Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

P3Dv2 + ORBX FTX Global Vector, first impressions?

My first impression when I looked at the screen shots was it looks nice and would be even better if the lights could be dimmed a little. Then I went to Google Satellite to compare and I saw what J van E was talking about. This is a rural area with narrow country roads. If the width of the roads could be reduced it would look a lot more realistic. The roads are wider than the runway.  But then......is that the river running across the runway or are my old eyes messing with me?

J van E, you live in a really nice area. No wonder you don't fly anywhere else. :lol:

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

This is a rural area with narrow country roads. If the width of the roads could be reduced it would look a lot more realistic. The roads are wider than the runway.

Exactly my point!

J van E, you live in a really nice area. No wonder you don't fly anywhere else. :lol:

Man, I WISH! I live in the utterly flat and boring Netherlands. :rolleyes: However, between 1971 and 1984 I visited the country every year and I once went back there in 1996 with my own family. Circumstances prevent me to go back once more for now but anyway, that's the reason I like flying there: sweet memories of one of the most beautiful countries on earth! ^_^

They take pretty all the data from OpenStreetMap.

http://www.openstreetmap.org

Openstreetmap is only "pretty good" in a couple of area`s, generally Europe is pretty good, with UK, Holland, Germany, Switzerland being really good.

(fixing all errors is/equals getting all data correct in OSM, which you can actually do yourself)

Which is also a reason i really have little respect for their pricing point.

1st they take freely donated data and sell it for top dollar (45 Euro), just for recompiling the data.

(This package should be free just because of this)

2nd lots of area`s in the world dont have any data in OSM which doesnt make it logical to ask any money for it. (there is nothing to convert)

3rd they dont mention/attempt making their recompiler running every month or so, which would generate a motivation for simmers to update/improve the OSM data, certainly for rural/natural area`s that usually get done last because nobody lives there. (in other words being able to indirectly improve the sim-looks by taking matters in your own hands, as a user.)

May I suggest you not to buy it? I have some reservations on the whole vector + mesh thing as a whole, so I am not buying them. I think that's fair.

Your 3rd point (recompile monthly) sounds reasonable, but I suspect that there is MUCH more than just running a compiler in the process of getting OSM data and transforming them into vector data. I believe that THAT is what is worth the money, not just running an automated tool.

As a final remark: what's really holding me back at the moment is the fact that I see double bridges, missing features (golf courses for instance), ice patches over lakes, and in general funny things even in popular areas: bugs that should not belong in a commercial product, to the point that one wonders how they got through beta testing in the first place. Otherways, we are back to the automated compiler, and in THAT case I would agree not to buy the product(s)

Unless, of course, they assure me that mesh + vector has none of those problems: at that point I will reconsider.

Greetings

Andrea

Unless, of course, they assure me that mesh + vector has none of those problems: at that point I will reconsider.

It's not only the mesh and vector that's a problem. The amount and look of the roads also is. The roads are too big, they've added to many of them, and they even added encasements to them. Little villages look like part of New York this way. Now if you could disable some parts, I might consider getting Vector for the waters, but as it is now I will stick with FTX regions and use UTX when it has been released for P3D 2.0.

Good news for UTX fans, but I'm not keen on mixing addons from different developers. I'm 100% ORBX + freeware for scenery. I'm done mixing things. Hopefully there will be a configuration tool sometime in the future, but if not, I'll pass on Vector.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hi,

I have a different mindset. I have no problem mixing and matching products as long as the end result meets with my expectations.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

"Hopefully there will be a configuration tool sometime in the future, but if not, I'll pass on Vector."

I agree.  I posted elsewhere on the forums how Vector completely misses accuracy (not even close) on some large Lakes in Colorado.  I disabled ORBX!VECTOR in the scenery library for P3D V2 and all of the scenery for the lakes returned normally.

Hopefully some fixes will come down the road.  Pretty disappointed after spending $50.00 on Vector.

How is your VAS btw after adding Vector?

It doesn't seem to have changed much.

The shots above were taken with most things maxed or on high settings. Sysinternals Process Explorer measured the VAS as 2.9Gb. The FPS was around 25-30.

Blackrat

Looking at the screenshots, vector roads are way to obtrusive and bear little relationship to the real world. What I don't get is why the roads in the Iceland demo looked ok? I'm not anywhere near my PC and won't be for a while, so can't check.

1st they take freely donated data and sell it for top dollar (45 Euro), just for recompiling the data.

(This package should be free just because of this)

LOL what colour is the sky on the planet you're living on exactly? If it is so easy to "just recompile the data" why haven't you done it yourself?

:P

Eagles may soar, but alley cats don't get sucked into jet engines.

I did a flight in my home town and I see the river cut off where I stopped drawing in in OSM. US data is pretty poor from OSM not enough people working on it and even where it is the quality is poor/incorrect/sloppy. The problem with roads doesn't lie within the vector product itself so to speak but the data it's compiled from. Many lazy people on OSM just use the same road for everything, so if this was used for this product thats what you get. I spent many hours correcting stuff for my area like 2 lane and 4 lane roads, trails and dirt roads etc. 

There is a similar thing for XP10 but it is free due to generous people contributing their time and resources (Simheaven is a great example) 

I'll have to do some more flying in different areas like Europe to see how much of a change there is. It is better than default FSX but not sure if it's sixty dollars worth. Thinking I should have gotten the Pilots mesh first...

Here's my video of the Norway (Bomoen) using FTX Global, FTX Vector, FS Global 2010 FTX Edition, REX 4 ... in P3DV2 of course ;)

I was going to post this in the other thread but sadly it got locked.

Cheers, Rob.

P.S.  I'm having a blast with the products, bugs and all.

I am confused. After purchasing FTX Global I patiently waited for FTX Vector and am enjoying it. And now the wait again for Open LC. After purchasing Vector I read the user guide and discovered another software to improve the immersion, FTX Global 2010X. Is FTX Global 2010X necessary and does it really improve the simulation?

^That is the $64,000 question now isn't it?

If anyone could verify what the differences are between 2010FTX and old 2010 and Ultimate, that would be great.

So far we have Northern Canada in 2010FTX, anything else different?

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

This is becoming to be..buy this and buy that, which they could have released all these features on that first version. I have FTX Global which i though will be the textures that will replace all of the FSX textures to make my sim more realistic. Now, you got this FTX Vector which they could have included that with the FTX Global and not to mention the new land class that is suppose to come out with bunch of regions. By the time you get sucked on buying these to get "more enhancement" on your existing FTX global textures, you will be spending about 500 bucks.

Is like Apple, here is first gen Ipad, now we have Ipad with retina display and now Ipad Air etc....you will end up buying a version which is a small step from the previous version.

Just my two cents...........

Kin M.

(Klax)