Sign in to follow this  
Caribpilot

Your Thoughts on P3D v3

Hi everyone,

I just did a review of P3D v3 which should be posted in a few days. However, I though I would also include a few comments from current customers on their impression of P3D v3.

If you were a long time FSX user or even if P3D is the first simulator you have used, I would appreciate hearing your views and I will add your comments to the review.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Carter

Sure ,

"

Simmer for 10 years and a huge forward step in quality ,visuals and on going developement . 5 stars here "

VAS improvement alone is a must buy" " Very very nice back compatible catalogue as well

Michael Moe

I had 2.3 going with a single install since it was released and had told myself I wouldn't waste my time and money until 64bit debuted at which point it would be worth it.  I had file corruption happen on the SSD 2.3 lived on so needed to do a clean install of OS and all the rest, and you know what that means!  So I picked up 3.1, and now have 3.2 installed, and I'm duly impressed!  The AA is superior enough to allow avoiding the SGAA which kills the best video cards when flying thru clouds, VAS improvement is remarkable, and overall smoothness and performance is impressively improved.  It's as many tried to tell me--a bit of a no brainer!

Cheers

Flight Simming since 1986.  P3D is the best thing I have seen so far, and I have tried all of them. 

As an x-plane user for years I took the leap into P3D last week and all I can say is WOW very nice sim along with the very complex add-ons make it a winner! (especially the Q400)

Simmer since SubLogic ATP and FS on an Atari 520ST (well even before that actually)

I too will give the nod to P3d.  I'm on 3.1 getting ready for 3.2, but I enjoy the fact that it is getting frequent updates and attention from an active developer who's background IS aviation, not a software company who's interest in the title was strictly from a financial point of view.

Those 2 facts alone should motivate any simmer who's passion is the simulation of aviation (not a gamer (as it were) who's looking to fly a 747 under the Golden Gate inverted) to invest in the platform and see where Lockheed takes it.  :smile:

I'm also currently in FSX:SE with Steve's DX Fixer and I have to give credit to Dovetail and Steve for making FSX the best I feel it can ever get.  They have done an admirable job working with what they were given and until I can justify paying for planes in P3d I already have in FSX, I'll have it on my computer and fly in it when I have the urge to fly those models until P3d hits 64 bit. 

If I were starting from scratch or a new simmer, I'd not even look to FSX as my starting sim, and invest in P3d from the start....of course a new simmer should wait to invest heavily in ANY platform until we see what the new DT offering will bring.  Overall an exciting time to be a simmer.

It is the current gold standard of desktop flight simulators. The best thing about it is that they've modernized the graphics engine to take advantage of modern hardware. The bad and ugly is that they haven't upgraded much of the graphics textures, landclass system, airport and nav data, so the sim, despite HDR lighting and shadows, doesn't look much different from FSX. 

Simple update.  Updated FSUIPC, FSDT.  Don't use tile-based addons, only photoreal scenery so no issues waiting for updates.  Best fix - fixing the aircraft lighting.  Worst fix - adding back in "FSX" waves.  Already back up and flying!

Massive leap forward and it doesn't even come at a cost, FPS for me is better with P3D than FSX. There is still work to be done and thankfully they are doing just that! :hi:

Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming. I will post a link to this topic in my review so everyone who is considering P3D can see what others think about it.

Can't get past the licensing screen ie those big red crosses, so it is useless for me.

It's the only reason I returned to Flight Simulation ... impressive growth and the largest development team currently working on a flight simulation platform available to the public.

Cheers, Rob.

It took me a long time to 100% make the jump to P3D, but I am there now. It still has its issues, but as of 3.2 it's the best civilian flight sim going. I would love to see them make the move to a more modern atmospheric rendering system (like Raleigh scattering) such as we get in DCS 2.0 and physically based rendering would do wonders as well.

I got a refund, simply could not live with the poor AA around my airports, the seemingly ever decreasing radius of LOD detail and the shocking performance in clouds.

I also wasted £430 on a GTX980 in an effort to get reasonable AA and performance.

Apart from the cloud shadows V3 really did not provide anything that I do not already have in FSX/DX10, water and clouds certainly looked worse in V3.

The last version that I enjoyed was 2.3 and it seems that since then for every aspect they improve something else suffers.

As we say in Dutch: P3D is not "Haarlemmer olie", meaning: P3D is not a miracle product fixing everything,

but it is by far the best Flight Simulator I have ever used since FS2 and much better and more stable then FSX.

Also the fact that LM still is very actively developing on P3D makes it for me a no brainer.

Sure it has bugs and other anomalies but these are ironed out and with each update performance and stability is increased.

I am still on 3.1 and have not made the move to 3.2 yet, but will if the AA support is proven to be better.  P3D v3 offers non-poping autogen and clouds shadow, which are the two factors that increase realistic environment for a sim, which to me enhance my experience tremendously.  Eventually I hope that more add-ons will be specifically designed for P3D rather than the hybrids we have currently that sort of work but less than optimal.  However my biggest wish is the LM solves the AA issue for good.

However my biggest wish is the LM solves the AA issue for good

The AA issue lies with DX11, nothing LM can do about it, if it was fixable Nvidia or AMD would have done it by now and it's not just P3D that suffers.

• Upvote 1

P3D is Super FSX Turbocharged Pressurized

FSX for me is now a repository for addons to be moved to P3D.

Running at 4K it has to be seen to be believed. Just an incredible looking sim.

In general it was a good review,. In the the area of performance though, I think you were being a little disingenuous, especially in the area of VAS management compared to FSX. While everything you said is totally accurate as compared to FSX-Box, not so much when it comes to FSX-SE, which you totally ignored in this review, and , which also has similar VAS management improvements, and in fact had them first. It's also runs much smoother then FSX-Box, just like P3D. By comparing to FSX and not differentiating between the Box and Steam version, you give the impression that both FSX  platforms have the same limitations which is just not true.

I've read a lot of the recent comments here and abroad about people's opinions of P3D v3, and for the most part, all have been positive, but with the typical caveats.  One thing that sticks out for me is that LM, while actively working on it to fix bugs, improve it, etc., there has to be only so far LM can go with a 32-bit sim.  Many have mentioned in the past that one desire they have is a 64-bit version but as I see it, LM would have to develop a new sim, correct?

Again, in my opinion, 32-bit is dying and I see no reason why these days, sims like this shouldn't be 64-bit.  I know X-plane is out there and supposedly Dovetail is creating a 64-bit sim as well so when we either move to x-plane or Dovetail, then we have to decide what to do about add-ons, which to me, is like starting all over and a lot of money wasted.

For me personally, I appreciate the latest version very much.  I am able to do so much more now without any issue.  I recently purchased the Aerosoft Airbus A320/A321 and am having a lot of fun (and frustration) with it, but overall for performance, it is working rather well on my laptop rig.  To give you an idea of how much this version has improved, I am actively moving forward with a Navigraph subscription and am starting to train a lot more in tubeliners as opposed to the casual jaunt around the pretty scenery of ORBX, which I was constrained to before.  I also relented and purchased the P3D version of the PMDG B737 (which I once swore I wouldn't do because of the added cost, since I already had the FSX version).  In any case, both aircraft run fine and I have a more immersive flying experience.  Sorry that all sounds like a paid endorsement, but it really isn't.  I don't get excited much over many things these days, but this version of P3D actually makes me look forward to flying again.

-Jim

it comes to FSX-SE, which you totally ignored in this review, and , which also has similar VAS management improvements
While using new compiler helped FSX-SE I do not think Dovetail did anything to improve VAS management as P3D v3 does.  Iow, you can still get into OOM with FSX-SE in complex scenery areas and using something like the PMDG 777.  In defending the reviewer, the review is about P3D not FSX-SE.

Long time simmer here. P3d begins where FSX has left off. The LM team have proven to be responsive and very complementary in their development effort such that many enhancements are appealing to the flight sim community. Flight simming for me has never been better.

Like others here, I have been sim-flying since the green-lines-on-black-background days.  :-)

Since my last full installation was a fully tweaked-out FS9.1 setup; I am extremely happy with my P3d v3.2.

I personally don't see the need to go any further than this for the foreseeable future - except to add scenery and aircraft.

Everything is in place to enjoy a scenic flight almost anywhere in the world; or to practice and improve my piloting skills.

Modern technology is pretty cool!

Ron

• Upvote 1

Like others here, I have been sim-flying since the green-lines-on-black-background days.  :-)

Since my last full installation was a fully tweaked-out FS9.1 setup; I am extremely happy with my P3d v3.2.

I personally don't see the need to go any further than this for the foreseeable future - except to add scenery and aircraft.

Everything is in place to enjoy a scenic flight almost anywhere in the world; or to practice and improve my piloting skills.

Modern technology is pretty cool!

Ron

+1, I agree