Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

What ORBX will be doing, with pricing, from P3D v3.0 and onwards..

This is a quote directly from JV; and for those that do not visit the ORBX forums, felt you should also have a head`s up...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sim engine and point release upgrades

With regards to Prepar3D Version 3.0 we will be charging a nominal upgrade fee for any Orbx products ported to it, depending on the complexities of the P3D3.x engine and work required. Since V3.0 is very far away I wanted to go on record and give you a heads up that our policy moving forward is to charge a nominal fee for upgrades to new sim platforms. The same applies for any 'point' release of existing products, i.e. like the charge for YMML when it went from 1.x to 2.x

I know this announcement won't please many of you but Orbx as a business is always revising itself, checking what works and what doesn't and there is an enormous amount of work going on behind the scenes that you aren't aware of to keep the business ticking over day to day. This means we refine and change processes, marketing, customer messaging and how we communicate. Any business that never adapts and changes to respond to market forces will stagnate and eventually fail. We don't plan for that to happen to Orbx.

May I take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for your support, your custom, your loyalty and the great sense of community that YOU create and foster on these forums. Thank you!

Regards,
JV 

I recall some users already demanded paid upgrades to speed things up. Actually, I am more concerned about the speed of development, even though ORBX is doing a tremendous amount of work. I am not a visionary, but extrapolating I'd foresee Prepar3d3 to surface sometime in 2016. Further extrapolating present ORBX progress, the last of the airports I bought might be P3D2 compatible by the end of 2015 (chances are this will be NZQN). Will it even be worth to install?

And this is ORBX who are actively working on their upgrades. Contrast progress at Aerosoft and it's a fatal plot. Sure, we had this same picture when FS[1-X] was updated every two years. However, I had a handfull of payware addons at that time for FS2000, the rest was freeware + default, while I'd not even dare to start counting today. And there was only one hard compatibility break, between FS4 and 5.

Add the fact that several users demand giving up backwards compatibility at all. And this might indeed make sense: The default Airports RWY/ILS/VOR... database resembles little present-day reality.

Unfortunately, I am unable to offer a patent solution.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Those statements all make sense to me.  Wouldn't expect otherwise.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Considering that the next major version of Prepar3D will be 64-bit and will likely ditch a lot of the old code, it will take Orbx lots of work to port their sceneries over, so I'd say an upgrade fee would be reasonable in this case.

By the way, does anyone remember how much was the upgrade fee from YMML 1.x to YMML 2.x? I remember John Venema mentioning YMML 3.x, and I'm wondering if I should wait until that gets released before I buy it.

ORBX can't justify a fee just to port, but give a new feature or improvements to the product!

I trust Orbx to do what is right in this case. I value their hard work, talent, and judgement. I have no problem paying to upgrade for P3Dv3, especially if it's 64-bit.

Furthermore, I don't have a problem with their dev schedule. They release an incredible amount of quality content at a steady pace, and work hard to support and update said content.

I would reckon that if there is no fee to port, to a simulator two generations newer than the one originally purchased for, the products will not be ported at all.

Considering that the next major version of Prepar3D will be 64-bit

P3D 3.0 will be 64 bit?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

P3D v3 in any form, is just wishful thinking at this point.

Jazz

I would reckon that if there is no fee to port, to a simulator two generations newer than the one originally purchased for, the products will not be ported at all.

I see it that way, too.  I'm grateful that there is a company that is producing the output and quality that ORBX does.  Honestly, where would FSX and later P3D be, if there was not a company that gave us near-to-life scenery renditions?  How many of us would have already moved on from the hobby...or only a few minutes a month.  I want ORBX around, and if I purchase future from them, that is my indications (to them) that as a customer, I feel the charge acceptable.  Bluntly stated, it has been ORBX, hand's down that has kept my level of interest in flight sim'ing  to what it is....

The above-sentiments, also applies to every quality 3dP aircraft vendor.  You give us the same-level quality for which to be able to FLY OVER, said scenery and interact with it.  If the sim engine goes 64 bit...you only have to KNOW, that there will be a migration cost to all of us....

Having stated the above...I just thought how...there was no 'bump' charge costed out by Laminar Research when they co-released a 64 bit version of Xplane.  I wanted to acknowledge that as also very important.  They absorbed the in-house R and D, and didn't pass it down to their customer base. Kudos to them....and publicly acknowledged!

I have a feeling that this V3 will be the 64bit release of P3D.

Think about it. Why would they start charging all of the sudden? Because it must be quite an undertaking. Making a 64bit P3D will render the current scenery useless, unless re-coded. (not remodeled)

I'm no developer, but I believe the BGL files that P3Dv2 uses are coded specifically for a 32bit platform.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

P3D 3.0 will be 64 bit?

Lockheed Martin have made it clear they want to move to 64-bit, though we don't know yet if this will happen with 3.0 or 2.x.

Making a 64bit P3D will render the current scenery useless, unless re-coded. (not remodeled)

All available aircraft as well.

Sorry fellas, I'm late to the party. 64bit? but that would be a loooong time off, so why all the talk? Or have I missed something?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Lockheed Martin have made it clear they want to move to 64-bit, though we don't know yet if this will happen with 3.0 or 2.x.

... or with 4.x or 5.x ... ?  -_-

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I have a feeling that this V3 will be the 64bit release of P3D.

Think about it. Why would they start charging all of the sudden? Because it must be quite an undertaking. Making a 64bit P3D will render the current scenery useless, unless re-coded. (not remodeled)

I don't think this should be true.

Look how much time ORBX spends on triple installers. Time = money. At some point this is pointless to do for free, and this is what JV states - this is business and it needs to be profitable.

From my perspective, this is completely reasonable. I wish ORBX could focus on different things (new Vector data, OpenLC etc.) than making triple installers and then quadriple? installers and so on ...

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1