Sign in to follow this  
fwerff

Opinions on FSDT KIAH and KMEM?

FSDT just announced a 30% off sale, which is making me considering finally completing my FSDT scenery collection by purchasing KIAH and KMEM.

I would appreciate your feedback on these addons and their respective performance VAS and FPS wise in P3D V3.

Thanks in advance.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I just did the same thing and bit the bullet and hit purchase on these 2 :)

Memphis is the latest and pretty awesome.  I love sitting in the tower and listening to the ATC watching AI land and takeoff. 

I would steer clear of O'Hare.  Out of date set up and I think FSDT is updating this as we speak.

I own Geneva and LAX as well.  Both well done as well

FSDT just announced a 30% off sale

Just wanted to ask the same question. Where did you see that sale? Is it a current offer? Could you please post a link - better in the Bargain hunters Forum :)

I can recommend Memphis and all others I have (JFK, ORD, LAX, LAS, ...); I would be interested to get their Texan range of airports now...

Cheers

Frank

Tempting but got to keep my powder dry for the PMDG P3D 744v3...still, tempting, really want the KMEM for some Fed Ex 744 flights...

I have them and both are great.  Can't go wrong with either one....but I find with the type flying I do I tend not to use KMEM nearly as much as KIAH.  If you do any FedEx flying KMEM is a must-have!

KIAH is a great airport in terms of accuracy of buildings and their placement and what not. This also applies to grounds such as taxi ways and runways. The old terminal B north hardstands are still in the scenery where as they arent in the real world.

The only gripe i have is that the textures font seem as high quality as they could be. somewhat cartoonish. It takes away from the scenery as a whole. Oh well. Its a great airport otherwise especially being my hometown airport.

You can't go wrong with anything FSDT!  I love it.

I really like KMEM. The ATC feature is pretty cool, although I don't use it all that much. That being said, I recommend it highly.

KIAH, on the other hand, is a disappointment when comparing it to their other sceneries. Some of the building textures are poor quality and I'm really not a fan of the ground textures at all. Also, they use some default FSX/P3D objects, which for a payware airport is pretty lazy. Not their best work. That being said, it is still decent and better than anything else out there. My opinion only.

I'm going to ask, how's JFK 2.0?  I have to admit, the whole NYC area (as well as the LAX area) scares me in terms of performance.  But, without committing to anything, I'll ask.

I'm going to ask, how's JFK 2.0?  I have to admit, the whole NYC area (as well as the LAX area) scares me in terms of performance.  But, without committing to anything, I'll ask.

Too congested area. And if you have NY City by Drzewiecki AND KLGA from ImagineSim, I would not recommend to add JFKv2.0 at all. It's the only area so far on which my VAS is almost depleted.

Cheers, Ed

Too congested area. And if you have NY City by Drzewiecki AND KLGA from ImagineSim, I would not recommend to add JFKv2.0 at all. It's the only area so far on which my VAS is almost depleted.

Cheers, Ed

Thanks.  You made me feel better about avoiding it.

Was there ever a fix for the pretty bad stuttering on KMEM due to the way the buldings and texture sets were loaded?

I have JFK v2 ,KLAX and LSGG and really like them.

I was going for KMEM and tested the demo, but had some terrible stutters when taking off/ landing.

How did you guys avoid them?

JFK v2 was a standout airport for many years, but it shows it's age in comparison to DD's version. (Which has updated terminals and taxiways) Visually it's a beautiful product, but it's begging for an update to the layout. 

KMEM had some flashing textures for me, especially in the overhead view. There is a thread on their support site about it, but no response from FSDT.

Thanks. You made me feel better about avoiding it.

I don't have DD's New York but I do have ImagineSim's LGA and FSDT's JFK.  I definitely can't use them at the same time but when I use JFK I like it. Very well made scenery with a lot a character.

It is hard on performance FPS being the limiting factor.. I'm able to manage the VAS and this is with FSX. FPS can be low but I make it work. Maybe take another look or better yet try out the demo.

I have KIAH, do not have KMEM.  I like KIAH.  FWIW, with the SODE system, I think the only jetway that operates is the one your aircraft is parked at.  What is nice with SODE is you can actually use the middle door on the 757/777 for boarding.

I had an initial problem when they converted the jetways at KIAH to SODE (via an upgrade) but the SODE developer found there was a problem with AivlaSoft EFB and SODE together (along with some other add on programs) which was crashing SODE.  They did fix it with a SODE update.

To make it work for me, I had to uninstall SODE, then KIAH, then re-install KIAH, uninstall SODE again, then install the new version of SODE.

In general, I like the FSDT airports, but they can be memory intensive and some of the responses of their website for support can be a little argumentative/ condescending. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and pick them up both.

I bit the bullet yesterday and both airports are amazing! I previously owned JFK, ORD, LAX, GEN & LAS.

With the sale and all I went ahead and got Dallas Fort Worth & Fort Lauderdale to finish my US collection with FSDT combined with my 4 flight beam airports.

Flying in the states is pretty awesome now with OpenLC NA too :) - thats coming from a Brit!

FSDT and FlightBeam quality are just fantastic and yes some FSDT stuff is older, it still holds its weight tbh compared to some new aerosoft stuff and UK stuff we have so I'd go for it!

Blue skies!

I bit the bullet yesterday and both airports are amazing! I previously owned JFK, ORD, LAX, GEN & LAS.

With the sale and all I went ahead and got Dallas Fort Worth & Fort Lauderdale to finish my US collection with FSDT combined with my 4 flight beam airports.

Flying in the states is pretty awesome now with OpenLC NA too :) - thats coming from a Brit!

FSDT and FlightBeam quality are just fantastic and yes some FSDT stuff is older, it still holds its weight tbh compared to some new aerosoft stuff and UK stuff we have so I'd go for it!

Blue skies!

I agree however KMEM has some faults and micro stutters they should solve at there end ;-)

KIAH is just a great airport actually like it more as KMEM. Great stuff with dynamic reflections on in P3D