Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Do 4K users need NVIDIA 3080 ???

Well I'm going probably for the 3080, have now in a year time two for the price of one 2080TI 😉 Selling my old brand new RTX 2080...

Maybe going for the 20GB version later this year... Running 2K so it's more then enough I hope more interested in the extra VRAM

The PSU is already here local 850 watt 🙂

Edited by awf

André

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

My MB, an Asus TUF Mark1 X299 features PCIE 3.0 but the new 3000 Series is PCIE 4.0. Do I need a new MB too?

hi, as far as i know its not that much important for gaming right now, not my text but it describe the situation:

An upgrade to the new PCIe 4.0 standard would be justified in some synthetic benchmarks and special use cases such as video editing, CAD or 3D rendering. For die-hard gamers, however, the new standard still offers too few advantages to justify a changeover (which is currently still very expensive). Current games push the fewest graphics cards to the bandwidth limit, so that there is still some time left to rely on the new technology. Already in the near future, 4.0 could temporarily become the new standard and produce a number of new graphics cards that take advantage of and benefit from the increased bandwidth. However, PCIe 5.0 is expected to be in the starting blocks and roadmaps of many manufacturers as early as 2021, providing even more bandwidth.

I think we need to wait for some Benchmarks comparisons.

if someone has more information about it please tell us.

Edited by Nedo68
typo
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, charlie130 said:

What functions of the 30 series will MSFS 2020 utilise?

Mainly resolution.

The 3070 or 2080Ti for example is 50 percent faster in MSFS than my current GTX 1080... at 2K Rez... which is what I run presently.

But at 4K it would be almost 100 percent faster.

The above assumes you are not being CPU throttled.

So to maximise the potential of a GPU you need a top notch CPU and balance the SIM settings, as some are mainly GPU and some CPU dependent.

I reckon the 3070 will be the sweet spot for 2K as it only needs 2x 8 pin connectors at 225 watts (so I wouldn't need to factor in a new PSU), and is less than 500 quid at release.

But the icing on the cake for me will be G sync ! I think G sync is the best upgrade currently for any flightsim.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/microsoft_flight_simulator_(2020)_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html

Bear in mind the 3070 is thought to be equal to the 2080Ti. It only has 8 GB of VRAM but it is faster and works differently, and is thus thought to be 20 to 40 percent more effective, putting it on a par with 10GB VRAM in a RTX 20 series.

Edited by Gabe777

14 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

But the icing on the cake for me will be G sync ! I think G sync is the best upgrade currently for any flightsim.

Absolutely correct. This needs pushed more. Especially to the 1/2 refresh rate, 30 VSYNC etc etc crowd....

A modern day GPU (such as the 2080 series or now the 30 series) with G-sync = Brilliance.

Why are there 2 different CUDA core counts for the 3090? On NVIDIA's site it says 10k CUDA CORES and on ASUS's website it says 5248 CUDA cores?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Better performance with new RTX is connected to DLSS. Asobo not impemented DLSS to MSFS so im not sure if performace will be much more decreese.

• Like 1

I think the new 3080 or 3090 will be needed...2080TI can struggle too on 4K and Ultra settings. As soon as add-ons will come up, they will force us to reduce the settings from Ultra also...sadly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

3 hours ago, 737_800 said:

Couldn't that go the other way around? I don't know the reason for it, but the old 2080's increased in price either. So when Big Navi can not deliver, NV might increase their prices?

I don't remember them doing so at any point. When the RX 5000 series was released, NVIDIA created the Super line-up, better performance at the same prices. So even with the rather underwhelming Navi 1x line-up, NVIDIA did feel threatened by AMD's pricing. And now RDNA 2 is looking to be a much stronger contender.

2 hours ago, charlie130 said:

What functions of the 30 series will MSFS 2020 utilise?

None so far other than the increased rasterisation performance, but at some point the simulator will be upgraded to DirectX 12 Ultimate. DLSS is a possibility too, but all those things are just going to be faster on Ampere, and are already supported by Turing.

47 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Why are there 2 different CUDA core counts for the 3090? On NVIDIA's site it says 10k CUDA CORES and on ASUS's website it says 5248 CUDA cores?

5248 shaders with double the FP32 units compared to Turing, so 10496 CUDA cores. So overall shading performance is increased, but one Ampere CUDA core is weaker than one Turing CUDA core. Still, it's weird that AIB partners are not reporting the exact same specifications, like the process (though there was one instance of a fake 7nm process by Samsung that was mostly a rebranded 8LPP, and it was speculated that NVIDIA would call it 7nm as well for marketing reasons).

• Like 1

I want to see HP Reverb G2 benchmarks for the 3070/3080/3090.

Will the 3080 be capable of 90 fps with the G2? 

How much do the FS settings need to be dialled down to achieve 90 FPS? 🤔

• Upvote 2

Matthew S

For flightsimming RTX IO might actually be the most interesting thing Nvidia announced.

Instead of the CPU having to load textures and data from your harddrive/SSD into RAM and then send it to the GPU,

the GPU can instead load textures and data directly from your harddrive/SSD into VRAM and hopefully reducing the load on the CPU.

"Object pop-in and stutter can be reduced, and high-quality textures can be streamed at incredible rates, so even if you’re speeding through a world, everything runs and looks great."

Source: Nvidia

We won't see it until next year, though, when Microsoft implements DirectStorage in Windows.

• Like 2

Kay Morten Magelie no.png

14 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

If you are playing at 4K I would recommend going for the RTX 3080, it is not a bad value, and the RTX 3070 could perform worse than the RTX 2080 Ti at higher resolutions due to less memory bandwidth. If you can wait a couple of more months though, I would wait and see what Big Navi has to offer. Even if it's not the superior solution, it could lead to NVIDIA responding with price cuts (it will be too early for yet another Super refresh). They did it before with the GTX 680 and the GTX 780, the last time AMD were somewhat competitive.

I'm at 1080p at the moment, although I do have 3 monitors, I normally 'fly' with only one, but within the next year I'm planning on going 1440p or 4k but favouring the 4k option, before I get other big money items I need to work overtime at work to justify the cost, luckily it looks like my RR factory will be very busy next year as others are closing and work being moved to the site I work at. 

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

20 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Anyone know if pre-order is available on the 3090? I would like to order now...

No pre-orders for Founders Edition cards after all. If you want to order directly from NVIDIA, you'll have to do so after its release, and you'll want to be very quick as these will probably sell out very quickly if previous generations are any indication.

3 minutes ago, eaim said:

I'm at 1080p at the moment, although I do have 3 monitors, I normally 'fly' with only one, but within the next year I'm planning on going 1440p or 4k but favouring the 4k option, before I get other big money items I need to work overtime at work to justify the cost, luckily it looks like my RR factory will be very busy next year as others are closing and work being moved to the site I work at. 

If you stick with your 1080p monitor for now it might be somewhat easier to hold on to your GTX 1070 for a small while longer. Once all the options are out (and proper benchmarks of course) and you decide on a vendor, it should be easier to pick a monitor that is best supported by your card as well.

• Like 2