Sign in to follow this  
pmplayer

Fixed reduction of tree display..

If asobo would make a change in tree distance I hope the find a way to make them blurry in the distance and not unrealistic sharp like they were.

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

.......and make them bigger! Everyone is whining about trees being too big. Take a good, close look at that video. Asobo trees (where there are any) are half the size of the trees in real life.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

13 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

.......and make them bigger! Everyone is whining about trees being too big. Take a good, close look at that video. Asobo trees (where there are any) are half the size of the trees in real life.

Well spotted! I think what I mostly take away from that is that trees really do vary a lot in size/height around the world, and any one-size-fits-all approach (different tree types in the sim aside) is bound to be wrong at least some of the time.

Also possible the video maker was using one of the mods to make trees smaller. 🙂

James

• Like 1

Not related to the trees, but the video also highlights how overdone the heat haze effect is on the engines in the sim. I always thought that the X-Plane 11 equivalent effect was a really good effort. A far narrower, more concentrated jet of blurriness.

Tree density and heat haze gripes aside, I should point out that I thought the comparison video highlighted, more than anything, how stunning the MSFS engine actually is.

Edited by Redge
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Redge said:

Tree density and heat haze gripes aside, I should point out that I thought the comparison video highlighted, more than anything, how stunning the MSFS engine actually is.

Its also pretty remarkable how close msfs actually is to the comparison video down to all of the little houses and barns, fields, treelines, etc.  I'm assuming this is all default scenery ya?  Yes, the tree LOD should be addressed (sounds like they tried to but messed something up) ... but I mean.. look at ... I dunno... the whole rest of the frame? 🙂

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

Yes, the tree LOD should be addressed (sounds like they tried to but messed something up) ... but I mean.. look at ... I dunno... the whole rest of the frame? 🙂

Actually I don't think they messed up anything. At least not in the tree distance department. 🙂 Tree draw distance is already higher than in the (un-modded) launch version of MSFS - obviously it is not as good as some people think it should be or as it allegedly was in Beta. Only thing is that the Tree Distance Fix mod was able to use a glitch in MSFS to double the tree draw distance by manipulating the height of some trees to very unrealistic heights. I would call this "using a bug to alter tree draw distance". And now this is not possible anymore because Asobo fixed the glitch - and some people love to think that this is a new bug. But it clearly isn't. With this I do not say that I wouldn't like to see more trees sometimes.

Edited by crimplene
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, crimplene said:

....Tree draw distance is already higher than in the (un-modded) launch version of MSFS -...

which is not true by any means ... Tree distance mods became necessary after the Japan WU. Before it was fine.

Edited by Nemo
  • Upvote 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

19 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I'm still too frightened to get in the cockpit of the Corsair - she sounds like a totally different kettle of fish.

Started my training in the Corsair today.  Easier to get into than the Spit'. To get up and down, the locked tailwheel does wonder 😄 ! 

Only thing to complain so far, a silly HUD which I could really do without. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Been reading about these tree debates, and here is what I don't understand. If you are flying at say 4000 feet which is almost a mile high and you are looking out at the horizon for trees, say 5 miles away, that means you are almost 6 miles from that tree. The average height of a tree is around 100 feet. How does one expect to see something 100 feet high from 6 miles away???

http://biorefinery.utk.edu/technical_reviews/Tree Size.pdf

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5280 ft is a mile high, 4000ft is only .75 of a mile, so not what I would call "almost". Unless 25% out is close?

Go out and look to the horizon if they are trees they you can, if you have normal eye sight see them, they are 3 miles away when you even go up to FL 360 IRL you can still see trees countless miles away. You logic is terrable. Or do you think at 10,000 ft you can only see trees upto 3 miles away? OR when at 7,000ft you can only see to even 10 miles out! ?

Height [feet] Distance Horizon [miles]
7000 102,5
8000 109,6
9000 116,2
10000 122,5

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

9 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

5280 ft is a mile high, 4000ft is only .75 of a mile, so not what I would call "almost". Unless 25% out is close?

Go out and look to the horizon if they are trees they you can, if you have normal eye sight see them, they are 3 miles away when you even go up to FL 360 IRL you can still see trees countless miles away. You logic is terrable. Or do you think at 10,000 ft you can only see trees upto 3 miles away? OR when at 7,000ft you can only see to even 10 miles out! ?

Height [feet] Distance Horizon [miles]
7000 102,5
8000 109,6
9000 116,2
10000 122,5

Can you make out a sign  that is 100 feet high, two miles away from it?  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

Possibly not. But you're likely to see 200 of them.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I can see EGNX control tower from the top of a hill to me and it sticks out like a sore thum it 300FT high and I can see every bit of it, thank you. Thats 3 miles away. 

I can take a photo if you like.

Also we are talking about what you see when your in the air Bob, a mile if you like but that 5,000ft not 4,000ft and you should know since you fly that you can see a long way when up there.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

For all the people who can't understand what we're talking about.Results may differ depending on light, clouds, visibility and raised terrain.

Here on flat ground in different places.

Ultra Settings:

ZJVnFnz.jpg

52hRAc9.jpg

QSbQohU.jpg

yRBVzal.jpg

BbBEYs4.jpg

HOsfG5Q.jpg

• Like 1

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

8 minutes ago, filou said:

For all the people who can't understand what we're talking about.Results may differ depending on light, clouds, visibility and raised terrain.

Here on flat ground in different places.

Ultra Settings:

ZJVnFnz.jpg

52hRAc9.jpg

QSbQohU.jpg

yRBVzal.jpg

BbBEYs4.jpg

HOsfG5Q.jpg

Yes we have seen this now often enough. It wont get better by ranting about it a hundred times. Report to Zendesk.

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11