Sign in to follow this  
FINXPAS

Lockheed Martin VS Dovetail Games ?

Public beta testing?

Seems about right....They also developed a good relationship with some of the FSX third party developers as well, just go on their website you can see the pop up banners.

I would love to see what their sales team has installed on their laptops. Probably an internal copy of P3D with internally developed models of their products, I bet they have some really cool stuff we never get to see

Matthew Kane

Flying an entertainment grade airplane in P3D isn't "Serious Professional Simulator" just because the P3D lic. says that it is a bigboy really really serious flight simulator.  Likewise, assuming you could run the exact same high quality add on content, I can't see how FSX-Steam automatically means clowning around the sky, the way n4gix put it.  You can clown around the sky in all of them.

OMG, I can't believe that anyone could have interpreted my post as anything other than being ironically facetious! :LMAO:

I am using P3Dv2 precisely as intended though, as I'm practicing up for my L049 endorsement, and not having any fun at all while doing so! :Liar:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Why they do offer an Academic Licence to the public is beyond me, I can only think they have a few people that got started with MSFS and built a career in Aviation at LM from that, and felt it was a good thing to have it public to support a next generation of Aviation Enthusiasts......just what me thinks is all

But I wouldn't be surprised if one day they pull the plug on selling that Academic Licence to the public.

They have said the education version is aimed at supporting STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) initiatives in K-12 and undergrad programs.

http://www.prepar3d.com/case-studies/national-flight-academy/

They have said the education version is aimed at supporting STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) initiatives in K-12 and undergrad programs.

http://www.prepar3d.com/case-studies/national-flight-academy/

Yes of course however they are also well aware that people beyond that are using that licence, just have to check these forums to see that. People on this forum using P3D for the most part do not fit the 'Academic Licence' criteria.

All that LM would have to do is have an application process and approval for your organization to use the Academic Licence and that would change things very much.

Matthew Kane

What utter rubbish, I'm sorry to say. Of course we fit the Academic criteria. I'm sure, that most of us here, are learning every time we fly. We regard it as a simulator &, for the most of us, practice over & over. For entertainment, we play games.

An application process? We are supposedly mature adults & surley do not need policing when we make our informed decisions on what our requirements are.

Gee whiz, men in black, knocking on our door, checking if we are actually learning with our $50 dollar purchase!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Lockheed Martin should have bought out Austin & XP, merged with Dovetail, and recalled ACES then released XPD15 in January...

Peace, harmony, and unification among us simmers; imagine that...Seasons Greetings to all without the academic stamp required :P

RE Thomason Jr.

Here we go again :rolleyes:

I'm not going to continue this discussion further, but the "fact" that the Academic licence is for anyone with learning purposes is an utter lie, and had to be corrected.

I will say though, you really should keep your licence option private between you and Lockheed Martin, especially if you've purchased the wrong licence in order to save money.

How about a 72 year-old high school dropout who's still working on his GED? Academic?

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Hi all.  I have been using Dovetail's Train Simulator for a few years now.  

Based off the updates and innovation in that platform over the years, and the quality of the add on content they have released I find it highly unlikely that they will bring anything even comparable to what LM has done with P3D so far. And 64 bit I find seriously implausible.

- Nick

Like flight sim videos? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488157-flight-sim-video-survey/#entry3416965

Like fighter jets/planes? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488215-what-fighter-jetsplanes-do-you-enjoy-watching-in-fs-videos/#entry3417428

Hi all.  I have been using Dovetail's Train Simulator for a few years now.  

Based off the updates and innovation in that platform over the years, and the quality of the add on content they have released I find it highly unlikely that they will bring anything even comparable to what LM has done with P3D so far. And 64 bit I find seriously implausible.

Well said, and spot on.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

How about a 72 year-old high school dropout who's still working on his GED? Academic?

If they are still an undergraduate, then yes. Lockheed Martin have specifically said (also mentioned in the link I posted above) that the Academic licence is offered as a discount for students.

What utter rubbish, I'm sorry to say.

Not rubbish at all....Just go through the Licence Agreement chances are you do not qualify. But consider it a legal loophole on their part as all they are doing is the terms of their licence agreement with MS, and not really enforcing it. Therefore you get away with it.

If it comes down to it they may be required to enforce it in the future for quite a number of reasons. 

(I am not an armchair lawyer but it doesn't take rocket appliances to figure it out)  :lol:

Matthew Kane