Sign in to follow this  
767lover

i need monitor recommendation, thanks

Can anyone please recommend me a good monitor setup for MSFS? I have an old i7 2600k with gtx960 that performs really well with MSFS, but need a better monitor, also with a future PC upgrade in mind.

I was thinking a 43 inch like the LG42BN70u might work, but I heard it is not that great for gaming. I am interested in the ultrawide monitors (eg LG ultragear 34 inch), but does that not stretch the image? How about dual monitors?

I do photo and video editing as well.

Thanks for any tips!!

• Like 1

I just picked up one of these. Makes MSFS look incredible. I never had a curved monitor before, and I do not notice the curve at all.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/618536/aoc-cu34g2x-34-uwqhd-(3440-x-1440)-144hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-ultrawide-curved-led-gaming-monitor

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

1 hour ago, 767lover said:

Can anyone please recommend me a good monitor setup for MSFS? I have an old i7 2600k with gtx960 that performs really well with MSFS, but need a better monitor, also with a future PC upgrade in mind.

I was thinking a 43 inch like the LG42BN70u might work, but I heard it is not that great for gaming. I am interested in the ultrawide monitors (eg LG ultragear 34 inch), but does that not stretch the image? How about dual monitors?

Thanks for any tips!!

If you have an I7 2600 and a gtx960 and using a 1080p HD monitor, then you will have to prepare yourself for a performance hit if jumping to a higher resolution such as 2K or 4K. If 4K, then that hit will be substantial IMO. Also remember, going for an ultrawide monitor actually sounds great but you will be losing substantial vertical viewing 'real estate.' I wouldn't even entertain dual monitors if sitting in a VC, as you will end up viewing the edge of each monitor directly in front of you! In a dedicated, hardware cockpit, such as a 737 that would be different. At this moment in time MSFS does not support three monitor setups, the only thing you can achieve is stretching the image across the three monitors, but as I say, that is different to a correctly assigned triple monitor setup.

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Personally I'd wait with that monitor upgrade until you also upgrade the PC. That little 960 is going to get crushed at higher resolutions, unless you turn settings way down. 

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

For about 6 years I’ve had a dell ultrasharp 34”. I’ve run it on my laptop with a 8 gig 1070 and currently my desktop 2080 8 gig. The monitor has been great and I enjoy the resolution approx 3400x14. I’d get another.

8 hours ago, 767lover said:

Thanks for any tips!!

I'm interested in suggestions also as I'm currently shopping around as well for a new monitor.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

The most important thing in my opinion is to invest in a genuine G-Sync monitor if you have an Nvidia card, ie no G-Sync compatible.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Just buy a good 4K TV. I use a 75" Sony, and I sit practically with my nose pressed against the screen. I run the sim in 4K but downscale the Render settings to 50, which provides a super clear 1920 x 1080 display, which the TV then upscales very well to 4K with little perceptible degradation in quality. A 4K TV is cheaper than a dedicated monitor, plus you can watch TV on it. I know that the refresh rates aren't as good on a TV and they are on a monitor. But you're not going to get 144FPS, etc., out of the sim anyway. 

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Tv = LG C1

Monitor = LG ultra gear (Model with g-sync hardware. Not the compatible one)

• Upvote 1

I bought a LG C1 yesterday. Can’t wait to get it. I have heard good stuff about it. 

• Like 1

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

1 minute ago, espent said:

I bought a LG C1 yesterday. Can’t wait to get it. I have heard good stuff about it. 

Makes sure to turn game mode on. And make sure to select HGIG mode in HDR settings, otherwise the image will look washed out. 
There is actually a few settings to go through, but there is a guide on reddit etc..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, espent said:

You're going to love it. The latest firmware updates should be loaded right away. Don't forget a fully HDMI 2.1 compatible cable. 

And some videos with handy info:

Comprehensive LG C1 HDR GAMING Picture and Audio Settings! (2021) - YouTube

LG 2021 OLED TV (C1, G1) Picture Settings Explained - Big Changes! - YouTube

Edited by DylanM
  • Like 1

I have a 34" 3440x1440 monitor, and I just wish it was even wider. 😄

Dual monitors are great, but only if you use one of them for flight sim and the other for charts, maps and such. Otherwise you'll get the bezel right through the middle. 

The image does not get stretched. 

Your hardware is somewhat limited, but it's not really a big deal because you can set resolution scaling in the settings, and the sim will be easier to to run. So you'll be able to enjoy your new monitor before doing the rest of the hardware upgrade.

For photo editing I would recommend an IPS monitor, but later years VA models have a good balance between accurate colors and fast response time for gaming.

Edited by Republic3D

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

2 hours ago, espent said:

Also I found this information highly valuable for the best experience. It was night and day with mine.

LG 48 C1   Calibration file:      https://www.mediafire.com/file/o4vopp1o49belnh/rttings-icc-profile.icm/file

Info                                           https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/48-c1-oled

• Like 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /