Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

6 hours ago, DJJose said:

This is good news. What add-ons have you tested? I only ask because most stutters or pauses are induced by add-on AI, add-on airports, and FTX regions on my v4.5.

On my machine v4.5HF2 stuttered, without any add-ons.   The thing that I noticed with v5, was that it is smoother out-of-the-box than v4.5HF2 was.  That was the direction of my comment.

I haven't had time to test any add-ons in v5 yet (well I did install FSUIPC6 and Chaseplane last night). I'm working more because of the COVID19 thing and flight sim takes a back burner for me right now unfortunately.  What gives me hope with v5 is that we are starting from a position of a smoother base sim, and that's a pleasant surprise to go along with the better fps.  I really did not expect the smoothness improvements because I figured it was a fundamental flaw in how the sim handled object loading, but it seems that they have found a way to improve how they're handled. 

As to how that will translate into add-ons, I do not yet know.  I'm wondering if add-ons made for v4, will still perform poorly...or if the changes LM made will benefit v4 addons as well.  You mentioned London or LAX...those are my test spots also, because they really tax the sim.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

have you seen the fs2020 system requirements 😉

To get these ideal results, the simulator requires a more recent Ryzen 7 Pro 2700X or Intel i7-9800X CPUs paired with high-end AMD Radeon VII and Nvidia RTX 2080 GPUs with at least 8GB of VRAM, 32GB of RAM, a 150GB SSD and a 50Mbps connection. 

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020s-wildly-impressive-visuals-will-require-some-serious-specs/

so p3d v5 requirements are not soooo bad 😉

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

16 minutes ago, 331BK said:

have you seen the fs2020 system requirements

Does anybody take any flightsim developer's system requirements seriously? Maybe someone does who buys the sim and runs it without any add-ons. Or maybe flies only with a simple aircraft in clear skies with no AI Traffic. Or no VR. 🤣

• Like 2

You will need that recommended specification to get the visuals seen in the released screenshots and videos. Quite what you will get with an i5 4460 PC streaming at 5Mbps is anyone's guess.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I posted it because a lot of people screamed about V5 and now we can see also without pmdg and fslabs you need a high end machine and a very good Internet connection for ms2020 too. 

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

As i already said: there will be many shocked faces be when they try to run MSFS on their machines and don't get the visuals of the PR videos 😉

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

I mean from what I've read from testers, MSFS2020 runs better than both FSX and P3D (V4).

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

I mean from what I've read from testers, MSFS2020 runs better than both FSX and P3D (V4).

Wait until they run the FULL release version - that will tell all.

Now let's get back on topic please.

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Right, the topic IMHO is that TrueSky is the VRAM OOM culprit.

spacer.png

On 4/15/2020 at 12:28 PM, shivers9 said:

I have always been a supporter of Prepar3d but I have to wonder if this is not just a nice way to tell most simmers that it is time to part ways and thank you very much.

I think that you are 'spot on'.  I just cannot believe how messy this whole v5 package is overall.  The VR (patched twice and still does not work), the roads, the mesh, everything is a mess.  Hugely disappointed.  And I've been simming since subLogic on the Commodore64.  But I've never seen such a poorly tested product.  Today, I am going to (a) get a refund ; (b) enjoy some flights in 4.5 ; (c) dabble with other sims when I have time ; (d) wash my hands for 20 seconds of this whole v5 mess.  

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

14 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Yes, as does TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 provided you have enough VRAM.

Myself and a few other developers recommended LM not release V5, there are many issues/bugs ... fortunately LM are still working on resolving them.

Cheers, Rob.

So, LM knew the critizm was going to roll.  I guess they have thick skins.

39 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Yes, as does TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 provided you have enough VRAM.

Myself and a few other developers recommended LM not release V5, there are many issues/bugs ... fortunately LM are still working on resolving them.

Cheers, Rob.

Well hopefully things get fixed soon otherwise I think it will leave a sour taste in peoples mouths at LM and with devs as well.

As long as I dont crash thru a wall at 500ft anymore ill be good.

Edited by akabam

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

It does seem curious why LM had to rush v5 out the door. 

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB