Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

28th October Developer Q&A: Begins at 10:30 AM PDT

Well, even though I currently have no interest in MSFS, I will say after watching the replay of today broadcast that MS and Asobo certainly are engaged is all aspects and they do inspire confidence in the future of the platform. After seeing the initial feedback on P3D 5.1, not so much confidence in that one.

• Like 6

Eric 

6 hours ago, in2tech said:

Now, really no one, or very, very few people should have installations problems. Basically no one should, if that is possible. 

I fully agree. No one SHOULD have installation/update download problems. Unfortunately dozens of people must buy $20 NetLimter and limit the download speed to 1-3Mbps to be able to download the compulsory updates. 

I don't see Asobo very much concerned. 

Is it me or the devs were clueless on a couple of things. LOD issues have bee  plaguing the sim for a while now and Sebastian Wloch doesnt agree. Then again on the question of elevator authoriry, he claims that the issue was fixed in update 1.9.5. Like for real ? Do they even fly their own sim? 

I also believe that a large portion of their time is being invested on getting that xbox version out. That is where the real money is and that is where the true interest of Microsoft lies. 

For now I am taking a wait and see approach. Will probably come back to it next year when its more fleshed out. I love this sim and I truly hope it delivers!

Edited by Baber20

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

4 hours ago, B777ER said:

Well, even though I currently have no interest in MSFS, I will say after watching the replay of today broadcast that MS and Asobo certainly are engaged is all aspects and they do inspire confidence in the future of the platform. After seeing the initial feedback on P3D 5.1, not so much confidence in that one.

First time I watched one of these last night

I'm not sure many people realise what we are given access to - the leads of development teams for such a significant piece of software!

These people have extremely busy jobs and rarely do you get such insight into active, inundated teams of devs via their leaders

Yet the scrolling Twitch chat was a stark reminder of how childish and entitled the Flight Sim community is

anyway - don't want to be negative, Asobo and Microsoft are providing great engagement on the development of MSFS - thumbs up from me

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Steku said:

I fully agree. No one SHOULD have installation/update download problems. Unfortunately dozens of people must buy $20 NetLimter and limit the download speed to 1-3Mbps to be able to download the compulsory updates. 

I don't think that Asobo should be concerned about this though. It is not their fault, nor Microsoft's. They can't be blamed for peoples unstable internet connections. Having to limit ones download speed to "1-3Mbps" by purchasing a $20 piece of software is absurd, especially when you are working with multi-GB downloads. Change internet service providers, buy a better router/modem and LAN cables and/or network card (or motherboard) for your PC or format and re-install Windows even. That's not Asobo's issue. I was running 50 Mbps and now took advantage of a limited time promotion to upgrade to 100Mbps at no extra charge - downloading multi-GB updates at these speeds is an absolute breeze. 

• Like 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I watched the Twitch replay. This is my opinion, I'm not ranting. If you are going to give an update on the progress of the sim and have Q&A(or read off a brat list) by Lead developers and Co founders CEO's etc of both companies involved on the status of bugs found or working, At the very least have some substantive facts and answers,and at the very least have someone who understands Flying. Answers that were given are pointless and lack content. I think the vote system they have going for bug fixes caters purely for the arcade gamers and has no real benefit for us simmers. They need to structure and prioritise bugs relevent to get a basic working sim with VFR/IFR and weather systems that work. Otherwise they are like a dog chasing its tail in circles. If this was my work and i gave the boss a progress update like the one i watched today i would be fired.

• Like 3

tpewpb-6.png

1 minute ago, RW1 said:

I watched the Twitch replay. This is my opinion, I'm not ranting. If you are going to give an update on the progress of the sim and have Q&A(or read off a brat list) by Lead developers and Co founders CEO's etc of both companies involved on the status of bugs found or working, At the very least have some substantive facts and answers,and at the very least have someone who understands Flying. Answers that were given are pointless and lack content. I think the vote system they have going for bug fixes caters purely for the arcade gamers and has no real benefit for us simmers. They need to structure and prioritise bugs relevent to get a basic working sim with VFR/IFR and weather systems that work. Otherwise they are like a dog chasing its tail in circles. If this was my work and i gave the boss a progress update like the one i watched today i would be fired.

they're not giving their boss an update though, the updates for their bosses will be based on their internal formal delivery schedule and bug list and is likely proceeding to plan

the update they were providing was for a messy list of, at times, very vague headline issues that cover a much larger number of bugs provided by people who are not formal software testers

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, NightOfDreams said:

Sounds like the developers are not getting enough feedback from players, for whatever reason. Does the Zendesk even talk back and forth with the developers? The lightning is a very common problem, unbelievable they only heard vague reports about the Bahamas...

I also experienced it recently on a clear day flying in the Cape Town area, South Africa. Was flying with gamer earphones and the crack of lighting out of the blue nearly had me falling of my chair so unexpected it was. Hopefully they can get it sorted.

By the way, very important point was mentioned, the performance. Seb mentioned, with the new performance optimisation that is coming in the next update (update 6 if not mistaken), we will see less of CPU bound and more with GPU bound, which means in my understanding, we can even push the LOD harder through the configuration file as much as our GPUs can handle, I have noticed if I'd use LOD 3.0 (set in the config file), it was always CPU bound issue rather than GPU bound issue.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

3 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

I don't think that Asobo should be concerned about this though. It is not their fault, nor Microsoft's. They can't be blamed for peoples unstable internet connections.

I have to disagree about that, I am using Steam for quite some time and never had any issue , even with my "4G" African connection. MSFS updater is a nightmare, downloads are stalling or just restarting

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

I don't think that Asobo should be concerned about this though. It is not their fault, nor Microsoft's. They can't be blamed for peoples unstable internet connections. Having to limit ones download speed to "1-3Mbps" by purchasing a $20 piece of software is absurd, especially when you are working with multi-GB downloads. Change internet service providers, buy a better router/modem and LAN cables and/or network card (or motherboard) for your PC or format and re-install Windows even. That's not Asobo's issue. I was running 50 Mbps and now took advantage of a limited time promotion to upgrade to 100Mbps at no extra charge - downloading multi-GB updates at these speeds is an absolute breeze. 

Lucky you with your I'm alright jack.

Spare a thought for those of us that have internet line speeds that do not support much above 20Mpbs.

As far as I am aware I do not have a problem with my windows install everything else works without a problem.

In my case I did not have a problem with previous updates but the last update (like lots of others) simply stuck at downloading big files and I ended up spending 2 days reinstalling the simulator, except, even on the reinstall it stuck at downloading big files! I eventually came across  this link on the Microsoft flight simulator FAQ site:  https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016844080-Download-stuck-on-packages-Install-loop and 2 days later I had a working sim again.

This begs the question if Microsoft put this in their FAQ's is there a known problem with updating the sim for some people?

Mick

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

By the way, very important point was mentioned, the performance. Seb mentioned, with the new performance optimisation that is coming in the next update (update 6 if not mistaken), we will see less of CPU bound and more with GPU bound, which means in my understanding, we can even push the LOD harder through the configuration file as much as our GPUs can handle, I have noticed if I'd use LOD 3.0 (set in the config file), it was always CPU bound issue rather than GPU bound issue.

where is the LOD config file? I searched but didn't find it...

Victor Roos

33 minutes ago, mickatmian said:

Lucky you with your I'm alright jack.

Spare a thought for those of us that have internet line speeds that do not support much above 20Mpbs.

As far as I am aware I do not have a problem with my windows install everything else works without a problem.

In my case I did not have a problem with previous updates but the last update (like lots of others) simply stuck at downloading big files and I ended up spending 2 days reinstalling the simulator, except, even on the reinstall it stuck at downloading big files! I eventually came across  this link on the Microsoft flight simulator FAQ site:  https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016844080-Download-stuck-on-packages-Install-loop and 2 days later I had a working sim again.

This begs the question if Microsoft put this in their FAQ's is there a known problem with updating the sim for some people?

Mick

Wish there were two upvotes for this.

I encountered the looping download at 1.8.30 which borked my installation, resulting in the whole lot having to be downloaded at 500KB/s courtesy of Net Limiter. Seems the problem may have stemmed from setting your download speed in game to anything other than unlimited but if you can't get in the game to change the setting...

However this has precious little to do with user hardware, despite what the circular blade based air mover boys might keep pushing. I am on the top level BT Broadband service but didn't stop me having issues.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Steku said:

How is Asobo to blame for people's bad internet connection. They need to talk to their isp. Me and thousands of people have no problems downloading and installing the game. 

• Like 1