to PMDG. But when they actually have something to say they will give an update. No need to ask for one. Learned that awhile back.

I´m not afraid to sign with my full name.... sorry if I missed that (corrected now).

I simply asked, since there has been quite a period of silence on this matter, and any other developement team would have been asked the same, if an equal situation had been going on with their product.

I´m actually quite happy with all my PMDG products (FS9 737 NG, FS9 747, FSX 747-400/8i, MD-11, 737-600/900 NGX, J4100) and has always backed PMDG.

It´s not that the 777 is unflyable for me, but it´s no secret here that SP1 is long time overdue, which PMDG also has admitted themself.

So I don´t see whats wrong by asking for some kind of update now a month has passed since the last one - also if the answer is that they simply still are fighting with some issues that prevent the release.

Finn Jacobsen

Its probably the whole p3d thing thats holding them up, no harm in asking imho, just ignore the people who just can't take it. Lots of them around here.

• Upvote 3

Well for starters, it would be nice with a list of stuff the sp1 is adding.

I had no idea there would be some sort of data uplink thingy until a few mins ago when i saw it in some random thread.

Id like to know what is broken and beeing fixed with the fbw system?

• Upvote 3

What do you want to know? I'm honestly curious as to what you want to hear in terms of an update.

i thought it was a well designed question... i dont understand why you commented the way you did? Obviosuly, an update was all he was looking for.

I responded the way I did because I was genuinely curious.  Remember that this isn't a time-based endeavor.  It's simply one of completeness.  If they made some crazy amount of progress in one week, then they'd update people likely as soon as they hit that milestone at the end of the week.  It's not like anyone's looking at a calendar going "oh hey guys, we should update them now since it's been [some arbitrary amount of time] since the last update, even if there's nothing really to report..."

Its probably the whole p3d thing thats holding them up, no harm in asking imho, just ignore the people who just can't take it. Lots of them around here.

Different teams of people working on different projects, and this one has the top priority, so...no.

Like a few others, I'm disappointed that the 777 has not received a patch since it was released ~9 months ago. However, two things to keep in mind: 

• I guarantee Robert and the team wants SP1 out more than anyone else. 
  • It's going to be an amazing release - a completely rebuilt FBW system and PMDG's first weather radar? It'll be worth the wait. 

i thought it was a well designed question... i dont understand why you commented the way you did? Obviosuly, an update was all he was looking for.

What do you mean you "don't understand why commented the way did?"

I wasn't trying to be rude.  I was simply asking "what needs to be updated?"  I don't understand posts like this because they make no sense to me.  The formula is "it's been [x] amount of time since you've last provided an update, please provide a new one."  I understand that people want more information, but what I don't understand is why the time period matters, and what people think is going on behind the scenes.  The significance that a month has passed is essentially nothing because no deadline has been set.  As I've said a bunch recently, it's an issue of completeness, and not one of time.  When people ask for updates, they usually provide some unit of time as if had a bearing on providing an update (usually making the argument that the larger the unit of time, the more deserving they are of an update).  For a project that does not have a time-based performance schedule, the amount of time really has no significance.

Of course, we could drop the time issue entirely and still question the asking for an update in general.  PMDG has a habit of putting updates on the forum, and pinning them so as to provide the "latest news" at the top of the forum, if you will.  Those updates contain a decent amount of information.  If there is new information, they also have a habit of updating people on it (and pinning the new information), which is seen in the fact that there have been multiple updates since release.  If they have a habit of updating people based on significant progress milestones, why ask for an update?  The very fact that there hasn't been an update is an update in and of itself: nothing "newsworthy" has happened.  If someone has previously said "work is continuing on modeling System A" a while ago, and that's still the situation now, why release an update on it?  Someone has already said "work is continuing on System A."  The next update that would logically follow is either "the modelling of System A has ceased because it has determined it is impossible," or "the modelling of System A is complete."  The other possible updates of "work continues" or "there have been major setbacks" can simply be inferred by the lack of update of one of the two previous options.

That's why I answered the way I did.  What I just explained is how I view the situation.  It is, of course, my opinion, and my own view of the world.  I don't quite understand other people's view on the matter, so I asked someone to explain it.  Perhaps if someone explained why they ask for updates periodically, I might finally see why.

It is 100% honest, genuine curiosity.

After 500+ hours in the 777, there isn't much on my side that needs to be fixed other than the Master Caution bug from cold & dark and the autotrim is a bit overzealous on final. Quite impressed just how refined it was on day 1.

• Upvote 3

After 500+ hours in the 777, there isn't much on my side that needs to be fixed other than the Master Caution bug from cold & dark. Quite impressed just how refined it was on day 1.

That's how I feel too.  Let me put the lower MFD into map mode without a CTD and everything else is icing on the cake.  For a 1.0 release of its scope, the 777 is pretty solid.

• Upvote 1

Finn Jacobsen

I think what most people see as being wrong with asking for an update is that PMDG has never given on demand updates. I believe people get tired of seeing the same threads over and over asking for updates or release dates and that type of thing. They have consistently given updates when they feel there is enough new information to warrant one. You mention that SP1 is long overdue but the key here is that there is no due date. It takes as long as it takes and we all have to be patient. 

Does anyone actually read what they write?  It's like a convention of prefects in this forum...

Colin Ware

Seattle