Sign in to follow this  
stephenbgs

Regretful purchases for FSX

Hello

This has been a very informative thread, long may it continue.

Looks like a lot of us have all made the same mistakes as some developers keep appearing on every ones list.

There is also a thread running where folk can give their three top aircraft addons, no surprises that PMDG and Realair figure prominently there.

If I were entering the hobby today these two threads would be massively useful and a great way to avoid wasting money

Whenever I buy anything I research the available options, customer feedback, reviews etc. What I don't do is take "A's" opinion that product X is total rubbish any more seriously than "B's" opinion that it's "awsome". When the A's outweigh the B's it ought to ring alarm bells? ...but it still might be a specific problem.

and I should have added to that ....or a matter of taste or specific interest?

This therad isn't about who's right and who's wrong.

Stephen stated clearly at the start where he was coming from and sadly as is often the case that seems not to have been read by later posters?

Geoff

• Upvote 1

Geoff Brown

I have to applaud to the (still) civil tone. As mentioned in a previous post, it looked like an interesting (though touchy) experiment for sure. Yes, I can find the usual rants, the no explanation dislikes or the 'I have to warn the world' approaches. But there's more.

On my concerns expressed, blunt expressions aren't a sign of noble honesty, as much as the users would like to play that card. They are a sign of the inability to appropriately communicate.

Of course, it never was or is forbidden to express why an addon you've paid money for didn't really impress or made you regret the purchase. I think that quite some folks did very good and formed up interesting reads on their views, while not stepping down to rant levels. A role-model. By this, those indeed are a win. :smile: Way to go!

On my concerns expressed, blunt expressions aren't a sign of noble honesty, as much as the users would like to play that card. They are a sign of the inability to appropriately communicate.

Mocking someone’s system on the other hand is noble in your opinion? see below

if you get CTDs on your system, even a sad one. Ventilating frustration?

That was a low blow and was genuinely surprised by it

Stephen stated clearly at the start where he was coming from and sadly as is often the case that seems not to have been read by later posters?

Geoff

Thanks Geoff +1

Can we please get back on topic.

Thanks eveyone

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Sorry if you feel that way, Stephen.

I couldn't find anything offensive in your statement about CTDs. In fact, I did recall how frustrating those can be. Hence my 'ventilating frustration?' question. Looks still valid (and open) to me.

I don't have any really serious regrets, although windows 8 is providing 8 crashes to desktop per hour at the moment. See posts in the CTD section.

But why am I telling you this? I am really excited about REX Latitude. Since taking up real flying, I have been shocked by how much FSX is unlike the real world, and it IS! all about consequences.

I'd love to get into Latitude, but while I am experiencing 8 crashes of FSX per hour, I will hold off. However, I am very interested to hear of others' opinions of Latitude, while I await an answer to my win 8 instability.

Cheers

Fognozzle

Yes, I can find the usual rants, the no explanation dislikes or the 'I have to warn the world' approaches

Ok but:

a:]The "usual rants" is subjective.If somebody likes what you say then he will not consider it a" rant".If he does not then he will consider it a rant ,whatever.Isn't the reaction above to what you have said an example ?

b] the "no explanation dislikes". This is a thread about regretted purchases.You don't have to explain why if you don't want to. Quote " Again there is no wrong answers here, there all based on our own opinions which we are all entitled " (Op). And besides even if I were to explain why I didn't like an X product I would be considered a "detractor" by some, the explanation crap and then the usual battle

fans/brownnosers/detractors/naysayers begins again.

c] " I have to warn the world approach". I think these approaches are important (to a point ) as well.You may see these as "market noise" but they do help. The "market" is made of all kind of approaches.If someone was to come here and ask for guidance...and enough/different "warnings" were ignored then he'd only have himself to blame if the product is not good enough

d]"blunt expressions aren't a sign of noble honesty, as much as the users would like to play that card. They are a sign of the inability to appropriately communicate."

You maybe right , partially right. if I were you I would said " I think they are a sign of the inability to appropriately communicate" because this is after all just an opinion ?

I don't think it is always the case.

/rant off

Thanks for ranting. ^_^

I may add that I (still) don't question what people say, but how they say it. That's from the very first post. Seems like that tenor gets lost and, for whatever reason, replaced by a different meaning I never intended.

To be honest (never blunt), I would have loved if you would have elaborated on your actual regret as much as you've just did over.. my concerns. :mellow: Disproportional efforts.

Besides. Don't focus on the bad things (people which seem to question you), focus on the good ones. That's what I did with posting.

I think that quite some folks did very good and formed up interesting reads on their views, while not stepping down to rant levels. A role-model. By this, those indeed are a win. Way to go!

You've read that, didn't you? :smile:

Guest Raul_Hernandez

The only purchase I regret is Wilco CRJ Next Gen because it has such serious bugs, that you cannot even fly it under the AP (or I cannot any way, perhaps others can).

Imangine Sims Atlanta and NMG's Johannesburg and Cape Town. A few months after purchasing the products, the developers release newer versions but do not offer an upgrade. What a ripoff!

I am in 100% agreement with this statement, re: Imagine's Atlanta (KATL). Compare that poor customer treatment to the wonderful policies at REX, where registered users have been treated to updates via REX Essential and now REX Essential Plus. Future Imagine products are off my list automatically.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Ranting about people ranting sounds like a rant and makes no sense to me. Great topic! Very informative but didn't learn anything I didn't already know since I've been around a while. Thanks to topics like this and Avsim in general I never had to buy an A***** product.

Wilco Airbus Series is the reason I'll never ever buy anything from Wilco never ever again. Never. Ever.

Exactly my words

PMDG J-41. Just not my kind of thing.

Aerosoft Airbus X. Too many problems with it. I do look forward to their new bus if ever finished.

PMDG 747-8. Worked okay but expensive for an exterior.

I have several aircraft I would not purchase - but for most of them I managed to pick them up at a discount.

The PMDJ 41 - LOVE this aircraft. Do not understand why people hate it - what a little beauty.

PMDG 738 - THE BEST no question

CS 727 - yeah high on frame rates but still enjoy it

CS 767 - now settled down and is actually quite a reasonable add on.

CS 737 200 - pretty good

A2A B377 - FANTASTIC

JS Viscount - disappointed, but picked it up at a half price sell so only half upset.

IRIS - external models just don't do it for me but them for $5 on sale so cannot really complain

Orbx - YMML - framerate killer still but love the quality.

Orbx SI and NI - not up to expectation standards but still very good and miles better than default

Wilco E Jets - picked up at half price, but wouldn't be acceptable by today's standards. VC is crap but FMC software good

Carenado - 337 is tops but the Seneca is very bland and boring

CLS - reasonable exteriors for their time, but dated now and VC rubbish, as is flight model - price seems high for what you get.