Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Bye-bye P3D...

Sorry to hear you're giving up Noel.  But geez...

In all the years I ran FSX, I re-installed exactly once, and that was almost immediately and only because I originally installed in the Program Files folder and quickly realized the error of my ways.

In the years I've now been running P3D v4 I've re-installed exactly, well... never.  Oh, I've updated the various pieces, but I'm still running what's basically the original install.

Sure I've had my share of minor glitches over the years, but I simply have not had the kind of major issues that I see others have causing constant, endless re-installs.  FSX would OOM when I pushed too hard (generally due to too much wx) but otherwise it was quite stable.  P3D?  Just pretty much works, period.  I sit down, I start it up and I enjoy.

What is it that so many are doing that I'm not?  I have a boatload of Orbx, quite a few other airports, a fair bit of photoscenery, GPS's, tons of airplanes, a bunch of hardware (radios, AP modules, switch modules, yoke, quadrant, rudder pedals), Active Sky, SPAD, FSUIPC and tons of other stuff - not Rob level 😄 but still... Mostly I just get to fly.

Sure makes me wonder when others have so many issues.

Not gloating by any means (and I've probably just jinxed myself bigtime!), I just really wonder. 

Best of luck Noel and hope you can continue to enjoy the hobby.

Scott

Edited by tttocs

19 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

Meanwhile here's my setup.

Is it just an optical illusion due to angle or...?  Those rudder pedals look HUGE!

Nice setup Kevin. 😁

Scott

Indeed Noel. Life is too short to dance with an ugly woman  (and beauty is in the eye of the beholder)............Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, Captain Kevin said:

Meanwhile here's my setup.

(irish accent) What's in the case?

:)

That's from the movie "Ronin".  Great car chase scenes, worth watching for that.

Noel -- you could enjoy other hobbies for a while.  Then see how you feel about it.  For me, I have had nothing but success with P3Dv4.x, no crashes etc. and it has been a reliable sim.  I don't think there is anything else like flight simulation.  I guess maybe train sim, etc., but, they're just not the same to me.  I get bored for a while, I do something else.  I know you should do what you want, you have earned that in life.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

9 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I’m the Aspirin. 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, Have't you run into the wall of max USB Drives? I have... and I doubht if I have as many as yours.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I have lots of FSX scenery and some aircraft all running perfectly well in P3Dv4.5. I have a large number of pay aircraft and lots of ORBX. P3D has been a massive improvement over FSX with its OOMs and other hassles. I have hardly had an issue with P3D and am very happy with it. BTW, Rob that is some setup you have. I am feeling like some big guy has kicked sand in my face.

Bernie😋

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 6:36 PM, Rob_Ainscough said:

uc?id=1WYrAD-S7lRzf8bJ6rvRq_QcrjgFfbQAZ

So that's how a woman works.

Thanks Rob.

Edited by cowpatz
  • Like 3

Cheers

Steve Hall

Cowpatz.............LMAO

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

21 hours ago, tttocs said:

Is it just an optical illusion due to angle or...?  Those rudder pedals look HUGE!

No, they really are that big.

18 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

So are you a size 13 foot, 7 feet tall? 

I am 5'12".

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

14 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I'm actually looking into designing something more robust and yet affordable but that's further out on my company road map ... it's desktop based (not full size cockpit) with configurations from $1000 - $40,000 and/or build as money permits (very modular) and intended to be more universal (something that can be used with standard furniture) and hopefully fill the gap between high-end $120,000+ full scale cockpits and the desktop flyers.

Cheers, Rob.

I have often thought about constructing -- out of something like aluminum -- a modular "cockpit", that I could configure for various aircraft by simply unplugging various peripherals and moving them to another "socket".  These "sockets" would be bolted in (or maybe I could think up some other ingenious click-in way of connecting them to the frame) to various spots on this frame to allow for multiple aircraft configurations.

In other words, if I fly an aircraft with overhead throttles (Grumman Goose, maybe?) then I would have a frame around me, with a "socket" above me, perfectly matching my throttle housing, complete with a USB wire running up the frame into that socket.  Then, if I decided to fly a 777, I would unhook the throttles and place them next to my right knee, in another "socket"/housing down there that had its own USB plug in.  I'd then plug in some sort of (probably generic) switch panel into the overhead "socket" for 777 lights, elec, etc.

Anyway, I do own a MIG welder, but I have never gotten around to doing this.  I'm not sure I'd like having a big monstrous aluminum frame in my house (I would have to make hinges in it to fit it thru doorways).  :)    Plus I would probably need a good TIG welder to weld something that precisely.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

10 minutes ago, Mace said:

I have often thought about constructing -- out of something like aluminum -- a modular "cockpit"

Absolutely!  Years ago I was ready to start ordering hardware and then it hit me, I enjoy flying all sorts of different aircraft... so now I'm getting ready to build a touchscreen flight deck.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I envy you young guys who know the ins and outs of Windows 10 and flawlessly run P3d.  I'm just too old a horse to make it work or even understand how it all works anymore.

I have a hard time and reading and instructions these days.  If I don't already know how to do it, forget it.  For some of us you do get too old to learn...or even remember in some cases.

My brother who is two years younger than I am was a programmer for years.  He started in DOS and moved up with every new iteration of windows.  Two years ago he called me up and said he had to quit programming.  Routines that used to automatically pop up in his head he had to start looking up.  It got so he had to quit.  He told me he could still program in DOS, but who does that anymore?

It won't happen to all you gloating young whippersnappers for whom everything runs perfectly, but time will catch up with many of you.  The brain slows down.  The memory slows down.  The learning curve flattens out and you get to a point where you lose interest and fall back to the familiar because the new isn't worth the effort anymore.

As for hot women...octogenarians don't date college coeds.  If they are as lucky as I am they still have an old lady they've been with the past 57 years.  The same goes for flight simulators.  

Noel

PS...I've had my iPhone for a year now and all I can still do with it is dial out and answer calls when it rings.  

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Very well said Noel.I'm there also. Nice to walk into a store , and get a senior citizen discount.I remember the days of IBM punch cards, dual reel mainframes.Walk into a bank, and have a passbook account processed with a Burroughs mechanical printer LOL!!! You are so correct about ones noggin. I am learning what i can with X plane, etc.The college of hard knocks has taught me well, and still learning.

Simplicity and joy from use are probably the reasons I liked so much MS FLIGHT and now War Thunder.

Both of the tittles required no other tweaking than simply using the default graphics settings screens and performed beautifully on my rig, the one I bought for MS FLIGHT in early 2012 and still use today.

Simple, effective, great joy playing 🙂

I can't say that P3D is really that complex to set in my rig, nor XP, from a graphics optimization perspective because I simply uncheck HDR and any shadows, and in XP I do not push AA to more than one step from full left, but I still don't get half the performance I get from War Thunder, and... I get less than 1/100 the joy ...

Everything changed, starting with me deciding that I shouldn't be spending a bunch of money in add-ons, hardware and so on with something that instead of joy constantly brought me stress, and that money could better be directed to RW flying. But, I couldn't simply get away from flightsimming ( because I don't get that often, or as much as I would like too, the chances to go flying irl ), so, a free 2 play sim, with very plausible flight dynamics, great graphics and lots of action was what I ended up finding.

I wish XP12 and / or FS2020 can play this smooth and simple to set, but I doubt... And, even worse, I can no longer get any joy from GA or even less HM flyight simulation 😕, and they will not be "free 2 play"...

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 10/15/2019 at 4:43 PM, birdguy said:

This morning I had planned a flight a nice flight from Queenstown to Christchurch but when I tried to bring up P3Dv4 I got a message telling me a file was missing. Noel

As I lie in my recliner awaiting a P.E.T. Scan,  it's difficult for me to understand how you have a missing file when starting up P3D. Of all my years using P3D and moderating these forums,  I have never heard of this error when running P3D w/o add-ons. Have you ever sought a fix here in the P3D Forum? What was the name of the file? It could not have been a P3D file. P3D is an upgraded FSX so running it is the same and you indicate you enjoy running FSX. P3D is also expensive (unless an Academic) so abandoning it does not make sense. I would be seeking help from fellow users until I got it working again to get the most out of my investment.

• Like 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10