Sign in to follow this  
ge01

P3Dv4 vs FSX display

Hello,

I'm beginning with P3Dv4, after years with FSX. I find a striking difference in lighting and contrast between FSX and P3D, see attached pictures. These pictures were taken at the same location (YPMQ), orientation, time and day, with the A2A Comanche, one of my favorite planes, with same zoom factor. I find that P3D display is much too bright and somewhat hazy, there is a lack of contrast which removes details from the grass and sky, and so on. In addition, the default GPS display is unreadable because the digits are too bright (ok, not much better in FSX, but i expected some improvement).

Needless to say, I tried many different graphics settings, but without results.  Any idea ?

Cheers,

Gerard.

http://imgur.com/rTmU0cY

http://imgur.com/JOlYtid

Keep trying until you get the combination you like. Also you might consider a program like PTA which gives even finer control over various aspects. 

They have a forum here:  https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/764-p3d-tweak-assistant-pta-and-realismshaderpack/

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It takes a while to get used to the difference. It's also a matter of personal preference to some degree. Looking at your pictures, I prefer P3D. Looks more realistic and less "pastell"-like and cartoony than FSX

You can try turning off HDR lighting. It should theortically bring the display closer to FSX. There's, I believe, also an option to simulate the brightness of looking into the sun that you'd have in real life. Mostly visible when you look down at the dashboard, then pan up to look out window. Everything is brighter for a second or so like in real life. You can try turning that off as well.

Andre

• Upvote 1

You probably need to turn off HDR... or do like I did and go back to FSX.  I gave 58 days of my life to P3Dv4; but even with PTA, I never could get it to look as good as my (heavily-modified) FSX.

If you want less light in the daytime you can try to decrease the value  TONEMAP_DAY_EXPOSURE_KEY  on C: \ User \ User \ AppData \ Roaming \ Lockheed Martin \ Prepar3D v4 \ Prepar3D.cfg  under  [GRAPHICS].

Yikes, quite the difference. One is washed out, the other is too dark or saturated.

Another option is to run SweetFX.

Thanks guys, I will try the different mods you propose and let you know...

G.

It' probably just HDR settings.  PTA has a great preset made by Adamski_NZ that tones down the HDR just right.

And there are monitor adjustments also!!! Contrast, Brightness, Gamma and Digital Vibrance. This would be the first step: adjust your monitor to your simulator.

After you can play with the other settings mentioned above.

Cheers,

Pierre

Love the 4K resolution and HR I get in P3Dv4.

Would never go back to FSX that now looks "mickey mouse" to me, despite the many years I have invested into it.

Looking forward, not backward.

Kind regards,

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AviatorMoser said:

Turn off the bloom in the HDR settings. I personally can't stand it.

I agree. This is what is the problem with the first image. The Bloom effect in P3D quickly gets way, way out of hand once you start moving the slider towards the right. It can easily create overexposed and overbright and washed out graphics if you are not careful with the setting.

Try this as a test:

FXAA off

Lighting
shadow quality:  off

HDR on:
Brightness 0.85
Bloom 0.85
Saturation 0.80

Bert

3 hours ago, ppo said:

This would be the first step: adjust your monitor to your simulator.

I disagree. If everything else you do on your PC looks ok, the worse thing you could do is to adjust your monitor to make P3D look better. That would only be a good suggestion if P3D was the only thing you used your system for or you had multiple customisable presets on your monitor. Even then I'd say adjust P3D, not the monitor!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

10 hours ago, gregda said:

It' probably just HDR settings.  PTA has a great preset made by Adamski_NZ that tones down the HDR just right.

Tried his pre set and if he is the master we have a long way to go - overall effect is much too green particularly the ocean.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."