Sign in to follow this  
GrantWolf

Heavy Aircraft of Choice: PMDG 777 or 747?

777 and md11 :D 

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

I am a dedicated long hauler and Boeing fan.

After many years flying my beloved B744, I have now converted to the wonderful B777.

I almost feel ashamed to say that my days of flying the B744 are now probably over, although I may be sorely tempted by a B747-8i.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Currently I'm flying MD-11 and T7, will wait for the 747v2

23.png

Hi,

My two cents as well. No matter which one you choose (747,MD-11 or 777) they are all amazing birds. I have to say though that now that I have the T7, my MD-11 and 747 has been in the shelter...:) but im definitely going to fly the 747 this weekend for a long time:)

The good thing in the T7 is the automated "fast forward" option:) as im bit like you, I do not want to sit in front of my pc for 14 hours just cruising, the T7 new feature suits me. I can leave the plane cruising and it will wait me at the top of decent, when Im ready to do that. It also does step climbs automatically if you like.

Waiting anxiously the 747 v2 as the originaö 747 needs some "face lift" after flying with the T7:)

Cheers

Thomas

Honestly- The 747, I skipping the PMDG 777 and waiting for 747v2 to come out

Pretty much what i've done. I only want one long hauler and i prefer the 747.

I love both planes, but MD11 will allways have a special place in my hangar. I like too many things about this plane,  the way PMDG has simulated systems and flight dynamics. It's almost perfect in my opinion.

It could be the best choice for you, becouse it's not so heavy on the resources. It's probably the only complex aircraft i own for fsx that can be flown to big airports with all addons and even with AI traffic on, with almost no impact on fps. The best performance comparing with any other complex airliner

While I like the 747 in real life better than the 777, if you are trying to chose between the 747-400X and 777-200LR from PMDG, I would strongly recommend the 777 (I don't have the MD11 for basis of comparison).

I flew the 747-400X for many hours when it first came out and was the standard that I set other sims to.  It was awesome and amazing to me what could be done in FSX!  I built a new systems when the 737NGX came out and then installed the 777 last year when it came out.  I hadn’t gotten around to installing the 747 on the ‘new’ system since I really enjoyed the 737 and 777 sims.

Two weeks ago, I got some time in British Airway’s full motion flight sims - both 747 and 777.  Wanting to re-familiarize myself with the 747 cockpit, I installed the PMDG software on my new system.  

I had a rude awakening to how far PMDG has advanced the state of FSX.  To me, the 747-400X was actually disappointing.  Of course, compared to the built in 747-400, it’s light years better.  But compared to the PMDG 777, the quality of graphics, extent of the systems being modeled, and I think even the sounds are all lacking on the 747-400X.  And it seemed like with my system config, 747 had worse frame rates.  I enthusiastically look forward to the refreshed 747-400 (or even 747-800) from PMDG - I’ve got my credit card ready!

On a side note: if you folks aren’t aware, the British Airways Flight Training ‘flight sim experiences’ in London (EGLL) are absolutely incredible.  It’s not “cheap", but they’ve got a full range of full motion sims from Boeing (737, 747, 757, 767, 777) open to the public.  Your PC or laptop running FSX will probably have better graphics looking out the windscreen, but when it comes to feeling the plane and hand flying circuits or experiencing things like feeling the rudder pedals move when the 777 automatically puts rudder trim in due to engine failure at least to me made the price totally worth it.  I am not affiliated with the company, just a fan and would full heartedly recommend any serious flight simmer to get some time in the box (full motion flight sim).

Rusty Papsdorf

T7 is newer and have better quality, so it's better. But I prefer 747 all day in a week. T7 is too automated so I'm looking forward to a bug free 748v2

I will have to seriously ask myself if I really will get 747v2.  I got lots of enjoyment out of v1.  I guess it will ultimately depend on how much it costs.  Performance wise, the 777 can operate out of smaller runways and fly farther.  Since I use my T7 as a 'go anywhere' BBJ, buying the 747v2 will almost seem redundant.  The MD-11 is awesome, and is needed in the inventory simply for the fun of flying a long hauler that isn't a Boeing.  

I do really like the 747 as a real plane tho.  She will always have place in my heart as she safely carried me across the Pacific and Atlantic numerous times.  My first transoceanic trip was in a JAL 747-300 on the upper deck which made it even more special.

If the Freighter is included with the initial release, I probably will get it.  If the freighter is going to be a 747v2 exp pack, i'll have to think about it.

DC-6 will be a definite buy tho...can't wait to have four virtual R-2800s connected my throttle quad.

Cheers

TJ

For me 747v2

+1. 777 is great, no doubt. But the looks of the 747 is so much better. Can't wait for V2

Eric 

Will be 744v2 + 8i/f for me. I think the 777 is excellent but the 747v2 is my only anticipated aircraft.

I chose the 747 assuming you meant v2. Like some of the others I am bypassing the T7 waiting on the 747v2 and the DC-6

I have both the 737 and the 747. I looove the 747 irl, but the 737 being my first taste of PMDG-level sim addon, i couldnt really get used to the clunkiness of the UI of the 747 (on the 737, weights, fuel and all can be done from the CDU). So i left that in my hangar and started flying the 737 again, but looking on the bright side, now i get a chance to learn this little lady and all her quirkks and secrets! Between the 777 and the 747 though, I can't really make up my mind. I think I might get around 500 in the 777 then get the 747v2, and/or NLS' A380 if it's out by then :P Waiting on the 777-200ER is gonna take a while though  :lazy:  

Yep same for me. I was very tempted to buy the 777 but i'm holding out for the 747v2.

Same for me too - 747-400 is still my favourite widebody aircraft, so waiting patiently for V2 to come out and just flying my 737-800NGX around for now (and loving it).

Just last week I was actually in CAE's Virgin Oz 777 sim in Sydney flying around and landing etc (777 so stable and easy to fly with heaps of grunt, and gentle to land!), but still not swayed...747 all the way!