Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise"

Whomever purchased will need:

1. Initial startup costs.

2. R&D

3. Marketing

4. Legal costs to enforce the above

5. Daily operating expenses

So it's gotta be someone with cash to burn. This means someone who has been profitable somewhere else other than flight sim.

Otherwise you would create your own sim from the ground up.

supporter.jpg

So.....purely hypothetical.....Flight Sim franchise has been sold..New buyer has all the rights,etc.....Decides that P3D is now a competitor to their new investment and orders a cease and desist. I mean that's what I would do.

P3D bought ESP. It's there's and has nothing to do with the FS name. What you suggest isn't possible.

I'd love it if google was the purchaser, for they have deep pockets, the required software talent, and most importantly the vision to do the right thing with it.  Also lets hope that P3D is not tied into this deal, for I'd wager that the new owner will haul LM's butt to court in a NY second over their loose marketing.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I'm only scared that it'll be EA and they'll not only turn it into an arcade game but also shove that Origin bull down our throats and no modding ability.

sig01.png

Intriguing. I was going to say  I made some calls cause "I know a guy" who is obsessed with flight simulation  who also happens to just "know a guy" who has deep pockets and doesnt know what to do with his money, so I convinced them to be sure that full 3D motion will be added to the next version, with free installation of the hydraulics and Pneumatics. 

Seriously though, Im guessing that if there was any sort of selling deal on MS part, you would think that LM would have made sure they were first in line. This might be just to warp things all up tight.

After all thats gone on, I dont think someone else will be wanting to take on LM as a competitor.

Hey maybe it is the PMDG-Aerosoft Alliance as someone mentioned. or maybe its Steam, where we will be charged for every flight we make, landing fees, fuel, maintenance. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Lets all remember, our FSX will not change. Why are people starting to think that a dead product will be brought to life and then turned against us?

The name guys, that is what we are looking at. Not FSX, nothing to do with it.

Flight Sim franchise has been sold..New buyer has all the rights,etc...

New buyer has the rights to the Flight Simulator franchise, LM has the rights to the ESP codebase.

To completly different products.

LM had an agreement to not compete with MS using the ESP codebase.

The new buyer has no rights to ESP and no non compete agreement with LM

Exactly how does Steam charge you? Steam is a publisher, they do it over the net, they provide a download and way to launch a game. Steam does not produce the games they sell.

LoL, just as Rob is trying his level best to give us an early heads-up without as much as betraying his 'source', lo and behold he gets shot. Cannot win for trying. Well Done, Tom, with that 'Beware Notice'.

An "early heads up" about what?  The fact that he knows " a trusted individual", who then becomes a very senior airline executive, who knows that a "certain individual" bought the license?  Wow, I know so much more now than I did before.

Why the 3 posts about, essentially, nothing?  Just PM whoever you need to communicate with privately, talk to your source and see if he/she is OK with you divulging the info, then post what you know, or not.

I just think it's silly to post about highly sought after information that you have, but then turn right around and say that you can't tell anyone about it.

That's all I'll say on the matter.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

My website for P3D stuff: https://sites.google.com/view/thep3dfiles/home

It's just about the name and maybe a bit about some of the know-how/processes. I wouldn't spend a dime to just get my hands on the 2006 code-base if I had the money, unless I was opening a software development museum. It's possible there will be a new development. "Flight Simulator" - having these two words for your product name will help with its marketing immensely. I sure hope they won't try extending the old platform, as it's a dead end street and I would rather want to see resources committed to a brand new (future-proof and scalable) engine instead. Let the old one go in peace.

for I'd wager that the new owner will haul LM butt to court in a NY second over their loose marketing.

Haul Lockheed Martins butt to court, you nearly made me spit my beer over the keyboard right there :smile: , they better have deep pockets and some really good legal counsel

An "early heads up" about what?  The fact that he knows " a trusted individual", who then becomes a very senior airline executive, who knows that a "certain individual" bought the license?  Wow, I know so much more now than I did before.

Why the 3 posts about, essentially, nothing?  Just PM whoever you need to communicate with privately, talk to your source and see if he/she is OK with you divulging the info, then post what you know, or not.

I just think it's silly to post about highly sought after information that you have, but then turn right around and say that you can't tell anyone about it.

That's all I'll say on the matter.

Dave

Read my last post, I don't need to justify my reasons again... So yes, it is better you say nothing else...  And once again, I am surprised about all the negativity here.   Perhaps why I don't visit these main forums much. 

And also my post's prior to that.......  

"From what he told me the plans for a future version look very good"

"He told me the person behind it (who he knows) is equally passionate about having a new platform to build on."

Rob Prest

Personally i think this is very good news!

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

P3D bought ESP. It's there's and has nothing to do with the FS name. What you suggest isn't possible.

New buyer has the rights to the Flight Simulator franchise, LM has the rights to the ESP codebase.

To completly different products.

LM had an agreement to not compete with MS using the ESP codebase.

The new buyer has no rights to ESP and no non compete agreement with LM

Are you two sure? Most reports are along these lines of a license.

Lockheed Martin and Microsoft entered into an intellectual property (IP) licensing agreement that allows Lockheed Martin to further develop the Microsoft ESP PC-based visual simulation software platform to better train warfighters for battle. Lockheed Martin’s software development teams will extend the current capabilities of ESP to enable a whole new suite of innovative ESP-based solutions that'll evolve beyond flight training to include ground and civil agency applications. “Solutions built on Microsoft ESP can engage users in immersive experiences with very realistic environments, making them ideal tools for training, evaluating and preparing personnel for optimal performance in real world,” said Chris Cortez. “ESP models entire world and will allow Lockheed Martin’s developers to easily add their own content, objects, scenery, simulation functionality and scenarios to create custom training solutions.”

Financial terms weren't disclosed, but in general such licensing agreements provide benefits to Microsoft when the people who license its technologies see success with the resulting products.

Was this arrangement ever altered? 

I love that term, "warfighters". I think maybe LM's focus changed a little...

- Bill Magann