scrunge49

Sad day goodbye A380

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

30 minutes ago, scrunge49 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47231504

Probably inevitable but sad to see never the less,

Yearh... well, in my personal opinion (and I'm probably quite alone with that), I never really liked or cared for the A380.

It's ugly, completely lacking the grace and beauty of the 747 and apparently unnecessary given the future of the aviation business.

Personally I couldn't see a market for it and I'm - to be a little cruel - happy to see it go.

(Now, roast me!) 😄

Edited by Anders Bermann
  • Like 12

19 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

Yearh... well, in my personal opinion (and I'm probably quite alone with that), I never really liked or cared for the A380.

It's ugly, completely lacking the grace and beauty of the 747 and apparently unnecessary given the future of the aviation business.

Personally I couldn't see a market for it and I'm - to be a little cruel - happy to see it go.

(Now, roast me!) 😄

So I guess you never flew in one, because anyone that has would not necessarily agree with you. I've flown Qantas YMML to KLAX in both an A380 and reverse in B744, a B788 YMML to Abu Dhabi then to Paris in an A380 and the A380 was the better passenger experience each time.  And I'm saying this as man in love with the B744/748.

Edited by YMMB
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have flown in one. Emirates Business class. It was comfortable, but nothing different than I have experienced in any number of aircraft.  The 78 however is the exception to the rule now.  It walks circles around any aircraft in the long range market.

Good riddance to the A380.  The flying forhead is ugly, it hasn't lived up to its promises by Airbus, and that 'Super' has cause enough mayhem on airport infrastructure for absolutely no gain.

• Like 4

I think the A380 is very beautiful. There is no better way of packing 4 engines and wings onto a two story building and let it fly. 

They stop building new ones but I am glad that we still see it fly for a few years. He is just ahead of time and I think in the far future there will be planes with a similiar concept. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YMMB said:

So I guess you never flew in one, because anyone that has would not necessarily agree with you. I've flown Qantas YMML to KLAX in both an A380 and reverse in B744, a B788 YMML to Abu Dhabi then to Paris in an A380 and the A380 was the better passenger experience each time.  And I'm saying this as man in love with the B744/748.

Agree with you because I have flown in it UK-Dubai; Melbourne-Dubai; as well as all the other gamut of 744s, 757s, 757s, A320s, etc, etc. Okay, looks may not win beauty competitions, but for the load factor, which is far more important to any airline in a business to make a profit, it delivers. And I have found it to be a very pleasant, comfortable aircraft to be flying long distances in.

Unlike folk I meet in a travel agency, who ask me 'oh, but why isn't airline so-and-so offering me cheaper fares?' 'What, at peak times? Oh.I forgot. They only exist so that passengers like you can get cheap fares as and when you demand, eh?'

I think that the A380 is a very elegant aircraft, and I am sorry to hear this news. There will always be a place for four engine long haul airliners in my book. Maybe not economically, but certainly aesthetically.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's so ironic in a world where pilot demand is increasing, passenger number are ever higher, that the largest people carrier is no longer viable economically due to lack of demand. But the economics is quite simple.  2 engines are better than 4 (these days)

Very approx fuel burns per hour (long haul)

777-300ER: ........7.5 t/h

747-8: .......10.8 t/h

A380:  .....12.2 t/h

B787-9  ......5.4 t/h

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

777-300ER: ........7.5 t/h

747-8: .......10.8 t/h

A380:  .....12.2 t/h

B787-9  ......5.4 t/h

What's that per person?

Edited by srce

8 minutes ago, srce said:

What's the per person?

For long haul:  (many other variables here, but approx)

777-300ER.....3 ltr/100km/seat

B747-8......2.82ltr/100km/seat

A380......3.16ltr/100km/seat

B787-9....2.49ltr/100km/seat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy_in_aircraft

Really sad to hear this

Always made a point of flying the A380 with Singapore Airlines whenever I flew out to Australia or New Zealand

Loved the plane and remember seeing it for the first time, thought it looked far too big and clumsy to get off the ground

Although this news wasn't altogether unexpected, I also was very sorry to hear it. Although the A380 would certainly not win any prizes in an airliner beauty contest, I still really like it and I too think it actually looks quite elegant particularly when it is off the ground. I guess part of the attraction for me lies in the amazing technological achievement which this aircraft demonstrates as the largest passenger carrying airliner ever developed. However the decision by Airbus to go down the pathway of a new very large 4-engined aircraft was probably not the wisest one and the timing was wrong, as Tom Enders more or less admitted. In the end, like quite a few other airliners, its economics have been its own downfall.

Like it or not however, the A380 will continue to have an iconic status as the largest passenger airliner ever to go into regular airline service and hopefully it will be around for quite a few years more. Whether we will ever see a quality simulated version is however another question.

Bill

8 minutes ago, scianoir said:

A380 would certainly not win any prizes in an airliner beauty contest

Setting at Vienna airport and watching a 380's taxi, I thought they were rather beautiful and majestic. Though airlines don't choose aircraft for their esthetics. 😉

1 hour ago, scianoir said:

Like it or not however, the A380 will continue to have an iconic status as the largest passenger airliner ever to go into regular airline service and hopefully it will be around for quite a few years more. Whether we will ever see a quality simulated version is however another question.

Bill

Probably not “ quite a few years more” as the first ones are already being retired at just over 10 years old, and I doubt there’ll be a rush to turn them in to freighters like you can with a 20 year plus 747.

i don’t like them personally, they’re always in the way either blocking localiser signals or taxiways.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ErichB said:

It's so ironic in a world where pilot demand is increasing, passenger number are ever higher, that the largest people carrier is no longer viable economically due to lack of demand. But the economics is quite simple.  2 engines are better than 4 (these days)

It wasn't just the fuel economics though. It wasn't a good fit for existing airport infrastructure either. 

I never flew on one, but just on appearance I think it's not a good-looking aircraft. The 747's forward bulge managed to look unique and appropriate for something that large. The 380 just looks bloated to me. Or maybe I'm just biased, with the 747 being around for so many years.

• Upvote 2

It's still going to be around for quite some time. Just because they won't be making any new ones doesn't mean it's getting withdrawn from all services anytime soon.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

It's still going to be around for quite some time. Just because they won't be making any new ones doesn't mean it's getting withdrawn from all services anytime soon.

I'm not so sure about that. I have a feeling, that many airlines will retire them sooner than later. 

The future routing structure suggests, that more and more airlines are making direct long haul routes with small to medium sized aircrafts; Boeing 787, A350 and Boeing 777X. I have a feeling, that the market for the A380 (and 4-engine aircrafts in general, when comes to passenger services) are dying out.

There's not that many airlines left, where the A380 was needed. One of them, was actually Emirates, since they're still have quite a central hub-structure, where the A380 would fit in. All the more interesting, that they're dropping it - I guess it's too expensive to use...

If it's money that's the reason for the A380 being dumped by airlines (and it usually is), I guess the remaining airlines which have the A380 in service also are looking for alternatives, fairly quickly, hence I think we'll see more and more airlines simply stop flying with it, and replacing them with cheaper alternatives; A350 or B787/B777...
Especially in the competitive, economical and ecological climate, that airliners are operating in. They're constantly looking to cut costs and the A380 is apparently quite expensive to keep in the air. 

We're already seeing airlines grounding the plane early. To be honest, I don't think we'll be seeing the A380 for decades to come... 

10 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

I have flown in one. Emirates Business class. It was comfortable, but nothing different than I have experienced in any number of aircraft.  The 78 however is the exception to the rule now.  It walks circles around any aircraft in the long range market.

Except that the 787 really doesn't run "circles around any aircraft in the long range market". Have you ever sat by the window in a 787? It can get uncomfortably hot when the electronic window shades are fully dimmed - something I've never experienced in an aeroplane with conventional window blinds.
Cabin altitude of 6,000ft on the 787 is a very nice feature, but the A380 and A350 now manage the same, and are set up to be more comfortable for the passenger.

Thought 10-across in a 777 was bad? Try 9-across in the 787 with very narrow armrests and personal space at shoulder height. Yes, I'm aware it's the airlines that choose seating arrangements, but Boeing sets its planes up for narrower seat width to get the extra seat per row in.

Having been lucky enough to fly on all 3 aircraft multiple times in the last 4 years, I make an active choice to take the newer Airbus offerings. (Though I'd take a 787 over 777 any day).

9 hours ago, ErichB said:

Yup, it came a bit too late to market when ETOPS ranges were being expanded, delayed by its CATIA design issues, over-engineered for a -900 model that never made it past the drawing board, and came with engines that are now being bettered in regards to fuel burn by the GEnx and Trent XWB. A catalogue of errors that meant it could never live up to its potential.

45 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

It wasn't just the fuel economics though. It wasn't a good fit for existing airport infrastructure either. 

Neither was the 747 when she first flew - the problem really is that for the airlines it's too much aircraft (over-engineered for a model that never came) for the number of passengers on-board in the usual airline density.

4 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

I'm not so sure about that. I have a feeling, that many airlines will retire them sooner than later. 

Quite likely, sadly. The ability of leasing companies to make large aircraft available to airlines that would never contemplate flying something as large as an A380, will enable them to compete on these A380 routes at a big cost advantage. Running an A380 (even one that's been fully depreciated in the accounts) will be too expensive against the 787-10, A350-900 and 777-X when it arrives.

@F737NG yes I have flown next to the window a couple times in the 78. Never noticed it being hot.  And it's not the cabin altitude that's the benefit of the 78 it's the humidity level they can keep it at.  If you truly want to know an aircrafts benefits don't talk to people that ride them once in a blue moon, talk to the people who operate them routinely.  The 78 is a more comfortable ride, it doesn't plague the body with most of the long haul maladies as other long haul aircraft do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

@F737NG yes I have flown next to the window a couple times in the 78. Never noticed it being hot.  And it's not the cabin altitude that's the benefit of the 78 it's the humidity level they can keep it at.  If you truly want to know an aircrafts benefits don't talk to people that ride them once in a blue moon, talk to the people who operate them routinely.  The 78 is a more comfortable ride, it doesn't plague the body with most of the long haul maladies as other long haul aircraft do.

Agree, 5 Transatlantic flights to Europe/Austria.

Been on the 787 twice and rode window both times. Never noticed it being hot either. I was perfectly comfortable.

• Upvote 1

And not one US/Canadian carrier decided to purchase the A380, I would have thought the shear volume of air travelers in the US and the distance coast to coast, as well as the trans Atlantic sector, would have justified its' purchase, Australia with it's measly population of 25 million has 12 operating through Qantas - how economical they are is another question. In any case I don't see how the A380 could compete with the current 787, A350 economy and with the 777X eventual release I think that will change the way we travel long distances with 300-400 passengers.

The 380 is by far the best I've ever travelled in.

29 minutes ago, DavidP said:

The 380 is by far the best I've ever travelled in.

Likewise! I often travel from ZUE to TPE via Dubai with Emirates and each leg is a very comfortable flying experience. I hope that the A380 will be operated for another 20 to 30 years.

Besides, I also consider the look of this giant not only as impressive but also as quite aesthetic.

Edited by Flyfox

IMO,  It is an ugly looking aircraft, not elegant at all.  It looks like a fat guppy, not elegant at all This was Airbus' idea to trump Boeing.  The reason passengers who flew it liked it so much was that it was spacious, of course it was, cause it was never really full.  It reminds me of people that bought the American car the PontiacAztek.  They loved it cause they didn't have to look at the exterior when they were in it.. Besides, I'm a Boeing fan, can you tell?

Gnacino

Edited by Gnacino
  • Upvote 1