Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Jim Young Resigning as Forums Administrator

I have Stage 4 Lung Cancer and have decided to step down immediately as the Forums Administrator to ensure continuity of operations.  I will remain on the AVSIM Staff working with the AVSIM CEO when needed.

Tom appointed me to this position in November 2013 and I have mostly enjoyed my long tour of duty as the Forums Administrator.  I believe this position was one of the most difficult and challenging positions at AVSIM.  I want to thank everyone at AVSIM who helped make my job a little easier and enjoyable.  It was especially tough when Tom suddenly passed away leaving AVSIM with no leadership. Tom called me from his bed at the hospital and told me he had 'only months' left to live and wanted AVSIM to continue his legacy. It was a surprise to us all when he passed away within a month. It was Chase, Chuck Jodry, and me who got together and decided to assist Tom's wife, the new CEO, continue the legacy of Tom and AVSIM.  That role mostly continues today but we have added more members to the Board and they will have major roles in continuing the legacy in the future.

I may survive this bout with cancer (and the doctor's give me great chances) but, with cancer, you never know exactly what it will do.  I want to thank our membership for everything they have done to try to make my job easier.  I especially want to thank our moderators who put up with me for several years.  I tried my best to keep AVSIM the number 1 flight simulation website.  We still get over one million hits on the site each month and register over 700 new members each month.  Thanks too to the many developers who chose AVSIM as their site for their official support forums.  I hope AVSIM continues to grow.

A new Forums Admin will be appointed soon.

Thanks again everyone! It has been fun!

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 21
  • Upvote 3

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just to wish you a speedy recovery, Jim. I'm pretty sure you will win this battle. Positive thoughts on your way my friend. And thank you for your efforts on AVSim.

• Like 1

The things people do to get out of a job. :rolleyes:

The big C ain't what it used to be. You'll be fine Jim. Oh and you made a typo. You said I may survive, when you meant I will survive.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 4

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

Jim,

Let me say one thing for sure: Everyone out here will have you in their prayers, hoping you make a complete recovery...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dang Jim.

My cancer was discovered early enough that it was not a terrible fix. But, as you say, you never know with cancer.

Give 'em hell.

• Like 2

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Jim, 

Keeping you in my thoughts and wishing you a very speedy recovery. Thanks for all your efforts over the years. 

• Like 1

We've got your back, boss!:happy:  Kick cancer in the ass!😉

• Like 5

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks for all the great help you've given me and others Jim!

John

• Like 1

The best to you in your battle with this. Your contributions here will always be in our hearts and minds!  And don't go far. Still expect to see you around these parts in an enthusiast role!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Best wishes to you, and many many thanks for everything.

• Like 1

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 32 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 2080 TI OS : Win 10 PRO Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, 2x Saitek Radios, 1x Saitek Multipanel, 1x Saitek Proflight Switch, Custom homecockpit.

Thanks for all Jim, and the very best with your recovery. You will win this!

• Like 1

========================

HAPPY FLYING

Raymond

Jim - All the best wishes to you and thanks for all your great work here at AVSIM these past years. We all appreciate everything you did for us and hope you beat the cancer thing! Look forward to your further participation for many more years!

Bruce Scott

• Like 3

I hope you will have a full recovery and that it will never come back !

• Like 2

Roi Ben