Sign in to follow this  
Nuno Pinto

FlyDubai B738 Crashes on approach to Rostov-on-Don

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Terrible news. i don't know the stats, and maybe it's just because of increased media coverage, but the past few years have been awful in aviation.

Very sad news indeed! I hope an open, transparent and unbiased enquiry will take place.

Condolences to those involved.

Apparently they were holding for about 2 hours before attempting to land. Some things i just don't understand.

This one might be shocking for some people... A TV camera actually captured the moment it hit the ground...

Friend of mine works for that airline in Dubai, on the ground. Just received a text. Distraught.

R.I.P. to all.

Not a controlled attempt at a landing.  Icing?  They had been holding for a long time.  And if they were based in Dubai.  Guess we will see.

Looks awfully similar to Tartastan's 737 crash in Kazan, Russia in November 2013. Very similar marginal-night conditions, very similar video of airplane hitting ground nose first at steep angle. And we know what happened then - botched go-around procedure.

Looks awfully similar to Tartastan's 737 crash in Kazan, Russia in November 2013. Very similar marginal-night conditions, very similar video of airplane hitting ground nose first at steep angle. And we know what happened then - botched go-around procedure.

Exactly my thoughts.  So sad to see.  Only thing left to hope for is a learning experience as to prevent another incident.  RIP.

From reports over on Flghtaware, it apparently was circling the field for about 2 hours, other aircraft had diverted, due to the weather. When it finally did descend it came down at about 6000fpm from FL210. It attempted to land, but had to go around, which at some point it lost altitude and came down at about 21000fpm, according to radar.

xmr5sn.jpg

The flight profile.

Now, those "up & downs" on the speed at FL160 or so must be the effect of the wind during the hold right? If you count there's about 10 cycles, times 4 minutes, that's 40 minutes which approximately corresponds to what you see there.

What can cause it to descend at such high rate?

It could be a fully developed stall after pitching too high on a second go-around under manual control. It's happened before. Pilot fatigue and severe weather as possible contributing factors. The flight data recorder will have the answers eventually. 

Reports on news media emanating that they hit hurricane-speed winds in the area.

New  footage  just  appeared  and  now  showed  the aircraft  on fire  before  it  hit  the ground

When I discovered that they were in a holding pattern for 2 hours and the weather was bad, my first question was: why didn't they divert to the alternate airport???  If that one also had issues, then it's clear that they had enough fuel to get to multiple other airports within a couple hundred miles.

It's easy to play armchair pilot, but some pilot decisions are just hard to understand.

Dave

New  footage  just  appeared  and  now  showed  the aircraft  on fire  before  it  hit  the ground

Wrong, there is no such footage. The most common footage shows a 'light' striking ground but it is impossible to tell whether it is a ball of fire or simply aircraft lights. But there is another footage that clearly shows there was no fire, you can see all 3 aircraft lights and no trace of fire - hitting the ground, it is the first video at the top:

http://lifenews.ru/news/191340

When I discovered that they were in a holding pattern for 2 hours and the weather was bad, my first question was: why didn't they divert to the alternate airport???  If that one also had issues, then it's clear that they had enough fuel to get to multiple other airports within a couple hundred miles.

It's easy to play armchair pilot, but some pilot decisions are just hard to understand.

Dave

They were not in a hold for 2 hours, but rather 1 hour.

This is what is known so far:

http://aerotime.aero/en/civil/10967-flydubai-crash-in-russia-the-facts?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=latest_facts_on_flydubais_tragic_accident_in_russia_aerotime

A scheduled flight from Dubai to Rostov-On-Don departed from Dubai International Airport at 22:20 local time (18:20 UTC) on 18 March 2016. The aircraft was scheduled to reach the destination point at 1:20 local time (UTC+3) on 19 March 2016. At 1:38 the aircraft commenced final approach to Rostov-On-Don airport, but 4 minutes later the pilots aborted the first approach at approx. 525 m (1725 ft). At 2:27 flydubai's Boeing 737-800 entered holding pattern at 4572 m (15 000 ft) to the southeast of the airport and leaves the pattern for a second approach at 3:28. Twelves minutes later, at 3:40 the pilots aborted the second approach at 472 m (1550 ft) and 5.6 km short of the runway. At 03:41 the aircraft disappeared from the radars and impacted terrain after a steep descent from 1211 m (3975 ft). The airplane completely disintegrated 253 m (830 ft) left of the runway, killing all 62 people on board.

There were comments on the pprune forum mentioning that FlyDubai is an "out and back" airline, without the logistical support at nearby airports for dealing with passengers, transportation etc. A diversion would be a major headache, and with company culture being what it is, might have cost the crew their jobs. Major pressure to "get it done" regardless of local conditions, in other words.

Note that this is all speculation, but that's what you get in the early stages of an accident like this.

Maybe it is wise to wait for the investigation to shed light on what happened. The "black boxes" have been found, so provided they can be deciphered, the investigators should easily work out what happened.