Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[30MAR15] NGX Updates and some other News Bits

Captains-

A few moments ago we pushed out an updated version of the NGX for both FSX and P3D.

What is this update?:

This is a minor update, as PMDG updates go.  It primarily addresses some model errors that we introduced during the last update round, but it also adds quite a bit of optimization and some platform compatibility fixes that we needed to address after seeing the NGX operating on three different platforms.  Only three line items in the change list, but it was actually a pretty significant amount of work all around.

How do I get this update?:

As with the previous update cycle, the process for bringing your NGX up to date, whether you are in FSX, FSX-SE or Prepar3D is the same:  Log into your account at PMDG eCommerce and download the installers from your account just as you did when you last updated, or when you originally purchased them. 

I recognize that some folks don't like having to download the entire installers again but this will be our update process while we finish development of the self-updating capability for the Operations Center.  (We also learned that Kyle hates downloading full updates, so we are doing this just to annoy Kyle...  but don't tell him, please. :ph34r: )

When you are finished, your NGX will show version 1.10.6461 as the installed version.

Side note:  We are moving away from referring to updates and service packs as 1a, 1b, 1c, etc and will be refering to future updates only by version number.  This will minimize confusion when we move to our automatic-update process via the Operations Center.

What Should Aerosoft DVD/Download Customers Do?:

For Aerosoft download and DVD customers looking forward to the NGX updates, Aerosoft will begin their day by receiving copies of these versions so that they can begin implementation of the process by which Aerosoft DVD and download customers for the NGX can also receive these updates.  I recognize that it has taken PMDG some time to reach the point where we are comfortable giving Aerosoft bits for redistribution and that some customers feel we have treated the Aerosoft customers poorly.  This perception is based largely in the amount of time has taken us to get NGX updates stable enough that we are comfortable having Aerosoft burn them to DVDs.  We have 17+ years of experience doing this, and sometimes these things have to be carefully managed.  We have a strong relationship with Aerosoft and part of that relationship means that we make darn sure our product quality is where it should be prior to turning them loose on DVD replication.  We have to be absolutely certain we have a build that can be put on a DVD before we turn it over to our partners at Aerosoft, else we run the risk of unnecessarily driving up their operational costs and dis-servicing their direct customers far more than simply asking everyone to wait until we know we have stabilized a build.

If this was upsetting to you, please accept our apology and also understand that we really do put product quality at the top of the priority list- and occasionally that means having to take our time and make certain we got things done correctly.

I would expect it to take Aerosoft a few days to get their update process ready for customer use- so please- give them that time and don't take to hammering at their door with demands- they are as eager as you to get these to you!

Pending 777 Updates:

In other topics we are currently testing a new 777 version that we hope will fix a rather difficult-to-diagnose memory leak that would appear in the 777 under some very specific circumstances.  I will have more to say on this topic a bit later- but suffice to say we will be updating the FSX, FSX-SE and Prepar3D versions of the 777 once we get confirmation from our testers that we succeeded in fixing this nasty little item.  (There are a few folks in this forum who did a magnificent job supporting us in finding this- and you'll learn a bit more about that in a future update as well!)

Once we publish the pending update for the 777, we will also send those bits over to Aerosoft for distribution to DVD and Aerosoft download customers... 

Pending Updates for the J41:

Beta testing the J41 has taken a back seat to the changes we needed to make to the NGX and 777, but will resume shortly.  Unlike the NGX and 777, the J41 isn't getting a significant code update, so it is a much simpler test process for us-  as it primarily is just an installation validation process.  We hope to have that released to you soon as well!

I hope you have pleasant Monday!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Thanks for the updates Robert, I actually prefer update news after the fact when the work has been done, as in this case already.

It eliminates all the "when" and "soon" posts that we all know and love. :P

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Thank you ......I hope Kyle enjoys this :)

I cant help to ask.....Weather radar for JS41 please....

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Thanks, Robert for the update 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Thanks for the update, Robert.

I've got one question though. At the time I bought the NGX, I wasnt flightsimming for very long and the only webshop I was familiar with was FSP, who didnt sell a download version and upon my request for a download version I was told there wasnt any. If I would have known there was a download version, I never would have bought an outdated distribution option as a DVD which can get damaged and become unusable.

Far as I know, DVDs were still in use, back then, because not everyone had a stable enough internet connection to guaranty propper working downloads and I dont really understand why we, in 2015, have to settle for DVDs again, while download are now much more reliable and of course, much faster when it comes to delivery. In my opinion this whole changing DVDs for DVDs only has downsides, as we're seeing now with the extra time and effort (and with that extra costs) that it takes to get things organized.

So i've been wondering, why cant our old-fashioned DVDs be changed for a download version, as this would be the most relevant delivery option at this time?

Cheers!

Maarten

Thank you Robert.

Can you please confirm that, on the installation window, I just need to choose "Repair" and not "Remove"? I have SP1d installed (FSX).

James Goggi

Going to be like installing  like  the sp1d  I suppose  some users   will find  using  the repair option will work other  will find  it might not  work  and have  to do the uninstall/reinstall option.  So you can try the repair option first if  it doesn't  work than you have  to do the uninstall method

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Thank you Peter, I have a new computer and intalled SP1d on it for the first time.

James Goggi

Thanks for the update, Robert.

I've got one question though. At the time I bought the NGX, I wasnt flightsimming for very long and the only webshop I was familiar with was FSP, who didnt sell a download version and upon my request for a download version I was told there wasnt any. If I would have known there was a download version, I never would have bought an outdated distribution option as a DVD which can get damaged and become unusable.

Far as I know, DVDs were still in use, back then, because not everyone had a stable enough internet connection to guaranty propper working downloads and I dont really understand why we, in 2015, have to settle for DVDs again, while download are now much more reliable and of course, much faster when it comes to delivery. In my opinion this whole changing DVDs for DVDs only has downsides, as we're seeing now with the extra time and effort (and with that extra costs) that it takes to get things organized.

So i've been wondering, why cant our old-fashioned DVDs be changed for a download version, as this would be the most relevant delivery option at this time?

I'm not 100% sure of, what you're asking - but if you're looking to get a download-version instead of DVD-version, then I think this excellent post from JRBarret sums it up, pretty well...:

"If you purchased the DVD version, you have established a customer/retailer business relationship with Aerosoft, NOT with PMDG. Even though PMDG created the software itself, it is Aerosoft who distributed and sold it. 

I doubt very much that PMDG could (legally) "cancel" your DVD license - only the entity who sold it to you (Aerosoft) could do so - which is likely why customers with the DVD version are going to have to go through Aerosoft to obtain an update to the software."

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/464558-13mar15-aerosoft-dvd-and-download-customers-and-fsx-se-compatibility/page-2#entry3200124

So basically, you're asking this on the wrong forums... if you want to exchange/swap your DVD-version for a download-version, you should direct your question to the appropriate distributer ...  :rolleyes:

Hope that made sense... (and thanks to JRBarret for the explanation!)

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Hi guys,

can someone paste changelog for this update?

Should we completely uninstall older version and install 1.10.6461?

Are there any changes in INI files (keyboard shortcuts) and in panel state files in this update?

I'm asking because I don't know if I should backup these files and can overwrite 1.10.6461 version files or have to set everything from the scratch. I spent much time to set all this stuff. I have v1.10.6436 installed.

Thanks for advices!

Adrian