Sign in to follow this  
Hirdy2013

What's really going on with the FSX vs P3D Debates

Trying hard how to word this.  I also believe that this may belong in the P3D forums as well........

I've been thinking long and hard about making the switch over to P3D and before all of you sit there and think "oh not another post about someone wanting to make the switch", hear me out.

I'm trying really hard to gather up the research to assist with decision making however what I'm finding (and feel free to comment) is that with every topic discussing the good vs bad, the FSX vs P3D etc etc is that for every agree there's a disagree, for every like, there's a dislike........

In my opinion the community is split 50/50 on this.

This post is not so much designed to look for an answer for me personally, it's more designed to find out what the community is really thinking of FSX and P3D.

Feel free to contribute.........

Hirdy

Ty it for yourself...  If I had carried on using the opinions on this forum to make a decision I would still be flying FS9! 

Rob Prest

Why do you have to choose? HAve both.

Thats what I got.. most of add on scenery installed for FSX works in P3D. Just copy paste from the FSX scenery.cfg over to the P3D V2 scenery file.

Mostly I am flying P3D since it loads so much faster than FSX.  But I get the the 777 withdrawal issue so I go back to FSX..My FSX is solid and stable. But the P3D v2 visibility  is amazing, layers of mountains and how each mountain range comes across in terms of haze is so realistic ...I love the P3D.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Frankly I don't tend to make decisions about what I like based on what others like.  Do your research, make your decision, and have fun with it. The route you choose will not have an effect on what I fly. Just don't come back later and tell me I should switch to "Brand X" :lol:

Wise words.  No one ever has to stick to just one sim.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

As nice as it looks I haven't jumped in yet for the following reasons.

1. I've been using FSX since April '08, mainly flying tubes (PMDG, LDS), have all my addons and AI tweaked the way I want and never had any of the problems you read about like OOM's, CTD's, poor frames, blurries, etc. So for me why switch?

2. The main aircraft I fly aren't available for FSX yet (PMDG)

3. While I appreciate that P3D is a work in progress, I don't really feel like participating in the ongoing update/patch process and setting up a new sim to where my FSX is now.

Having said that, once P3D is in a more or less in a finalized state, and PMDG has their aircraft available hopefully at a reasonable pride, I will more than likely buy into P3D. Until then its just not worth it for me at this point.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

FSX since 2008 and gone from crashes and reinstalls to overclocked system with all the addons and 777 PMDG. Been playing around with P3D and its awesome graphics etc. that its not going to be now im going to drop FSX. P3D is clean a quick and stable. But two options now are better than one.

FSX and P3D have both if you can do it...I think the developers owe it to paid subscribers to do the hard yards and not let the consumers iron out the problems for them....

Thats what I got.. most of add on scenery installed for FSX works in P3D. Just copy paste from the FSX scenery.cfg over to the P3D V2 scenery file.

Mostly I am flying P3D since it loads so much faster than FSX.  But I get the the 777 withdrawal issue so I go back to FSX..My FSX is solid and stable. But the P3D v2 visibility  is amazing, layers of mountains and how each mountain range comes across in terms of haze is so realistic ...I love the P3D.

Agreed they all share common ancestral links...

No one has to stick to one sim ... however I understand if someone would like to stick just to one sim ... like me.

Reason is simple: you just have to care just for one installation and settings. You have the sim probably on a SSD and the second (or third sim) doesn't have enough place there with all addons.

I have done a lot of research for myself since P3D v2 was released last year.

First, it was clear I do not make the switch, even v2.1 wasn't the breakthrough. But now with v2.2 was the final decision to switch over (I have, however, a naked FSX for beta-testing purposes)

The reason for the final switch:

I was not able to enjoy FSX any more simply due to the stuttering it has, even the naked one. And believe me, I tweaked my FSX a lot over the years, run also DX10 with Steve's tool, but in the end, once you are used to P3D fluidity in general, you do not want to go back.

That doesn't mean, P3D wouldn't be stuttering at all, especially with demanding addons in cities. But compared to FSX a lot, lot better. With better performance overall.

Further advantages for P3D are the shadow system (especially cloud shadows - I'm stuck in flying around noon for weeks, just to see the shadows). And I like the coloring with HDR a lot.

Disadvantages:

AntiAliasing is currently not as good as with FSX - or the performance will drop down a lot on my system. But it is acceptable for me.

Most Aerosoft Airports do have problems with runway lights.

PMDG stuff is not working ... and no timeframe if it will this year and what we have to pay  :unsure:

(I was a big PMDG fan, but P3D has so much advantages for me, that I decided to live without PMDG for several months - it's possible  ^_^ )

There's a 60 days refund policy for P3D, so absolutely no risk.

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

once you are used to P3D fluidity in general, you do not want to go back.

That's one reason I haven't made the switch yet.  Most of my aircraft haven't been ported so I'd be flying some other aircraft.  I'm waiting for now...and it may be a long wait to switch.  In the mean time, more native installers keep getting made making the future switch easier.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Just go for both, they still both have a place and for the most part you won't have to replace every add-on you have.

I have P3D 2.2, FSX and XPX - there is no reason not to if you have the money and the passion for all things flight.

I am another who considered the switch to P3D but I have stuck so far with FSX. This is mainly because P3D is still a relatively new simulator which is yet to be supported by addon makers. I have also run the academic version and I just don't see the difference personally; not without a really top-end spec computer to run the new stuff well anyway. Each to their own though, some find certain things acceptable whereas some don't. I for one prefer high performance over any new fancy shadowing or similar so FSX is my choice of sim for now.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

it's more designed to find out what the community is really thinking of FSX and P3D.

FSX is Entertainment software and P3D is not.

FSX is Entertainment software and P3D is not.

I am currently enroute between ENVA and EKRN and P3D is entertaining me very well JIM

Whats even worse is that I am doing it in one of the entertainment payware aircraft that LM thoughtfully included for us