Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

P3D v 4 in beta?

Because if 64-P3D were true and in the works why would Lockheed keep it a secret? Why not promote the product that's coming?

No major flightsim platform release is ever officially announced until a few months months from actual release.  That's the way it has always been - even in the MSFS days.  

One-man-bands like Austin and the XP crew aren't constrained by corporate protocol.  Austin can say what he wants, when he wants about new versions.

• Upvote 2

P3Dv3 wasn't even announced months ago. As far as I remember, P3Dv3 was only announced a couple of days prior to release. If JV can be so bold to state that the Orbx add-ons will be made compatible with P3Dv4 at no charge, then he must have already tested Orbx stuff in P3Dv4. Otherwise he would be a complete idiot making such a statement without doing some proper testing in P3Dv4. So I'm sure that he (and Rob ;-)) has his hands on a pretty mature beta as we speak and most likely it won't be more than 1-2 months until release.

• Upvote 4

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

If JV can be so bold to state that the Orbx add-ons will be made compatible with P3Dv4 at no charge, then he must have already tested Orbx stuff in P3Dv4

That's for sure  

P3Dv3 wasn't even announced months ago. As far as I remember, P3Dv3 was only announced a couple of days prior to release. If JV can be so bold to state that the Orbx add-ons will be made compatible with P3Dv4 at no charge, then he must have already tested Orbx stuff in P3Dv4. Otherwise he would be a complete idiot making such a statement without doing some proper testing in P3Dv4. So I'm sure that he (and Rob ;-)) has his hands on a pretty mature beta as we speak and most likely it won't be more than 1-2 months until release.

Quite obvious, you cannot stall sales for more than a couple of months unless you clearly state that those buying PR3D V3 now will have a free upgrade to V4 (like LR did for XP11). Same reason why Orbx had to announce a free upgrade to V4 even if this will require an additional cost for them to port existing sceneries.

That was a very nice move from ORBX. Whatever bad press they may sometimes get, this is a nice gesture for their current customers.

It will certainly make the transition to a V4 alot quicker in the main.  The potentially prohibitive cost of Orbx tranfers is/was quite clearly becoming a dealbreaker for many.  

Keen to see the version 4 Orbx landscapes with the (rumoured) new lighting engine lol

That was a very nice move from ORBX. Whatever bad press they may sometimes get, this is a nice gesture for their current customers.

To be honest, I think they just give it away for free because the only thing they need to do is update the objectflow.dll. Everything else will just work out of the box in v4. JV has stated that you don't even need to redownload the add-ons.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Once again, the debate if v4 should be a free update.

Well, it's not an update, but an upgrade.

Did you get Office 2016 free because you had Office 2013?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Maybe you should read previous comments before posting. Nobody was discussing whether something should be a free upgrade or not.

• Upvote 1

Maybe you should read previous comments before posting. Nobody was discussing whether something should be a free upgrade or not.

Ok, me sorry, just saying!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Replace LM in my post with Aerofly FS2 or DTG Flight Sim and it makes even more of a point. Your correct though, they should be concerned.

Now you're closer to the sense of the market. LM bought the rights to the FSX code for their own commercial use. I posted links to this product before, but they have a battlefield simulator that also looks like it it is a cousin to P3d. As to graphics the present version of the battlefield simulator will never compete with a console video game, but I'd be willing to bet that as to strategy and tactics it's pretty realistic. And that's just a small part of what the LM simulation group works on.

The military simulation market is immense and growing. Just look at this market projection report:

http://www.marketsandmarkets.com/PressReleases/military-simulation-virtual-training.asp

Any talk about LM playing marketing games or worry about X-Plain is just over the top nutty!! LM makes their money as a defense contractor. Their primary customer base spend millions on simulators. We as a hobby spend maybe thousands but some as little as Hundreds of dollars. I am pretty sure that you would not hear the latest update on what X-Plain is doing at a LM meeting with the USAF discussing a Mars simulator or the next version of their search and rescue simulator. Sorry, I love a good conspiricy theory as much as the next guy but that sort of talk would be beyond the pale even for the CNN nutty vision network.

• Upvote 3

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Any talk about LM playing marketing games or worry about X-Plain is just over the top nutty!! LM makes their money as a defense contractor. Their primary customer base spend millions on simulators. We as a hobby spend maybe thousands but some as little as Hundreds of dollars. I am pretty sure that you would not hear the latest update on what X-Plain is doing at a LM meeting with the USAF discussing a Mars simulator or the next version of their search and rescue simulator. Sorry, I love a good conspiricy theory as much as the next guy but that sort of talk would be beyond the pale even for the CNN nutty vision network.

LM worrying about X plane is like McDonald's worrying about Sammy's Hamburger Cart. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

If the only change is to 64bit, Laminar did it for free in X-Plane 10.

LM worrying about X plane is like McDonald's worrying about Sammy's Hamburger Cart. 

Corporation don't work that way. The do not sum up earnings and losses from all subsidiaries/departments, etc. If a department fail, or even does not make sense to keep it, it gets slaughtered. Need proof? Microsoft/ACES.

• Upvote 1

LES_signature_300px.png.fb92590eee91bc5f31a172293bd6014f.png

Well I was. It's just pennies to LM anyhow.

spacer.png