Sign in to follow this  

Prepar3D V2.4 patch will be released Monday 9/29/14

I mean no disrespect to you with my comments about the patch procedure, Rob. I agree that you are a shining star in the P3D world. It's just that installing P3D from scratch again is not an option for me, because it would take a HUGE amount of time to reinstall all of my addons again (and they all seem to work in P3D at the moment). I guess that I will just have to bite the bullet, and keep my fingers crossed that I don't mess up :unsure:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

No reason ... viable alternative ... I probably shy away from that because I know in earlier versions (2.0/2.1 days) there were some issues but I think they got sorted out and I've just never "returned" to using that process.

Ok, clear. I was just curious and maybe saving the settings might help some people who think your explanation involves programming... B) :P I myself always simply apply all settings from scratch from the top of my head: I've fooled around so often with them, that I know them all by heart. ^_^

Many clouds (at max density) have less impact on <snip>

Thanks Rob. Appreciate that. Just downloading the video now.

I think you run a similar software install to me - P3D, orbx, ASN, Rex 4TD and A318/A319, so it's good to get your insight. Please do update you site with your 2.4 settings when you get a moment!

Ha... my eyes glazed over about halfway through the instructions for the patch. Not that I couldn't understand it, but,

I have to agree. This is a really odd way to patch an app. If nothing else, the installer could make backup copies of all the relevant  configuration files and then delete the configuration folders automatically.

Thanks for the info Rob.

BTW, Pete Dowson is away again at the moment, so FSUIPC won't get updated until sometime after his return on the 7th October.

Dave Garwood.

I see you have mod powers there now, can you see my posts in that thread? Am I on mod approval in that forum or something?

Can't see any posts Jim ... I'd check in with Wes maybe your account isn't setup correctly.

Moderators,

Unfortunately I can't edit my original post (time has elapsed) so if Moderator could make that SimConnect.INI edit for me I'd appreciate it.

Cheers, Rob.

I am still on 2.2.

I had backed up the entire P3D folder prior to updating the 2.3 patch and I could not run P3D 2.3...so I copied over the backed up 2.2 folder and everything was back to normal P3d v2.2.

I guess, applying 2.4 over 2.2 is out of the question!  :lol:

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Moderators, Unfortunately I can't edit my original post (time has elapsed) so if Moderator could make that SimConnect.INI edit for me I'd appreciate it.

Done Rob. Please check and let me know if you have any further changes.

BTW, Pete Dowson is away again at the moment, so FSUIPC won't get updated until sometime after his return on the 7th October.

The current version is still working for me 4.963a in v2.4 -- checked with A2A's cherokee and axis controller assignments, all still good and working.

Cheers, Rob. 

Is Pete not on the P3D testing team? I cant help thinking why FSUIPC is not updated during the beta testing rather than after the release.

By the way thank you Rob for being so helpful in presenting us with an alternative update process.

Cheers

Steve Hall

I guess, applying 2.4 over 2.2 is out of the question! 

Microsoft patch files (msp extension) are quite specific to the app version(s) that is acceptable for a patch. Usually the installer will just generate an error  and terminate if you try to patch the wrong version. If you are running 2.2, you are probably stuck doing an uninstall of 2.2 and  full install of 2.4, unless you want to do the intermediate step of uninstalling 2.2 and installing 2.3. :o

Is Pete not on the P3D testing team? I cant help thinking why FSUIPC is not updated during the beta testing rather than after the release.

Pete has posted on his official forum  that he is a beta tester of P3d. 

Tom, 

Thanks!

If nothing else, the installer could make backup copies of all the relevant  configuration files and then delete the configuration folders automatically.

Yes, but that would leave non-functional 3rd party products ... so probably why they don't do it automatically and provide a manual recommended method.  Take for example UT2's entries in the Prepar3d.cfg ... LM doesn't know anything about them yet for UT2 to work, they must be there.  Or what if an existing default entry in the prepar3d.cfg (not accessible via UI) is to be changed ... i.e. CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512 ... this value used to be 2048 in prior versions of P3D and it would cause significant performance issues with cloud shadows.  So LM updated the default value to 512 ... if one just copies their existing older Prepar3d.cfg over the new one and revert back to a value of 2048 they'll wonder why their performance is still terrible. 

So I can understand LM's process in avoiding getting involved in all the possible variations people may have by not doing wiping these folders out automatically.

Cheers, Rob.

Can't see any posts Jim ... I'd check in with Wes maybe your account isn't setup correctly.

Thanks Rob, something's messed up for sure but I won't rule out that being my internet connection, lol. My concern was that Clouds.fx was apparently not overwritten as the quad, width*0.6, height*0.6 and position, groupCenter.xyz edits I'd made earlier are still in place in my Clouds.fx after applying the patch. Maybe there's another way around the cloud scaling issue and Clouds.fx has been obsoleted in this build? I thought I should bring that to someone's attention for verification before the patch goes public is all. I'll try a full clean uninstall/reinstall tomorrow and see how that pans out.

Jim

My concern was that Clouds.fx was apparently not overwritten as the quad, width*0.6, height*0.6 and position, groupCenter.xyz edits I'd made earlier are still in place in my Clouds.fx after applying the patch.

Good point Jim ... in my NOTE: part of my original thread where folks have modified any files in ShadersHLSL -- prior to applying the patch it would be advisable to revert back to your original 2.3 files (I'm sure everyone keeps a back) - if you don't do this the patch may not overwrite those files because they've been modified.

For example the cloud.fx in 2.3 does get updated with the 2.4 patch but it might not if you have modified the file.  Same with any other ShadersHLSL files folks have modified.

Cheers, Rob.

orbx, ASN, Rex 4TD and A318/A319, so it's good to get your insight.

I fairly certain Orbx, HiFi, Virtuali will have updates out pretty quick once released.  These are the only products I used/have that needed updates ... and Orbx products still worked I just had to click the "Run Once" button during startup.

A318/A319 is working fine for me, not had any issues with it.  REX 4 is fine also, no issues.

As far as glass VC in the A318 ... not exactly sure what you are looking for here, but here is a screen shot during the day with default weather (warning large image 3840 x 2160): http://robainscough.com/images/d72a8bad4c41368690c4aff5bfaf3616.jpg

Cheers, Rob.