Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[07MAY17] The sorts of behaviors that cause me concern...

11 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Agreed.  Fsw will be rubbish and shallow humbug for the unlettered masses.

The usual character disparaging anyone who doesn't use the flight simulator as himself, is always present in our community. :laugh: Grow up Boomer, a flight simulator that doesn't focus on complex aircrafts is not "rubbish", and anyone who just wants to fly above some nice scenery without spending 1 hour in pre-flight is not "shallow" or "unlettered". They're doing exactly the same thing that you're doing, i.e. playing a "pretend I'm..." type of game. With the difference that probably they don't feel superior to you in doing so.

I say this with the utmost respect and admiration for PMDG and its incredible products, and for all the simmers who enjoy using complex airliners. But the insecure attitude of people like Boomer is really funny...

Marco Ottaviano

• Upvote 18

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

15 minutes ago, captainsazzman said:

there may be room in the market for dovetail if they choose to be the arcade sim archetype. However im doubtful they will become the main platform for the study simmer

A good point there.  I use Train Simulator 2017, and while it isn't that bad of a sim (though hard to make a comparison since it's the only mainstream train simulator right now), it gets better with add-on content from outside of DTG's Steam Channel of DLC.  I have some add-ons from JustTrains that aren't as forgiving for beginners and have better modeling and textures, as well as Add-ons from Armstrong Powerhouse, which could be viewed as the PMDG of the train simulation world...high level of difficulty, in that you need to read manuals and really have a serious commitment to running the train through scenarios and of course, some of the best detail and texturing.

Maybe DTG is attempting to compete with Aerofly FS2?

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

This is starting to sound like the same thing that happened with Falcon 4.0 and LeadPursuit and look what happened there. It drove a wedge in the community and almost destroyed it. I know of one instance where they took someone else's work and claimed as their own.

DTG has to remember that it was the dedicated third party Community that made FSX what it is today not them.

P3d and X-Plane may come out on top if they are not careful 

• Upvote 1

“Flying should not be a journey to the destination with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved Aircraft,

but rather to skid sideways in a cloud of smoke down the runway, engines on fire, passengers screaming, physically worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! That was one hell of a Ride and we're on Schedule!”

1 hour ago, bedgie said:

This is starting to sound like the same thing that happened with Falcon 4.0 and LeadPursuit and look what happened there. It drove a wedge in the community and almost destroyed it. I know of one instance where they took someone else's work and claimed as their own. 

True enuf as this grizzled old Falconeer recalls...though it was split between Allied Force and Open Falcon.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

Steam has had 14 Million concurrent users on earlier this year, that's a helluva exposure for any dlc as compared to a local store front. 

7 hours ago, bedgie said:

DTG has to remember that it was the dedicated third party Community that made FSX what it is today not them.

And we have to remember that DTG paid a wedge of cash for the rights to the FSX base code.. Its not all about how we got to where we are, its about where we're going as well! 

There needs to be a balance struck here where DTG make a return on their investment, without strangling 3PDs.  There is no way this will work if either side insist they are the most important part of the equation.

Developing for FSW will not be the same as developing for P3D.  It will be much more a symbiotic relationship.

Consequently the debate is just going to be about the numbers, the %.  I think IMHO a 30% cut is on the high side, but it's not in our interests for those negotiations to be out in public, so lets let devs and DTG see if they can settle on a framework and % that all can swallow.  :)

• Upvote 3

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

6 hours ago, ohsirus said:

Steam has had 14 Million concurrent users on earlier this year, that's a helluva exposure for any dlc as compared to a local store front. 

Who provides support for all these new customers that buy content, don't bother reading documentation and complain x&y doesn't work? 

Alaister Kay

Well, there is also hope for P3D v4. 

To be honest, there are a lot of people out there (like me), choosing the sim with the best offer of addons. If PMDG and others like FSL decide not to go with this new Dovetail Sim, because of this steam thing, I will not buy this Sim either. 

It should be and is the problem of Dovetail, not PMDGs, not Aerosofts and not the problem of other addon developer. If the offer is not high enough, people will stay away from this sim. 

And to be honest, the "new" sim from Dovetail doesn't look good at all imho. 

• Upvote 2

Philipp Schwaegerl

1 hour ago, Zuendholz said:

And to be honest, the "new" sim from Dovetail doesn't look good at all imho. 

Well not so far.  But Murmur apparently hopes otherwise, as do the 8 merry followers who upvoted his presumptive remarks.

spacer.png

18 hours ago, Boomer said:

Agreed.  Fsw will be rubbish and shallow humbug for the unlettered masses.

Yikes.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

7 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Yikes.

Are you hopeful or delusional...?  :-P

spacer.png

19 hours ago, Murmur said:

:laugh: Grow up Boomer

Wake up Murmur. :laugh:

(I have encountered your kind before and your opinion means nothing to me.)

You all get the last word now as I depart this thread before it degenerates further.

spacer.png

Play nicely now, Please!! (remember, it's only a game):biggrin:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

On Sun May 07 2017 at 6:06 AM, Narutokun said:

Developing a train for Train Sims and developing highly complex aircraft are 2 vastly different things. The cost of development for the latter is far beyond what it takes to make a train simulation.

I totally agree with you here. I've seen DTG's work on train sim 2017, and the add-ons, and frankly speaking, it's a nightmare 😣😣😣

• Upvote 1

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

14 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

And we have to remember that DTG paid a wedge of cash for the rights to the FSX base code.. Its not all about how we got to where we are, its about where we're going as well! 

There needs to be a balance struck here where DTG make a return on their investment, without strangling 3PDs.  There is no way this will work if either side insist they are the most important part of the equation.

Developing for FSW will not be the same as developing for P3D.  It will be much more a symbiotic relationship.

Consequently the debate is just going to be about the numbers, the %.  I think IMHO a 30% cut is on the high side, but it's not in our interests for those negotiations to be out in public, so lets let devs and DTG see if they can settle on a framework and % that all can swallow.  :)

I beg to disagree. PMDG, by wanting to market their products themselves, do not in any way claim higher importance than DTG, but DTG, in my opinion is claiming higher importance. There's nothing about percentages. It should be zero and 100%, period. They will already make more profit when more customers buy their sim because of PMDG and other premium developers. This is nothing short of greed.  If anyone should pay, they should be the ones to actually pay the 3rd party developers for increasing their profit margin, but the 3rd party developers are not charging anything, so they should be happy. If they go down that route then I (and I a host of others, I believe) will boycott their game. 

• Upvote 1

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara