Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Still using MSfS2020

Featured Replies

I don’t get WASM crashes in MS2020 which is the main reason I continue to use it; I essentially have never finished a MS2024 flight using a high-fidelity addon, especially the inbuilds A350 and the PMDG 777 – which are the main two aircraft I fly. Even if I program the arrival runway and STAR on the ground and don’t touch anything other than the absolute minimum you have to do in flight – bang, orange screens, and hours of pre-flight and flight time lost.  

Yes, the PMDG 777 is frozen now in time for 2020 and the A350 is due for another 2020 update which will be its last. 

I only hope that at some point, the developers and Asobo manage to sort out the WASM issues in 2024 because eventually if that does not occur, I can’t see myself continuing with sim as my hobby (and I go back to FS9) once support for 2020 officially ends as I can’t fly how I like to fly and how I like to use the sim notwithstanding that 2024 may be perfectly acceptable for a huge audience that don’t fly SOP high fidelity airliners.

Even RSR from PMDG wrote a thread that said ‘WASM Crashes are a Threat to Simming’, and for me, they are which is why 2024 for the 5th time is currently uninstalled (and it does not reside on the same drive as 2020 when it is on my PC, it has its own SSD).

I will try SU7 when it is released…

  • Replies 70
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Yes, will keep 2020, runs great & looks great, if for nothing else but the simpler camera/controller setup.

  • Virtpilot
    Virtpilot

    Still on 2020, enjoying it with my full heart and got no plans moving to 2024.

  • El Diablito
    El Diablito

    How about, the changes for the average user are purely cosmetic and mostly not noticeable to someone who doesn't spend 90% of their time in a sim chasing perfect performance and just like to open the

Still on 2020, enjoying it with my full heart and got no plans moving to 2024.

Tapani Österberg

If it wasn't for that fog/mist/ smoke I get in the cockpit of any ac ( have to get close to the window to see clear especially at altitude, not in fs2024) 2020 would still work for me performance wise

I was hesitant to transition from 2020 to 2024 but I took the plunge when 2024 went on sale earlier this year and I couldn't be happier. The performance optimizations of 2024 were a big factor in my decision and I don't regret it at all since 2024 runs much better on my medium-range CPU compared to 2020. The fact that you can natively limit FPS in 2024 and then use frame gen to get stable and fixed FPS is hands-down the best feature for me as it ensure the lowest latency compared to externally limiting the FPS in 2020.

I have a 20 Mbps DSL connection and never have any problem with bandwidth. I run a 50GB rolling cache.

Private Pilot | Windsor Flying Club | CYQG

Intel i5 14400F | Manli RTX 3090 24GB | Kingston DDR4 32GB | MSFS2020&24 | AutoFPS & Nexus Mods DLSS Enabler |

18 minutes ago, xsever said:

I was hesitant to transition from 2020 to 2024 but I took the plunge when 2024 went on sale earlier this year and I couldn't be happier. The performance optimizations of 2024 were a big factor in my decision and I don't regret it at all since 2024 runs much better on my medium-range CPU compared to 2020. The fact that you can natively limit FPS in 2024 and then use frame gen to get stable and fixed FPS is hands-down the best feature for me as it ensure the lowest latency compared to externally limiting the FPS in 2020.

I have a 20 Mbps DSL connection and never have any problem with bandwidth. I run a 50GB rolling cache.

CPU is not really the issue for me but my midrange GPU might be the issue. In heavy areas like Tokyo and LA in 24 I invariably get lag and/or stutter here and there, then a tranche of objects or texture pop-in. By lag I mean when I pan a view or something like that the image will have trails or blur in it for a moment or two before restoring to normal image. This never happens in 20, which is why I continue to use it for airline or heavy area flying. My connection averages 700-800 mbps so it can't be a streaming issue.

I also prefer doing primary development in 20 and only compile in 24 if the scenery data differs. Even then it is easy to simply import the xml I'm using with the 20 SDK. The 24 SDK has too many layers of complexity and I don't really understand the LOD system despite watching many tutorials.

Edited by Nandengo12

53 minutes ago, Nandengo12 said:

.....The 24 SDK has too many layers of complexity and I don't really understand the LOD system despite watching many tutorials.

I don't think Asobo understand it either 😉

Christopher Low

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D CPU / 64GB DDR5-6000 RAM / 12GB Nvidia RTX 4070 Super GPU / Gigabyte X870E Aorus Elite Wifi 7 / 1+2TB Samsung Evo Plus M2 Nvme

UK2000 Beta Tester

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I don't think Asobo understand it either 😉

LOL that may be so 😋

20 hours ago, JYW said:

The number of users using MSFS2020 is diminishing every day

Finally uninstalled my 2020 version over the weekend to make some space for new things. I find myself fully committed to 2024 now. While 2020 is a great product for Free Flight, I spend most of my time in Career Mode in 2024 - I really enjoy it, plenty of activities, plenty of variety as you grow your fleet and companies. I'm not in it for airliners and 2024 Career Mode seems to be very GA focused, Airliners are End Game stuff that takes a long long time to earn up to. Actually, for helicopter guys like myself, 2024 career mode, with SAR missions, is a blast!

MSI Aegis R | Intel i7-14700F | NVIDIA RTX 4060 | 1TB NVMe | 32GB RAM | Windows 11

Yesterday, Sunday I installed 2020 for good too, and I say this with caution. And I said also perhaps would keep 2020 for about 6 more months and that was my sim safe haven while had 2024 from the beginning. It is difficult to feed both sims, in fact three with XP12 but XP12 is my other passion so it safe indefinitely on my SSD drive (I hope not to eat my own words). Back to 2020 it was time to say goodbye, had the best swimming moments and always worked great on my system. As I like to say, less is more, now will focus only in 2024 (in the MS side) and accept any bug still present there, life goes on and I needed to move forward too as this SU7 is now progressing.

Alexander Colka

I can't use 2024 until Asobo fixes the landing effects issue. When I watch replays, the smoke comes from either the left or the right landing gear; if it appears from both main gears, it's missing from the nose gear. I know some people remove this effect entirely, but it's important to me.


I use 2020. I have 2024 installed but all the stupid profiles it creates for all my controllers drives me nut. I adjust and save them and the next time I go to use it something is wrong. Spent plenty of time on it but have given up for now. 2020 runs great. 2024 runs great too but why does Asobo have to make the controller stuff so over complicated?

Cheers!

Richie Walsh

On 9/13/2026 at 10:44 AM, wan2fly99 said:

Are many people still using this version? Looking at MSFS2024 seems more stable now and more content is out for.

Just iffy about learning the new interface for it.

Have a question. I am still using a bunch of Goflight hardware.I have loaded up FSX also and when I i fire up MSFS2020 I fire up the Goflight interface.

The hardware then works in MSFS2020. Has anybody tried this for MSFS2024

I just switched.🫡 FS2024 is in a much better place than it was before. One of the draws for me was Jurassic Park which is screwed up now with the release of SU6. Not sure if this will ever get resolved judging by the ongoing issue with the water masks in the Florida Keys. Low priority. At least we have a payware fix for the Keys, not so sure if there's any hope for Jurassic Park.

Edited by Dillon

FS2024 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Super OC 16GB - Pimax Crystal Light VR 

I still use MSFS2020, and I'm very happy with it - the graphics are excellent and all of my aircraft apart from the A220 fly very smoothly

Before installing MSFS2020 (and I was on the original Beta team), I was using FS9 and it was great - it ran very easily on my previous system and I had all the aircraft that I wanted to fly, had great AI traffic and virtual ATC (Radar Contact) . However, I was finding that more elements had stopped working and I was thinking about going to FSX. However, MSFS202 was about to be launched so I went for that instead.

Having said all that, I'm thinking about going to MSFS2024 because the Hawker 800XP is only available on it, and I want to fly it as I was part of the original BAe125-800 design team.

I’ve been spending a bit of time with my nephew and his family and he’s still rocking 2020. Apart from the wildly simpler controls setup (2024 still confuses me 2 years later) it does look better to my eyes in terms of colour and clouds, although it may well be because it’s running on a 1080p screen that’s a lot more forgiving than my 55inch 4k TV. The biggest drawback in my eyes is the insanely long load time.

The vastly superior trees, improved terrain mesh, and fix for those annoying "land bars" were more than enough to convince me that I had made the right decision when I upgraded from MSFS 2020 to MSFS 2024 last December.

Christopher Low

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D CPU / 64GB DDR5-6000 RAM / 12GB Nvidia RTX 4070 Super GPU / Gigabyte X870E Aorus Elite Wifi 7 / 1+2TB Samsung Evo Plus M2 Nvme

UK2000 Beta Tester

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.