DTG Martin

Update From the Dovetail Games Flight Team

Earlier this year, we announced the development of our new flight simulator, which generated an incredible amount of excitement in the community. We would like to thank you all for the tremendous amount of interest and support we have received so far. 

Based on your feedback, we have been focusing on three key areas: visuals, performance and experience, all of which are instrumental to the hobby. In order to further enhance these areas, we have made the decision to postpone the release of this project. 

In the meantime, we expect to have a detailed development update for you in the New Year. As a team, we are incredibly excited to share what we have been up to! Until then, we hope you have a fantastic holiday season and look forward to making 2017 a great year for flight simulation. 

Dovetail Games Flight Sim Team

• Upvote 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

*post moved to news thread*.

Trying to figure out how you did this if you did this as only AVSIM Moderators have this control. 

• Upvote 2

Good to finally have an update Martin although I do have to say DTG has not really done much for its reputation with the total absence of any DTG presence the last few weeks. Sadly DTG has followed the pattern of Flight School by making a late announcement of the delay, which only encourages the nay sayers, when I strongly suspect the writing was on the wall at least a month ago.

I've been willing to give DTG a reasonable amount of slack but I find this announcement really disappointing.You're only promising a detailed development update in the New Year rather than a release. This probably means the release won't take place until March/April. Unless there's been a huge amount of additional stuff aka "scope creep" added to the initial release at a very late stage it's hard to believe it wasn't obvious the end of the year target wasn't going to be met by end October at the latest.

All that said I'm glad you didn't try to foist a plainly unfinished release on us since that would have been the kiss of death for this project.

• Upvote 1

All that said I'm glad you didn't try to foist a plainly unfinished release on us since that would have been the kiss of death for this project.

Don't think anyone would disagree with that. The difficulty I see is judging just when a "plainly unfinished" product becomes a "finished" one particularly when Dovetail has said all along that this should be viewed as a base for the long term.

And saying that they are concentrating on "visuals, performance and experience" (doesn't that basically cover everything?) can only lead to even higher expectations.

Let's hope they can deliver on their promises.

I don't want to be one of those "nay sayers" but I think the probability is very high that it will be Prepar3d and XPlane11 with the increasing market share into the future.

If P3D brings out a 64bit release then I believe it will be the dominant player in the market due to the extensive 3rd party developer support it has although this could change as developer support increases for XPlane11

I currently have P3D with a lot of ORBX scenery, REX textures and AS16 and the Sim is literally stunning on my 4K monitor.

I've purchased Xplane 10 ready for the free upgrade to 11 when it is released and will fly both to compare and appreciate the differences.

• Upvote 1

An update that says there will be an update. Well, what's not to get excited about there...  :rolleyes:

Sounds like a lot of flannel, to be honest. I thought it was a bit odd when earlier this year they wouldn't mention anything about what features they intended to put in.

• Upvote 2

I think it would help DTG to generate some enthusiasm if they had some of their developers to engage with the community and start talking or writing about what improvements they are making or plan to make to the sim and what this will mean to users and 3PD's. This would be so much better than vague platitudes, marketing-speak, or questionnaires. Given that there is competition moving forward with new or improved products, the opportunity for DTG might slip away before they have a product to sell, unless they do something to maintain interest in this product.

• Upvote 3

Chances are they got cold feet with the immanent release of XP 11 and an updated P3D in the works.

They realized how much catching up they have to do to impress any serious simmer. 

Whenever Martin posts something, its basically noise. He hasn't said anything substantial since he first showed up here at avsim. Just empty marketing talk, sorry can't take him serious.

• Upvote 5

Just empty marketing talk, sorry can't take him serious.

I would have to agree with this statement.  Just because I am "devoted" to really only two sims at the moment, this doesn't mean I am not receptive to new offerings, technologies or developments for the betterment of the flight sim community as a whole.  This news is taken with a grain of salt and only when I see hard, definitive proof, will I actually take a closer look.

From what I have seen, heard and experienced so far, XP11 is fairing pretty decent in public beta and there is a slight buzz being generated about what LM has to offer for P3D, but otherwise, FSX is still the same and the DTGFS is pretty quiet, so perhaps with the later, maybe DTG is backtracking on a lot of marketing for their new simulator, playing it smart, and waiting until they have something of substance to show off.  So far, with DTGFS, it seemed they were just fishing for free feedback from the community, to see if this new sim would be viable.

I get bombarded by Dovetail Games adverts in YouTube.  Having looked into, I couldn't discern any particular reason to get me interested.

When I looked into X Plane there were clear reasons to be interested - it is sufficiently different to P3D to generate excitement.

Maybe I'm just missing the point with DTGFS?  Perhaps someone could enlighten me? :)

• Upvote 1

If DTG deliver a flight simulator next year, or any time for that matter, which is not backwards compatible with FSX aircraft and scenery then I fear it will die quickly for lack of demand.

DTG is basing the core simulation on the FSX and Flight engines, so I'm hopeful that current FSX aircraft and scenery will indeed be compatible, or at least easily made compatible with some sort of conversion patch.

I'm pleased to see that the developers have decided to hold off on release. This tells me that they took the community's feature requests and bug fix suggestions seriously and need more time to integrate them into the new sim.

Fingers crossed.

Dave

If DTG deliver a flight simulator next year, or any time for that matter, which is not backwards compatible with FSX aircraft and scenery then I fear it will die quickly for lack of demand.

DTG is basing the core simulation on the FSX and Flight engines, so I'm hopeful that current FSX aircraft and scenery will indeed be compatible, or at least easily

made compatible with some sort of conversion patch.

I'm pleased to see that the developers have decided to hold off on release. This tells me that they took the community's feature requests and bug fix suggestions

seriously and need more time to integrate them into the new sim.

Fingers crossed.

Dave

I disagree with that, If you want something that is new and fresh and modern, then you cannot keep making everything backwards compatible

because then it might suffer from too many restrictions/constrains of what it possibly could do.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pull the plug on the comparability to be able to move forward.

• Upvote 6

I disagree with that, If you want something that is new and fresh and modern, then you cannot keep making everything backwards compatible

because then it might suffer from too many restrictions/constrains of what it possibly could do.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pull the plug on the comparability to be able to move forward.

But it seems from Flight school they may not have done that.  In that they still used the same outdated database for airport locations as fsx and tried to stop adding aircraft etc.  Not a forward move.

• Upvote 1

I am fairly sure that DTG have stated that the new flight simulator will not be backwards compatible with existing FSX addons.

I am fairly sure that DTG have stated that the new flight simulator will not be backwards compatible with existing FSX addons.

Right, Martin stated that numerous times.

With a move to a 64-bit engine, every plane model using a plugin and many add-on utilities would need a new version written for a 64-bit environment anyway. This happened with X-Plane's move from 32 to 64 bits.

The scenery engine in FSX also needs to be revamped to take advantage of 64 bit address space, so there can be far better detail in the distance, higher resolution terrain mesh, and no pop-in for terrain loading. Otherwise it's going to look just like FSX and that's not going to sell this program.

Making the new DTG flight sim a 64 bit application would not require a total revamp of 32 bit FSX aircraft and scenery. As I said, I'm sure a low cost conversion patch could be developed so that current FSX aircraft and scenery could be used, the key word here being "low cost".

Otherwise, not only are we going to have to wait a long time for completely new aircraft, scenery, utilities, sounds, etc. to be developed, but we'll have to purchase them all over again.

I can only speak for myself, but if the new DTG sim can't use addons that I've spent hundreds of dollars on, which also means I'll have to wait years before the same types of addons are available again, then I won't be buying it.

Dave

Gimme something new any day! Please don't make this into yet another pig with lipstic on! 

Wake up people, just let it go, who needs an old mummy of a sim aka FSX. DTG, just create something new and fresh and bug free and fast, you got the code and it comes from the same people (hint, hint) you bought the mummy.

-eelis-

• Upvote 1

Why reinvent the wheel?  FSX already has an excellent core simulation platform. There's no need to create something new just for the sake of having something "new".

If DTG goes with many of the "please give us something completely new" suggestions in this thread, then not only will it be another 2 years before release but then we'll have to wait several more years before decent addons become available.

There's "pie in the sky", and then there's actually being realistic about things.

Dave

• Upvote 1

If DTG goes with many of the "please give us something completely new" suggestions in this thread, then not only will it be another 2 years before release but then we'll have to wait several more years before decent addons become available.

2 years should pass quickly, you can use your favorite sim FSX meanwhile, can you?

-eelis-