Sign in to follow this  
TvD

climat change

Just a question.
How is it that airliners still taxi from the gate to the active runway by them self instead of using towtrucks to set them of at the runway.

Would that not save a lot of fuell and contrbute to our climate?

Ton van Dongen

My guess is resources.  They just have not invested in the infrastructure to do it and it may be cheaper not to. There are also safety and logistics issues to have to deal with.  Imagine the traffic jam of tow vehicles at very busy airports that may require new taxi ways, etc.  Its a bigger issue than meets the eye.  

• Like 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

And arguably, the tow trucks would have to make a return trip each time, not to mention waiting in line as the airplanes line up for departure..  :unsure:

• Like 2

Bert

The carbon emissions an airliner emits taxiing to the runway is negligible compare to what they are dumping into the stratosphere and 30-40 thousand feet.

Noel

A cranky old curmudgeon trying to cope in the wake turbulence of a century rapidly leaving me behind.

Forget about towtrucks, they pollute also too much, have the passengers push the airplane to the runway and politicians in charge as traffic controllers 😂 

• Like 2

Kind regards,

Alex Nic

Intel Core I9-9900K@5.0 GHz, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 2 x  850 Evo 500GB, G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3200 64GB,WIN10 PRO 64

Super idea! Let's wait till we get to the runway to find out the flight is scrubbed due to mechanical problems.

• Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.9GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA GTX1080Ti - CH Fighterstick - CH Pro Throttle CH Rudder pedals

P3D, X-Plane 11

Better still, install pedals at all seats so pax can provide the power to taxi!! Sell the idea to the pax as needed cardio-vascular exercise... :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

Many Thanks to All That Donated To Our Server Drive!

I worked for major U.S. carriers for several years as the ATC rep/liaison to FAA. The idea has surfaced several times over the years,  but it just is not practical due to management, resources, coordination and many other reasons. The concept becomes overly complex and inefficient at major hubs like EWR, ORD and IAH. 

🤣🤣🤣

Kind regards,

Alex Nic

Intel Core I9-9900K@5.0 GHz, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 2 x  850 Evo 500GB, G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3200 64GB,WIN10 PRO 64

What would be the speed limit for a tow truck towing a big jet on the taxiways?

Dugald Walker

Posted (edited)

There is no such thing as climate change. Donald tRump said so.....go ahead and delete this mods.....I just had to say it..........Doug

Edited by W2DR
kant spel

Intel 4790K CPU, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard, Noctua NH-U12S cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2133 MHz RAM, nVidia GTX 970 GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

There is no such thing as man made climate change.

There, fixed it for yah !

Chris Dauth.   Hervey Bay, Australia.  YHBA

Thermaltake Level 10 GT case , Gigabyte z370 Gaming 7 Motherboard, Intel i7 8700k Coffee Lake, 6 cores @ 5ghz, 32gb DDR4 ram @ 3000Mhz, Corsair H80i Liquid cooling, nVidia GTX 1070ti Foundation Edition 8Gb of GDDR5 VRAM,  Windows 7 Ultimate x64 running on a 250gb  Western Digital NVMe SSD,  Prepar3D v4.5.11.29713 running on a dedicated 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD, + 4 mechanical 2Tb HDDs.

Good point. That's really what I meant. Thanks.................Doug

Intel 4790K CPU, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard, Noctua NH-U12S cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2133 MHz RAM, nVidia GTX 970 GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Sure there is. Inside the VAB  at Kennedy Space Center is its own micro-climate. 

Thank you.

Rick

$ Bronze Donor

EAA 1317610