Sign in to follow this  
Paul_

Prepar3d V3 Release date Wednesday 30th September

I'm happily back on my FS9 machine and will be for several months to come, while excitedly watching V3.0 unfold.  I'll also happily fly our company jets at work.  Looking back at my student pilot days when FS9 was a new thing, I have to somewhat admire and appreciate the longivity of the tree of FS life, which bares a few delicious fruits every so often too!

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

I saw that the academic license doesn't apply to graduate students which is a shame.

$200 may be a gamebreaker, unfortunately. I'll have to see v3 in action these next few weeks,

$200 for 90% bug fixes seems a bit steep.  

https://youtu.be/67RX0lb13_w

Speedtree Sample in Unreal engine...

I used Speed Trees in a railroad sim, and it definitely impacted FPS. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I used Speed Trees in a railroad sim, and it definitely impacted FPS. 

In a good way or a bad way?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

In a good way or a bad way?

Well the trees move with the wind, which you can see from a train, and if you are flying a few hundred feet above the ground. So that added tree movement is going to take processing, so take a guess  

:wink:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

But was it coded to run on the GPU...that is the question...? If V3 is coded to run on the gpu...then the hit could be minimum. Also, I bet there is a license fee for that technology, hence the "no free ride"...include AutoDesk in that equation as well...

So its not just a bug fix...new tech is introduced. And with Avatar mode provided, I'm sure LM is convinced we would want a closer look (and more interaction perhaps) at a more detailed world.

hmmmm....and to think A Helicopter is now provided....I wonder? If I hover over the trees will the air pressure cause the trees and foleage to react bending with the wind?????? OK. I'm sold.

Activation processes took a hammering recently with Windows 10 rollout.

What was your experience? I have a new sealed FSX Gold and and brand new system with Windows 10 and am planning to install FSX Gold after one more SSD arrives. Have been waiting for P3D 3.0 so may just hold off until the 30th. Just that after building a new system buying so many addons again puts me into hyperventilation....

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

What was your experience? I have a new sealed FSX Gold and and brand new system with Windows 10 and am planning to install FSX Gold after one more SSD arrives. Have been waiting for P3D 3.0 so may just hold off until the 30th. Just that after building a new system buying so many addons again puts me into hyperventilation....

Sorry I wasn't clear. Just the deactivation and reactivation of addons when installing a new build of Windows 10 (I'm running the Insider Builds of W10)

FSX Gold activated ok.

Keep well and regards

Edited by Lomai

Did it ever occur to anyone that the "we'll call it 3.0 for a bunch of bug fixes which = new license purchase" is simply a squeeze play that many in-house marketers enact when they start getting a better handle on who their market segments are?

Let's break it down:

If we assume that more revenue dollars come from commercial/military clients, $2300 is nothing. We take that in parallel with the semi-transparant fact that 3.0 is a lot of SimDirector fixes. Said market segment likely cares a lot about SimDirector since this platform is, as stated plainly in LM's marketing materials, a training platform. If anyone here has actually used SimDirector, no one will ask much more of this point.

Now skip to the AVSIM crowd. Likely an unintended revenue source (although they should've seen this coming; c'mon... enhance and update FSX and you'll have a line around the corner), they know that all of us will pay again--and yes, even you guys/gals that are complaining right now--so, in which case, there is no downside to calling this a new version. As I have argued in the past: while the P3D unit belongs to a bohemeth of a U.S. defense contractor whose bottom line is in multiple billions, P3D is likely an intended profit-center business unit. They need to show some profit lest they be cut...

And they can get it right here.

Couple of things:

there sure are a lot of "fixes" in the list and they should have been dealt with separately w/o charge, normal customer service. If they are not fixes then don't call them "fixed a bug"! I'm not so sure that its worth having any of the added features to have the massive amount of update headaches that are certain to follow. P3D V2.5 runs pretty good with (sliders reduced-ugh) all of them bugs.   

All this talk of VAS improvement is the same old promise that is never true. I wonder what those new trees and other new features are going to do to VAS? Improve VAS management, sure then add neat new features that puts VAS to square 1. We can reduce the (sliders) number of swaying trees to 4 out of 4000 in a sq. mile....why bother having them at all? 

I will hold off paying for lots of bug fixes in P3D, until I know more about whether DTG does 64 bit in their new sim and what their core program will contain.

Really though, until P3D goes 64 bit I will stay away - I hate slider reduction when my performance is fine with full sliders. 

I thought get-there-ites was pretty bad in aviation causing foolish mistakes and even death, but 32bit-ites has become an epidemic in flight simulation. 

I'm sort of in the camp of being a touch upset that there isn't upgrade pricing given how such a large percentage of the "changes" are really just fixes one would expect for a 2.xx version we already paid for.

Happy it's getting developed, but really believe that a major version update (v3, etc) should be reserved for more major changes.

I want this, but I want to hear more performance feedback, in particular from those with CPUs that run from 3.5GHz to 4.0Ghz. Rob's videos look incredibly good, but I know that he also has the hardware setup to get that performance. I would love to see performance improvements that decrease or positivly shift the performance gap between running an AMD versus and Intel CPU at the same clock rate.

I expect that version 3.0 overall is going to be performing about the same, but with more headroom so that more can be done and show on the screen for a given frame. With that increase in possible headroom compatible v.2 add-ons might not tax the v3.0 engine as much as they did running on v2.5. It all depends on how the add-on was developed though. For instance, I don't know if existing FS Global would automaticlally beable to take advantage of the Speedtree rendering without an update from ORBX. It would be nice if it did, but then again we don't know how the Speedtree integration affects the sim.

This release is really exciting!!