Sign in to follow this  

Prepar3D V2.4 patch will be released Monday 9/29/14

Personally I think the process is rather simple and certainly has nothing to do with "programming"

---------------------------------------------------------------

Rob, your walk-through was very well written, and as you say, it will only take someone, perhaps 15 or 20 minutes to be up and running with v2.4.  Thank you...and everybody is rather excited to see what else comes in the cookie jar.  We are all in a teasing, festive mood. :)

You made it easy for us...and that is for sure!

Mitch

Does 2.4 include the CFG entry for "AlwaysFullLoad=1," which apparently alleviated excessive VAS usage and OOM occurences in 2.3? Or does the entry in 2.4's change log, "Fixed an issue with BGL objects that were causing a memory leak and crash," somehow address this?

Good point Jim ... in my NOTE: part of my original thread where folks have modified any files in ShadersHLSL -- prior to applying the patch it would be advisable to revert back to your original 2.3 files (I'm sure everyone keeps a back) - if you don't do this the patch may not overwrite those files because they've been modified.

For example the cloud.fx in 2.3 does get updated with the 2.4 patch but it might not if you have modified the file.  Same with any other ShadersHLSL files folks have modified.

It's awesome that you noted that in your instructions and admittedly I didn't revert in spite of knowing better because I sort of wanted to see what would happen if I didn't, but IMHO that should be changed in the patch installer so that it blows right through any hand edited shader files like a depleted uranium round blows through a wet paper bag :smile: All v2.4 files should overwrite without question of save dates/times for example. Otherwise how on earth could we expect everyone applying the patch to revert to default files before doing so? I personally don't even remember which files I've edited were it not for all the ".orig" files now present in my ShadersHLSL folder. Now we've got virtual v2.3.05, v2.3.75 and v2.3.1 versions floating around out there depending on who's done which edits and LM has no baseline when it comes to who's using what and trying to provide product support. I can see LM asking questions like: "Did you do the position, groupCenter.xyz modification at v2.3, and did you revert to your default Clouds.fx file before applying the v2.4 patch?"... That was sort of a concern I had when they started posting these shader file edits to begin with.

Of course doing a full, clean uninstall/reinstall will rectify the problem and put everyone back to "square zero", but probably only if the user deletes the entire P3d v2 folder between uninstalling and reinstalling the new version which is my plan for tomorrow.

Jim

Rob- this is a little off topic, but when I was watching your video, there was a lot of radio chatter in the background. Is that an add-on or part of the airbus software?

Otherwise, 2.4 looks like a nice update.

Change list:

• Fixed an issue with clouds being rendered quadruple the intended size

In 2.2 I had zero fps impact even with full overcast. In 2.3 I have 12-15 fps even with few clouds and 25-40 without any clouds.

I did what is here adviced: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=7984 but still huge fps drop.

Is there any chance to fix it in 2.4? Once again - in 2.2 all was fine.

but IMHO that should be changed in the patch installer so that it blows right through any hand edited shader files like a depleted uranium round blows through a wet paper bag

Right with you on this one sir..!

Rob- this is a little off topic, but when I was watching your video, there was a lot of radio chatter in the background. Is that an add-on or part of the airbus software?

No thats online chatter from a website - but airbus has its own chatter

Rich Sennett

BTW, Pete Dowson is away again at the moment, so FSUIPC won't get updated until sometime after his return on the 7th October.

haa haa.. to find out the release dates for P3D,  one should just look at Pete's vacation calendar  :lol:

1. Confirm 3rd party products you have will work in v2.4 and/or have updates that will allow them to work in v2.4 BEFORE proceeding

Well, that's life on the Bleeding Edge for you.  Remember... it's only for purposes other than entertainment.

Sorry...couldn't resist.  At least Rob's guide will get you where you need to be.  Good Luck to all on this.  Some day I'll be looking forward to this too....

Edited by n4gix
Removed truly epic and excessive quote! PLEASE do *not* quote the entire wall of text when replying!!!

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

yes there are ATC sounds that can be activated in the Aerosoft Airbus.i personally don't use them .but they are there

steve

While its amazing that patches are coming fast, meaning LM is really on the ball and determined to get this right, but the problem I see is always waiting for installers from 3PDs. I dont understand why they cant make installers that are more flexible. As in can be installed in p3d V2.X so it covers at least the next versions up until 2.9.  Perhaps its not feasible?

Arent 3PDs annoyed by always making another installer? Qualitywings just put out the 757 installer for 2.3 just a couple weeks ago. 

Hopefully they are having tremendous input and communicating with LM on issues, or what could be done better. It sure seems that way along with people like Rob who does all this testing work and instructions. Its really quite nice to see, after what weve been through with FSX and Microsoft.

Personally I dont see an issue with the installer but ive also been dealing with computers for a few decades, and I can imagine someone who is not so computer savy or just doesnt have the time to do it quick would get frustrated with the process. Seems weird there wouldnt be a script for all those tasks. 

Nice video though Rob, although most dont have killer system like yours, so as long as im seeing close to 30s on your system I should be able to maintain low-mid 20s with a 770 overclocked. But when ever we can get this AA locked down better, we will probably take another hit im thinking. Nevertheless prepar3d is looking great.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

That was sort of a concern I had when they started posting these shader file edits to begin with.

I've kept back-ups of the original shader files - cloud.fx and HDR - but I am hoping I will be able to continue using either these files from 2.3, or modify the new ones in 2.4 to allow the same values. I really like the incorrect sized clouds, and would like to keep using them, as long as they don't impact anything else.

Do you or Rob happen to know if there is any problems in doing this?

And thanks to Rob for the info on the forthcoming patch :smile:

I've kept back-ups of the original shader files - cloud.fx and HDR - but I am hoping I will be able to continue using either these files from 2.3, or modify the new ones in 2.4 to allow the same values. I really like the incorrect sized clouds, and would like to keep using them, as long as they don't impact anything else.

Do you or Rob happen to know if there is any problems in doing this?

And thanks to Rob for the info on the forthcoming patch :smile:

I would say don't use your existing tweaked shaders but backup and tweak the new ones instead because there may be other changes we don't know about. GetScreenQuadPositions( quad, width*0.5, height*0.5 ); exists in the new Clouds.fx and removing the *0.5 values makes the clouds huge again. I see the patch has overwritten at least some of my cloud textures, it appears they are supplying a 512px cumulus01.bmp now as opposed to 256px in (I think) all previous versions.

Jim