Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[07MAY17] The sorts of behaviors that cause me concern...

For what it's worth Robert (I suspect nothing) i found your response to Dovetail rather amusing, but to be fair Aimee has been patient and polite with the community as well as engaged in a way i don't think we have seen before from a FS developer.

I could sense the frustration in your public response Robert, I hope that you and Aimee were able to at least start the process of bringing your superb products to the new Flight Sim.

I'll be buying it tomorrow, for the asking price it's a no brainer.  If i continue to use and invest in it is largely down to developers such as yourself.

• Upvote 1

Ian R Tyldesley

Well I went ahead and took the plunge, and dropped the $25 on the early access release of FSW on Steam.  I see it as a hedge bet - if the product happens to take off, and the price of FSW goes up later, then I just saved a lot of money.  On the other hand, if the whole thing tanks, well then, I'm not really out whole a lot.

The sense I get from playing around with the FSW platform so far is that a lot of things that we are used to from FSX/P3D are missing or not yet implemented in FSW - stuff like real-world weather, for example.  There are also only about a half dozen or so planes (all GA prop-jobs) available to fly right now, as well.  My hope is that DTG is still in a mode where they are developing and adding features to FSW, and perhaps they do not feel that they are quite far enough along to reach out to developers like PMDG to discuss bringing their products to the platform just yet.

That said, I do think there is a lot of potential there, and I like some of the things I have seen so far in FSW.  I really do hope DTG will sit down with PMDG, and hash out terms that are mutually beneficial to both sides to bring PMDG products to the platform.  I think FSW really needs PMDG products running on it to be successful.

Still, that is no excuse for poor developer relations, and lack of communication.  Even a simple response of, "we are interested, but we are not ready to discuss it yet" would go a long way toward building goodwill with the developer community.  The third-party add-ons like those produced by PMDG are what have made FSX (and subsequently P3D) a vibrant and engaging flight simulation platform for over 10 years now.  FSW will not ultimately be a success unless developers like PMDG are supported and encouraged to bring their products to that platform.  Playing games by holding the customers hostage in hardball negotiations does not serve any of us in the community well - if indeed that is what is happening here.

At any rate, I think it would be a real shame if FSW failed because producers like PMDG were not able to bring their products to that platform.  FSX is getting rather long in the tooth, and it is time to modernize the platform.

Apparently, according to FSDreamTeam, they've been told by DTG that, to be an "official" FSW add-on, the product has to be available through Steam; however, there seems to be the option of foregoing the "official" status and selling through other channels without having to give Steam/DTG a cut of the sales.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Well I think they might have to review their strategy now, with P3D v4 just announced for next week, being 64 bits as well, and that we know most of the 3rd parties we all like will support. They might have to review this policy to have a chance to compete, or they will stuck with it and maybe fail.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, wedgantilles said:

Well I think they might have to review their strategy now, with P3D v4 just announced for next week, being 64 bits as well, and that we know most of the 3rd parties we all like will support. They might have to review this policy to have a chance to compete, or they will stuck with it and maybe fail.

Yeap, clearly !:gaul:

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I wonder what the chances of 64bit FSW being compatible with 64 bit P3D v4 are?

was wondering if PMDG in all innocence is not trying to influence a market decision ...

20 hours ago, Paul_Smith said:

I wonder what the chances of 64bit FSW being compatible with 64 bit P3D v4 are?

None, the code source are probably different on both side, and for a compatibility, it would mean that either of the two sims would have to completely implement the other API for programming. So most definitely not happening.

I wonder if anyone has done comparative tests between them?

Now that will be interesting to see.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

On 5/23/2017 at 10:24 AM, wedgantilles said:

I don't think they will at this point.  They clearly used the term ecosystem yesterday on their live stream.  They also remarked about the license agreement in P3D.  

They are clueless but greedy.  They're banking on their rain drops and other unique features.  People are in awe over the rain but fail to realize it costs them dearly in performance.  Add in some true third party aircraft and you'll be stuttering like a captured criminal.  

I fully expect P3D to reign supreme over FSW.  

• Upvote 3

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Any discussions regarding the EULA will be removed and the reason you no longer see the last three posts.

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Thanks for quickly rescuing this thread from closure. It's bad enough that this poor dead horse has been beaten into a pulp. But what's worse is these kinds of posts are also filled with misinformation  and that causes additional people to respond.

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2017 at 1:20 AM, Manny said:

If PMDG could sell within Dovetail channel and outside channel, why not just increase the prices... say to 300$ via the Dovetail channel and your regular price for P3D etc.  Just take the cost of doing business with dovetail into your price. And let the users of Dovetail decide what platform they want to use..   Unless I am missing the point.  

In any case, so far I do not have interest in Dovetail (although I bought their training and their regular product.. I did not install either).  I am perfectly happy with P3D and if their V4 is 64bit that would be it.

I am not a big fan of this Install within their eco system crap.  I like it to be free.. Thats why I have stopped  using the new Orbx  eco system for the same reason.  

I'm fairly certain, that they're not allowed to this. Because that would solve the problem, with the 'cut' Steam and DTG takes on an addon. But I think, that DTG won't allow this - mainly for the specific reason that a price differentiation would be counter-productive for their distribution methods.

This is just my personal thoughts... I could be wrong, though... 

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

For those pontificating about pricing, you may want to have a look at the concept of MSRP, and why it exists. More specifically, why there's an 'S' in that acronym, and what that might mean.

There's a lot more to economics and agreements than it seems many of these points are willing to address.

Kyle Rodgers