Sign in to follow this  
CYXR

737-800 down; 176 killed

Sam systems can be set to fire automatically. Especially if there is an expectation of a missile attack. American patriot systems have downed several friendly aircraft in past conflicts in this manner.

There's also the question of whether the SAM battery was connected to the Integrated Air Defense System or whether it was operating independently.  If the latter, an undertrained or panicked crew could have fired on its own authority.

Some interesting technical background here.

43 minutes ago, Alan_A said:

There's also the question of whether the SAM battery was connected to the Integrated Air Defense System or whether it was operating independently.  If the latter, an undertrained or panicked crew could have fired on its own authority.

Some interesting technical background here.

At least one article, possibly from the CBC, mentions the flight left an hour late. If so, the military may not have been aware of the change in schedule, and thus not expecting the plane to be where it was.

Edited by goates
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, domkle said:

....only that IMHO the West characterizing it so fast as an accident is political....

On the contrary, I thought the West characterised it as a shoot-down so fast rather than an accident :cool:

Goates, that article was an interesting read, thank you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I wonder if they would have admitted it if there had been no evidence....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

52 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

no they wouldnt.  

Their foreign minister was calling the west all sorts of slurs yesterday on sky news.

14ppkc-6.png

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Probably not. Just like for the one shot over Ukraine and the one in Ustica too.

• Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I applaud them for admitting it. Although they look pretty bad for lying about it at first.

But I wonder how their propaganda press is going to spin this for their own people, considering that they were so determined to deny any involvement as "scientifically impossible".

After all most of the victims, to my understanding, were iranians themself. I would be pretty word not allowed if my Government would pull such a stunt.

Edited by Farlis

2 hours ago, Farlis said:

I applaud them for admitting it.

But why? They shot down an unrelated civil airliner. Admitting what they did is the least I would expect them to do. As someone mentioned above, perhaps there would have been no admission at all if there were no evidence. I would think they knew pretty soon after the crash that their military shot it down and yet they insisted right after it happened it was a technical issue which was suspicious from the first second to me because there's really not much of a chance to know that just hours after it happened.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

With so much evidence leaking out and the media publishing it, I guess the notion of it being a Boeing 737 and just blowing up in flight was not holding any water.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Here you can read the sad story of Mr. Shekiba Feghahati who lost his wife and his son in the shooting down of Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752. There are many other such stories and there are no words to begin to describe the profound grief of secondary victims. Death can`t be ultimately avoided but too many unnecessary deaths could have been, can and should be. Not because of losses incurred by civil liability insurers, or because they can bankrupt an airline or impact the stock value of a manufacturer but because the human costs are greater than all the money in the world. The deaths of Mr. Feghahati`s family was avoidable and it`s going to be very difficult to derive something good about this shootdown that could prevent it from happening again to keep passengers safer. These deaths were senseless. If it`s going to come down to flipping a switch while texting or whatever it was that those who shot down this aircraft were thinking about, none of us will ever be safe. Innocent civilians should not be in the death beds of impotent politicians and generals who resort to the use of weapons to make themselves feel alive. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/iran-plane-crash-victims-wife-son-shekiba-feghahati-1.5423832

Edited by CYXR
  • Upvote 2

What do you would happen if say The USA accidently shot down either a Ukrainian or Iranian 737?  The world would be upside down. 

As of yet I can't see a single country properly condemning Iran least of all Canada 

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Like 2

14ppkc-6.png