Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

What frustrates you the most about today's flight sims?

Share your largest pet peeve concerning anything with any of today's flight sims or flight sim hobby.

I'll start off...

For me, it is performance. Really wish I could crank the jaw dropping eye candy to max and never go below 30 fps, never have a single stutter and have no graphic glitches, in any situation.

• Upvote 5

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I am mostly annoyed by OOM's in P3D and FSX when you load up a high end airport, full ORBX suite and a high end addon.  64 bit would be nice to remove this problem.  Performance is a bit of an issue I agree but mostly acceptable.  On the other hand, the number of very high end, realistic GA, Turbo Prop and Jet aircraft available is simply amazing.  We are living an a wonderful time of flight sim despite a few issues.

• Upvote 2

PIA's

Scenery addon incompatibility and lack of developer answers.

Popping scenery, autogen, floating buildings+runways, etc.

High End Aircraft freezing or causing CTD's

As for performance. I'm afraid I wont be around by the time they sell home supercomputers to handle all we can add to the Simulators, so have no mayor complains; as long as I keep sliders at bay P3D runs smooth as silk.

- Popping and morphing scenery

- Poor ATC

On the second point you might like to try PF3 :-)

Share your largest pet peeve concerning anything with any of today's flight sims or flight sim hobby.

I'll start off...

For me, it is performance. Really wish I could crank the jaw dropping eye candy to max and never go below 30 fps, never have a single stutter and have no graphic glitches, in any situation.

You can you need a 4k monitor - just picked up a samsung 40" wow the graphics are insane and you can turn all the AA settings down allowing to turn other stuff up - still getting colors sorted out but what a difference in performance smooth as silk - I am using FPS unlimited - at 60hz - you need a good 2.0 HDMI cable - dont go cheap on that as important as the monitor itself

Rob's been telling me this for the longest time and he is so right - you wont believe what the exterior of the aircraft looks like in 4k - wow

Also OOM for me.

Constant juggling act that is tiresome.

ATC is rank rotten also with it's US only voice sets and 18000ft trans alts worldwide and no SID/STAR. (I know you can buy addon programs but my pre flight is longer than my flights these days and I want some out of the box simple functionality and I don't want to use VATSIM.)

Time zones. (Have to fix with external program)

That feeling you get when you OOM on approach after a 2 hour flight and a 1 hour prep for flight........priceless.

Oh, and my favourite VA insists on 1x time, even on huge over water segments, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Still, I love this hobby!

Absolutely performance and outdated graphics. I hope we would have a new sim that will be built from scratch and working like a background screen that reflects outside visuals at 60FPS and it is not affected by complexity of the aircraft being flown so we could fly complex aircraft such as PMDG, FSlabs that their simulation engine is independent from graphics engine but the two have interconnection to locate aircraft location, altitude etc.

Half-baked aircraft that are all eye candy, but are vacant when it comes to systems and flight performance.

• Upvote 2

I'll start off...

Many things come to my mind, I could say the limitations in flight models, the simplified atmosphere, the poor ATC, the limitations of the rendering engines, etc... But yes, you're right, If I really think about it, the most frustrating thing is the poor performance, the fact that even the fastest and most expensive PC can't get smooth 30+ fps if you crank all the sliders to the max and use those addons required to maximize realism.

You can you need a 4k monitor -...... you wont believe what the exterior of the aircraft looks like in 4k - wow

I indeed use a 4k monitor. Certainly everything is beautiful and sharp vs my old 1080p but performance its the same old thing, slow with addons. Can't max out the settings by any means.

I indeed use a 4k monitor. Certainly everything is beautiful and sharp vs my old 1080p but performance its the same old thing, slow with addons. Can't max out the settings by any means.

So you have a 4k - here its way better in performance - going to crank some more stuff up as soon as i figure out why my terrain textures are so dark at dawn and dusk - hard to tell whats what - do a calibration and see if that helps but doubt it - are you seeing this ? open for suggestions

What 4k monitor do you have

- Poor ATC

This ^3

Anyone remember subLogic's Flight Assignment: ATP ? The ATC was far better than the stock FSX:SE 

Stability and performance.

Even high end systems see only a fraction of the performance level with FSX and P3D (and X-Plane 10 64 to an extent), than you'd get with most typical PC games and simulations.

But a fundamental improvement in performance, requires a core engine change - that's why we're unlikely to ever see any staggering improvement in FSX (and perhaps P3D).    Some people think 64 bit is the holy grail for performance, but XP10 64 suggests otherwise!  I still feel I get relatively poor performance in XP10 64, for my system spec.

• Upvote 1

OOM's! Plain and simple. I actually think FSX/P3D looks spectacular with modern sceneries and aircraft. Just look at some of the screen shot forums. My sim is gorgeous and I couldnt ask for much more in terms of visuals. I have even managed to get performance to 30FPS stable and I am happy with that now.

But the Out of Memory errors which show up and cause crashes on approach and 8 hour long hauls with a failed attempt at getting to the gate or on the ground, is the more immersion breaking feature I still resent. Turn settings down to the point where the sim is hardly as gorgeous, and you still get them. Its almost as if we have come too far with such an old platform. It has buckled under its own weight. 

• Upvote 2

I wish AI airlines would follow proper SIDs and STARs with proper ATC separation. I am tired of default vectors

Unless some development begins anew now that will take full advantage of the CPU and GPU power that is 5-10 years out, this hobby will surely die off. Sub 60 frames or micro stuttering will send people packing. Take Skylake plus 4-5 generations, same for Nvidia, fire up your sim with what you want installed and settings you like. Will you stick around if the same problems persist. Not me. I'm saying that we need a completely new simulator by that point. No more legacy code. I think that the only entity that can pull it off at this stage is LM.

• Upvote 2

I'll name a few. In my opinion (yes, I'm sure some would agree and disagree):

-Certainly the balancing game of visuals, stability, performance, and VAS nowadays. And the fact a lot of my most beloved add-ons will likely no longer work once new platforms come out.

-Poor customer service and support with some add-ons, certainly multiple times (some recent) where basically I felt swept under the rug now that some companies have my money (not going to name names)

-Along those lines, products with blatant shortcomings and bugs that go ignored for whatever reason (maybe including laziness?), and are spun to be the greatest add-ons in the world which are simply empty bodies hiding behind the shell of eye-candy. Sure, there's an audience/market for those type of add-ons with some simmers, but at least be honest about it.

-Deteriorating quality of online networks, both pilots and ATC.

Positively still love the hobby though.

• Upvote 1

What?

AES. Airport Enhancement Services. It is an addon for the sim. Support for this software is so painfully slow I find it very frustrating.

But otherwise my sim FS9.x no complaints...I love it. 

• Upvote 4