Jim Young

Jim Young Resigning as Forums Administrator

I have Stage 4 Lung Cancer and have decided to step down immediately as the Forums Administrator to ensure continuity of operations.  I will remain on the AVSIM Staff working with the AVSIM CEO when needed.

Tom appointed me to this position in November 2013 and I have mostly enjoyed my long tour of duty as the Forums Administrator.  I believe this position was one of the most difficult and challenging positions at AVSIM.  I want to thank everyone at AVSIM who helped make my job a little easier and enjoyable.  It was especially tough when Tom suddenly passed away leaving AVSIM with no leadership. Tom called me from his bed at the hospital and told me he had 'only months' left to live and wanted AVSIM to continue his legacy. It was a surprise to us all when he passed away within a month. It was Chase, Chuck Jodry, and me who got together and decided to assist Tom's wife, the new CEO, continue the legacy of Tom and AVSIM.  That role mostly continues today but we have added more members to the Board and they will have major roles in continuing the legacy in the future.

I may survive this bout with cancer (and the doctor's give me great chances) but, with cancer, you never know exactly what it will do.  I want to thank our membership for everything they have done to try to make my job easier.  I especially want to thank our moderators who put up with me for several years.  I tried my best to keep AVSIM the number 1 flight simulation website.  We still get over one million hits on the site each month and register over 700 new members each month.  Thanks too to the many developers who chose AVSIM as their site for their official support forums.  I hope AVSIM continues to grow.

A new Forums Admin will be appointed soon.

Thanks again everyone! It has been fun!

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 21
  • Upvote 3

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just to wish you a speedy recovery, Jim. I'm pretty sure you will win this battle. Positive thoughts on your way my friend. And thank you for your efforts on AVSim.

• Like 1

The things people do to get out of a job. :rolleyes:

The big C ain't what it used to be. You'll be fine Jim. Oh and you made a typo. You said I may survive, when you meant I will survive.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 4

Jim,

Let me say one thing for sure: Everyone out here will have you in their prayers, hoping you make a complete recovery...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dang Jim.

My cancer was discovered early enough that it was not a terrible fix. But, as you say, you never know with cancer.

Give 'em hell.

• Like 2

Jim, 

Keeping you in my thoughts and wishing you a very speedy recovery. Thanks for all your efforts over the years. 

• Like 1

We've got your back, boss!:happy:  Kick cancer in the ass!😉

• Like 5

Thanks for all the great help you've given me and others Jim!

John

• Like 1

Jim

Wishing you a prompt recovery.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The best to you in your battle with this. Your contributions here will always be in our hearts and minds!  And don't go far. Still expect to see you around these parts in an enthusiast role!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Best wishes to you, and many many thanks for everything.

• Like 1

Thanks for all Jim, and the very best with your recovery. You will win this!

• Like 1

Jim - All the best wishes to you and thanks for all your great work here at AVSIM these past years. We all appreciate everything you did for us and hope you beat the cancer thing! Look forward to your further participation for many more years!

Bruce Scott

• Like 3

I do wish you well and hope you beat this.

• Like 2

I hope you will have a full recovery and that it will never come back !

• Like 2

Sorry to read this and wishing you the best. Thanks for what you have done for our hobby.

• Like 2

Thanks for a everything Jim. All the best to you with your battle of lung cancer. My Mother of 74 has survived her battle with lung cancer and you will too. Look forward to you being around on AVSIM for many more years.  

• Like 2

Thoughts and prayers to you and family.  Go and beat this insidious thing called Cancer.  I know you will WIN!

God Bless You Sir.

• Like 2

I had a bout with stage 4 lymphoma this past year (May '18-Feb '19). Definitely not a fun time, but certainly not the death sentence it used to be thanks to major medical advances. Good luck to you, and feel free to reach out if you want to talk to someone who went through something similar

• Like 2

Jim, as mean as you are cancer doesn't have a chance. :wink: Get well soon. Thanks for the help you've given me in the past.

• Like 2

Holy c a r p Jim! Hopes & prayers friend! Go kick the C's word not allowed! Drive the 'vette like you stole it. I'm assuming you own one. If not, borrow someone else's!

Clear skies sir!

• Like 2

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Jim. We'll all be waiting for your return to the forums.

• Like 3

Wishing you the best for your health. You have been and are a great admin. 👍

• Like 3

my wishes and prayers with you for a speedy recovery, fight the word not allowed thing.

• Like 2

Best wishes for the future and hope it all turns out well.

• Like 2