Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Do 4K users need NVIDIA 3080 ???

It was a very good reveal by Nvidia.

Honestly, MSFS is running pretty great for me right now at 1090p / 30fps on my good old GTX970.  Seeing how I only have a 650W PSU I'm thinking the 3070 is the card I want.  I'm fearly the 3080 will be too much for my 650W PSU & Ryzen 3700X.

I think I'll save the money for now and just get the 3070 while keeping my current PSU.  It will be more than enough to run MSFS at 1440p / 60fps, and I think that would be fine for me.

• Like 1

Well that was fast.  Didn't expect to start seeing benchmarks so soon.  Still sounds promising.

I'm currently on a 1070ti which is fighting a good fight pushing the MSFS pixels, but I might switch to one of these new cards early next year.

I'm still unsure about the VRAM implications, though. The 3070 would be a natural upgrade, but it also has only 8 GB of VRAM. Not sure if that will be a problem with MSFS further down the line. 

Looks like the 3090 requires two separate gpu 8 pin cables too. cant use a split one. Going to be a lot of PSU sales too from this! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RudyB24 said:

First benchmark results: 3080 is some 80% faster than 2080 at 4k.

If a 3080 performs out a 2080 by 80% ... what can we expect from a 3090? But more important, how will it handle our MSFS. We will probably run into a CPU bottleneck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

As a 2080ti owner who paid full price.  Not a happy camper

• Like 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

3 minutes ago, styckx said:

Sitting in the same boat. But mine is nearly two years old now and I try not to remember what the costs were.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

6 minutes ago, Nemo said:

If a 3080 performs out a 2080 by 80% ... what can we expect from a 3090? But more important, how will it handle our MSFS. We will probably run into a CPU bottleneck.

Yup, are all these improvements for ray tracing games only or? 

14 minutes ago, Nemo said:

dont forget its an 2080 not a ti version.

• Like 2

Yup standard 2080 and I think VSync was on and it was 4K so your performance numbers will shift depending on the game and the resolution.  As for the PSU I would double check a lot of more modern PSU's I have installed always had extra runs for PCIE cards that I never used in them so you may be ok on that front.  But if not yeah new PSU time sadly.

1 minute ago, pjs37 said:

Yup standard 2080 and I think VSync was on and it was 4K so your performance numbers will shift depending on the game and the resolution.  As for the PSU I would double check a lot of more modern PSU's I have installed always had extra runs for PCIE cards that I never used in them so you may be ok on that front.  But if not yeah new PSU time sadly.

I know my 750 watt Corsair only has space for one gpu cable that is split. I’d imagine a lot of people are in the same boat. 

19 minutes ago, styckx said:

13 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Sitting in the same boat. But mine is nearly two years old now and I try not to remember what the costs were.

There is always a premium associated with top-end hardware that is usually smashed with the next generation, Turing was an exception. GTX 780 Ti and GTX 980 Ti owners felt the same way with the GTX 970 and GTX 1070 respectively, and you can bet that RTX 3090 users will feel the same way especially if NVIDIA skip 7nm Ampere for 5nm Hopper, which means another double node shrink like Maxwell to Pascal.

21 minutes ago, Nemo said:

According to rumours, ~50% over the RTX 2080 Ti, up to 60% from AIB cards but also higher power consumption (maybe 400W TDP).

• Like 2