Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Flightsim.to no access unless ad blocker disabled

Featured Replies

I guess it had to happen sooner or later. When I went to access Flightsim.to this morning, I got the message that I could no longer access the site unless I turned off my ad blocker. The problem is, I don't use an ad blocker, I use Malwarebytes Browser Guard. And Browser Guard doesn't block ads per se, it blocks, "malware, scams, phishing and trackers". I take this to mean that Flightsim.to doesn't want to merely display adds, it also wants to install tracking cookies in my pc to monitor my browsing habits. And that I draw the line at. I also very much dislike financial blackmail, which I take this to be. If they want to run a voluntary donation drive, then I would be more than happy to contribute.

So, I would kindly request all those talented people who freely upload their addons and products to Flightsim.to to also use the new guaranteed forever free site Hangar Addons at https://hangaraddons.com/ I won't be visiting Flightsim.to any longer.

Sorry for the rant everyone, and maybe it's something we all should get used to and just bow our heads, but as said this kind of thing makes my blood boil.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • charliearon
    charliearon

    I just went to the site and I use Adblocker+ with no problems.

  • vbazillio
    vbazillio

    Obviously, you know nothing of me ;) For the record: I'm a real amateur developer capable only to do freeware (very few LoD in my sceneries, not much complex airport and very few complex object/textur

  • kerosene31
    kerosene31

    Having more than one site is great, but ultimately it becomes an endless loop. Site A starts up doing something well, gets bigger and bigger, monetizes more, Site B pops up offering to do it better,

Posted Images

A few people here recommended uBlock Origin light for Chrome. I've been using it for awhile now and have not had a single problem (and fs dot to works just fine too).

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

  • Administrators

I just went to the site and I use Adblocker+ with no problems.

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-ADMIN/Moderator-Registrar

Just going to run a Chromebook and not upgrade to a Windows computer. Too many problems with the new Sims! 😱
Trying to keep peace and harmony and the will of Landru on the site seems to be a full time job!

                          images (1) (1).jpeg

Ditto. Every once in a while they flash up 'Make you feel guilty' message. "Continue without supporting us". I reckon I've supported them quite enough.

The World is divided into two groups. Those who say "Give me a link" and those that provide the link. WWG1WGA

Your using the wrong blocker, as mentioned above use ABP (AdBlock Plus) and uBlock both enabled.

If you go to a other sites and something seems strange and won't load its more then likely because of uBlock just have the icon enabled in the toolbar and you can enable/disable it quickly and reload that page.

I have used this combo for years with out any issues, it works perfectly on fsto.

Edited by eagle FMJ

  • Author

Thanks for the suggestions. I cleared all cookies associated with FSto, then added UBlock Origins Lite, and turned off Browser Guard, and that allowed me to get back in to FSto without problem and pop ups. I then turned Browser Guard back on, and now no problems (I like Malwarebytes and their Browser Guard) .

But I still have a sour taste in my mouth about this, and I stand by what I said before:

I would kindly request all those talented people who freely upload their addons and products to Flightsim.to to also use the new guaranteed forever free site Hangar Addons at https://hangaraddons.com/

Lest we forget, it can be dangerous to have all the flightsim addons in one basket, as we saw with the AVsim Library disaster of a decade ago.

Thanks all.

I'll chime in here. I use AdBlock Plus. On Flightsim TO I got tired of repeatedly answer the "no support" prompt. I reluctantly switched Adblock Plus off for the site and refreshed. That was over two weeks ago. With AB+ off I have not seen one popup add since.

The ads I do see (image below) are few and are located within the matrix of addons available to download. In the world of obnoxious popups, I consider this unabusive.

I do not pay TO subscription fees, so this as it is presently seems fair to allow them a source of revenue. I have literally hundreds of freeware addon airports, mostly GA airports that will not be rendered by payware developers. This to me is a small price to pay for all of those, plus other addons such as liveries, sim tools and mods, etc.

image.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
Corsair 5000D Airflow Case; MSI B650 Tomahawk MOB; Ryzen 7 7800 X3D CPU; ASUS RTX 4080 Super; 
NZXT 360mm liquid cooler; Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR5 4800 MHz RAM; RMX850X Gold PSU;; ASUS VG289 4K 27" Display; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126
                       
"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Having more than one site is great, but ultimately it becomes an endless loop. Site A starts up doing something well, gets bigger and bigger, monetizes more, Site B pops up offering to do it better, gets bigger, etc. It happens all over IT.

There's actually a term for it I probably can't type, but something like en-poop-ification. It isn't just a joke, but an actual problem where as things get bigger they tend to get worse for consumers.

Again, not preaching against an alternate site. I registered there and will check it out. I'm just saying, the cycle will keep going. One site will "win", get worse, etc.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

As others have said, I get the occasional "Please disable your Popup blocker" message, but it let's me click on the emotionally-charged "Continue without supporting us" message. 😊

Any site that is asking people to turn off their ad blocker, has the wrong revenue strategy.

I've paid for 6 or 7 one month subs on FS.TO. But no, I won't disable my ad-blocker and drag my experience down into the internet gutter, thank you.

Bill 😎
FS2024 • Currently enjoying : ISW Evektor EV-97, A2A Comanche 2024 & Aerostar • Black Square Commander 114, Bonanzas, Barons, C208, TBM850, Dukes • COWS DA40 & DA42 • FSW Legacy, C24R Sierra & C414 • Echo Falco F8L • Got Friends A32 Vixxen • FSReborn Sirius TL3000 • Flying Fries Gabriel 160TR • Flyboy Rans S6S • Skyward DA50RG • SWS Zenith CH701, RV-8, RV-10, RV-14 • Bagolu C172M & ICP Savannah Currently flying IRL: Evektor EV-97 EuroStar, Pipersport SportCruiser, Aeroprakt A32 Vixxen, Bristell Classic, TL Sirius TL-3000, Rans S6LS
TrackIR • BeyondATC • PMS GTN Payware • RealTurb • Axis & Ohs
9800X3D • RTX 3080 • 64GB DDR5-6000
Former PPL IR, grounded by diabetes. Now UK NPPL(M)

Firefox with uBlock Origin and no issues. And start supporting...

https://hangaraddons.com/

Edited by udidwht

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.7184 IntelCorei7-3770K GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3 32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24 AsusRTX2070OC8GB 1TBCrucialMX500SSD 2 TB PNY CS900 (x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs LGBlueRayBurner RosewillChallengerTowerBlack CorsairRM750wPSU X56HOTAS TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo TrackIR5Pro 34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p TM2xMFDCougar OculusQuest2 InateckKU5211PCIe3.2 LTERIVERPCIeG2S4 TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US Windows 11 Home 26H2 26300.9550 - i7 14700F MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II RTX 5060ti OC 16GB 32GB DDR5 5600mhz 2TB MSI nVME 4TB Crucial nVME 4TB SPCC SATA SSD P-3 4TB SSD  650w Gold PSU Monitor LG 2560x1080p 34in

4 hours ago, kerosene31 said:

There's actually a term for it I probably can't type, but something like en-poop-ification. It isn't just a joke, but an actual problem where as things get bigger they tend to get worse for consumers.

I don't even think this is a result of the word you alluded to, since the change isn't deliberate... Bandwidth and storage isn't free, and what was once somebody's hobby ends up becoming a full-time job. The site admins get more desperate to not only get the site to pay for itself but also to make money to reimburse their own time spent maintaining the site. It's also likely they spent a good chunk of their own money creating and maintaining the site before it was popular enough to survive off ad revenue alone.

When the company behind the product goes public (or is trying to go public) and has shareholders to bribe... that is when things really go down the toilet, as the goal becomes extracting as much profit out of the product as possible. FS.to doesn't seem to be resorting to full greed mode, but only the site admins know the financial situation they're in.

Competition is good though, and I hope hangar addons can keep up once their site becomes popular and hosting costs start going through the roof.

Logged in with no problem. Using uBlock origin lite.

13 hours ago, BBCM said:

I guess it had to happen sooner or later. When I went to access Flightsim.to this morning, I got the message that I could no longer access the site unless I turned off my ad blocker. The problem is, I don't use an ad blocker, I use Malwarebytes Browser Guard. And Browser Guard doesn't block ads per se, it blocks, "malware, scams, phishing and trackers". I take this to mean that Flightsim.to doesn't want to merely display adds, it also wants to install tracking cookies in my pc to monitor my browsing habits. And that I draw the line at. I also very much dislike financial blackmail, which I take this to be. If they want to run a voluntary donation drive, then I would be more than happy to contribute.

So, I would kindly request all those talented people who freely upload their addons and products to Flightsim.to to also use the new guaranteed forever free site Hangar Addons at https://hangaraddons.com/ I won't be visiting Flightsim.to any longer.

Sorry for the rant everyone, and maybe it's something we all should get used to and just bow our heads, but as said this kind of thing makes my blood boil.

no issues at my end and i use malware as well and it turned on as well

I7-8700k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

 

Peter kelberg

Just adding my two-cents to the discussion as a (real) amateur developer with 30+ freeware hosted on flightsim.to representing something like 500k downloads globally. I'm lucky to have the Creator status on flightsim.to from the early beginning. Among more than a hundred. As far as I understand the Creator program has some strong requirements, not easy to achieve or get these days. So, I'm fortunate to have a free Premium access, store coupons, discount on the product store and a monthly reward pool (few bucks based on my activity and contributions). It's a small part of the reason, for now, I'm staying with them.

Edited by vbazillio

Vincent B.
Check my free MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio/trending and my hardware configuration.

I seem to be ok on dot To and I'm using Adblock plus 4.44.0

I like the sound of the other addons site though

Edited by Max Kraus

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB 3600MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.