Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Do 4K users need NVIDIA 3080 ???

3 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

650€ the cheapest one on ebay, i would say not bad after running it for 2 years 😁

Amazon dropped the price of the 2080ti, $100. Lol keep going... 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

A9-AAC58-F-9-FA8-4176-AD34-4-B1532-DC315

Thanks! Interesting this explanation is missing from the "Specs" for the RTX3090.

This is getting expensive. I'll stay with what I already have.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

2 hours ago, Flyfaster said:

Building new PC and was waiting for this!  Anyone want to suggest which card to go with?

3070 for the best bang for the buck

3080, for less value but more bang

3090 if you are fully lost down the gpu upgrade rabbit hole and have lost any sense of perspective. 

I don’t think I’ll really know which of the 70 or 80 I’ll get until I buy it. I’d like to think it will be the 70, but wouldn’t bet on myself. 

• Like 5

Just now, Superdelphinus said:

3070 for the best bang for the buck

3080, for less value but more bang

3090 if you are fully lost down the gpu upgrade rabbit hole and have lost any sense of perspective. 

I don’t think I’ll really know which of the 70 or 80 I’ll get until I buy it. I’d like to think it will be the 70, but wouldn’t bet on myself. 

Leaning 3080. Looks like Alienware is already building them in to ship but can't seem to configure one yet on their site?

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

2 minutes ago, Flyfaster said:

Leaning 3080. Looks like Alienware is already building them in to ship but can't seem to configure one yet on their site?

Yeah I think I probably will too, it’s about the price I was expecting it to be. I’m interested to see how the 3rd party manufacturers handle pricing with these - they should be slightly cheaper than the founders edition if you take most history into account, but I think that got bucked with the 20xx series?

3 hours ago, eaim said:

I'm very pleased that I resisted the urge to upgrade my 1070 with any of the 20** series cards now, my only real dilemma now is whether to basically get an equivalent 2080TI GPU for £469 or pay another £180 and get the next level up card?

Have a look at benchmarks between 1070s and 1080s (on as recent benchmarks as possible) and see if the differences would annoy you. Far from an exact science but gives you an idea of what the trend might be through the cycle - early benchmarks are quite often a bit mental and unreliable. It’s similar with the 3070 being faster than the 2080ti thing - I’ll wait and see some objective benchmarks on a range of settings before believing that - they said the same about the 1070 v 980 ti and it wasn’t more often than not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superdelphinus said:

Have a look at benchmarks between 1070s and 1080s (on as recent benchmarks as possible) and see if the differences would annoy you. Far from an exact science but gives you an idea of what the trend might be through the cycle - early benchmarks are quite often a bit mental and unreliable. It’s similar with the 3070 being faster than the 2080ti thing - I’ll wait and see some objective benchmarks on a range of settings before believing that - they said the same about the 1070 v 980 ti and it wasn’t more often than not. 

hard to believe they would release that 3070 and allow it actually be slower than 2080ti...

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

5 hours ago, pjs37 said:

Shhhh shhhh they didn't mean that poor GTX 1070....No....I am not browsing the current prices for 1070's on eBay....why?

I picked up an eBay 1070 TI three months ago for barely over $300 American.  It is in my new system.  My GA flying in MSFS at 2560 X 1440 lacks absolutely nothing.  And I am still flying in FSX SE until legit aircraft and GPS models are available in MSFS, and my performance has me ROLFUMSH.  Tomorrow I plan to see what I get in MSFS with my profile of chosen flying in full 4K.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

What makes you think Alienware is configuring systems with the new cards? I waiting for the 3080 before I buy my next computer.

18 minutes ago, Flyfaster said:

hard to believe they would release that 3070 and allow it actually be slower than 2080ti...

The 2070 super is more or less equivalent to the 1080ti - especially once you game at 1440p or above. We'll see some objective game benchmarks soon enough to get a better picture. 

Game benchmarks that are currently out show around 75% increase in rasterization performance and about 90% increase in RTX when comparing 3080 to 2080. It's very early though and bigger test suites and comprehensive testing is needed, but it looks promising.

Shouldn't this thread be in hardware section somewhere?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mikegrr said:

What makes you think Alienware is configuring systems with the new cards? I waiting for the 3080 before I buy my next computer.

It's been posted on multiple sites that AW systems are going to be configured with the new cards and AW tweeted about it.

I have a R8 but I'm going to wait a month or two because Dell always has deals to upgrade. I saved $1500 on my 9900k, 2080 during a flash sale.

10 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Not so sure I’m ready to shell out $1,400.00 plus USD for a 3080 card and another couple hundred for a 1k watt PSU (with 12 pin power connector) if the sim is only going to use 40% of my GPU!

Especially since I Have a 2080 super now!

Given that the tentative price for the 3080 will be $700, that wouldn't be the case...

8 minutes ago, Mgard78 said:

Given that the tentative price for the 3080 will be $700, that wouldn't be the case...

Misprint Meant: 3090

Chris Camp