Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

To FSX users on the fence for P3D 2.5

Sorry, but every time that I see a really, really daft comment about FSX, I have to respond.

Hope I didnt duplicate because i didnt read the entire thread. But as far as OOMs go and VAS management, its definitely improved.   My test was simply this.   Go to any airport, hop in your favorite aircraft, and take note of your VAS.   Now go hop around to different airports around the world loading them up one by one and taking note of your VAS.  Memory gets released back.  There is no way you could continue to do this in FSX.  If I wanted to load up at another airport I had to back out completely and reload everything.

Until 64bit comes around, this is a big step to getting us there in the interim.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Or maybe people just believe in honesty.

Is this an inference of dishonesty? Pretty strong words...

What does it matter what platform other people use for their simming?  If P3D works for you...thats awesome, make the most of it.  If FSX still works for you, thats awesome too.  Do you want us all to switch to P3D so developers spend more of their addon efforts for that platform?  Well, I and quite a few others plan on riding FSX out a while longer still, as the developers plan on supporting FSX for quite a while longer.  Don't let that stop you from enjoying P3D.   The rest of us will leave FSX eventually, but until then, enjoy the variety and choices you have for simming.

Cheers

TJ

I wouldn't have replied normally, i have always maintained that the Academic license from P3D was entirely explicit and probably not applicable to the majority of people on this forum.  The Professional license however, now i believe that one would cover everybody on here.  

I was irritated by the comment that FSX:SE was a "game" and P3D a sim; as mentioned above, they are practically identical.

I used FSX happily for many years, recently i switched to P3D (professional before you ask), but i only did this because of a throw-away comment by RSR on the PMDG forum; I don't consider FSX to be a game or people who use FSX to be newbies.

Ian R Tyldesley

Wobbie, your logic appears to be this rigid and unflexible:

Fly a Trike in P3D = 100% Simulation because if you are using P3D than you are using a simulation by definition.

Fly a Majestic Dash in FSX = PacMan.

How irritating!

I don't consider FSX to be a game or people who use FSX to be newbies.

Nevertheless, Microsoft marketed FSX as a PC Game. As far as newbies; that is just somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity.

Nevertheless, Microsoft marketed FSX as a PC Game.

And?  How does this stop it being a simulator?  By your 'logic' DCS World is a game, "KingGhidorah" is right on the money.  I am becoming increasingly concerned that arrogant P3D users seem to think that they are a cut above everybody else 'playing games' (I use P3D BTW)  The two simulators are virtual identical, the distribution methods are different but why would that make any difference?

As far as newbies; that is just somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity.

Indeed, taken at face value you are correct; however it is often used as a disparaging term, ironically in the game world.  It's back to the arrogant assumption that people start by 'playing' FSX, you know, take off in the default 737 and crash into buildings, then move onto DCS World, perhaps shoot at things, then finally they graduate to P3D when they can be considered simmers; it's rubbish!

Ian R Tyldesley

The difference is that P3D is based on ESP and FSX:SE is based on FSX. Both the products they are based on are from Microsoft, the difference is the intended market. ESP was licensed to be sold by third parties and used in commercial, non-entertainment settings (sound familiar?).

It's only a big difference to the commercial sector. They're just toys to us, albeit nearly identical sets of toys.

And?  How does this stop it being a simulator?  By your 'logic' DCS World is a game, "KingGhidorah" is right on the money.  I am becoming increasingly concerned that arrogant P3D users seem to think that they are a cut above everybody else 'playing games' (I use P3D BTW)  The two simulators are virtual identical, the distribution methods are different but why would that make any difference?

Indeed, taken at face value you are correct; however it is often used as a disparaging term, ironically in the game world.  It's back to the arrogant assumption that people start by 'playing' FSX, you know, take off in the default 737 and crash into buildings, then move onto DCS World, perhaps shoot at things, then finally they graduate to P3D when they can be considered simmers; it's rubbish!

They are exactly that. Video games. They are video games where we play make-believe to pretend we are a pilot of a real aircraft. Is a simulation? Absolutely. Do we do it for fun? Absolutely. But let's not lie to ourselves. It's a game I play to have fun.

Only does it stop becoming a video game when it is used as a flight training device under specific conditions, which don't include sitting in an armchair at home recording video to show off one's newest toys.

I haven't posted much in the last 5 years however I visit avsim everyday, and I guess I will finally jump off the fence and try P3D. Over the last 5 Months I have seen a many developers take the plunge as well. Over a year ago many of us really questioned this P3D as a future for our Flight Simulation needs, but the EULA question has everyone one making their own fit to meet the their needs.

So with that said those of us that take Flight Simulation seriously whether one is a gamer or student of Flight Aviation, there is a place for all Flight Sim platforms in our community. I really don't see all the fuss, Whether Xplane or FSX-SE/FSX or P3D its all good, None of the members of Avsim have to justify what platforms they are using or why. We as individuals are in compliance with a Developers EULA or we are not, if it ever comes to question if and when Developers to hold those individuals who are not in compliance is their business.

But to waste time on this forum as to who is and who isn't or what when and why,...well it speaks for its self. Don't get me wrong some the arguments or points of view when it comes to discussing this is quite entertaining sometimes, but at the end of the day we all need to get along.

Bottom line is to grow the Hobby of Flight Simulation, grow the Flight Simulation as a great learning tool for Virtual pilots and real pilots or anyone who just wants to learn.... 

Just my two cents..... Okay back to me jumping off the fence, Its done. :-)

They are exactly that. Video games.

Ya's bunch of Man-Boys   :lol:

Yes and no i suppose,  simulation "games" have something that ordinary games don't have,  ordinary as in conventional shooters or arcade stuff,   Simulation games have an immense amount of depth and require patients and skill to Sim or Play.   Same thing?  I don't know really,  but only a very small percentage of gamers actually fit into the bracket of Simmers. 

You could say maybe that Simulation games are just games with an immense amount of depth

The bottom line is,  i can't write like you's,   so that's just my take on it.   :rolleyes:

Well for me FSX does fine dont really have any issues with DX10. Wont get steam as I dont want steam, as for P3d well there is the issue that some developers seeing it as a professional software choose to almost double the price for the same plane you fly in FSx, where others dont charge any extra some provide for both no extra charge. That part I dont understand, there needs to be some commonality between developers.

We all used to have one common goal to improve the FSX experience now we are a divided community where everyone is right. Get over it.

Lol... it seems that the lines have been drawn.... the gamers with FSX:SE & the simmers with P3D!

Wow snobbery in flight sim who'd have thunk it. I've been running FSX and it's predecessors for as long as I can remember and am more than happy with the experience but because I choose not to move to P3D I'm a gamer and you're a simmer.....seriously?

Your profile picture indicates that you have a much older and wiser head on your shoulders and therefore shouldn't be making childish statements like the one Quoted.

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

I am not convinced that we are a divided community really, I imagine that we all use more than a single simulator, personally i have currently installed; P3D, X-Plane and DCS World.  I don't really use X-Plane, but hope to get more use from it when the DC-6 is released.

Reminds me of the happy days of criticising Atari ST users, Amiga master-race here! 

Ian R Tyldesley