Sign in to follow this  
shamrockflyer

R.I.P Robin Williams

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yeah. Often when famous strangers die, and it shows up on the news, you say as with anyone "Awww, what a shame." but this time it was a really visceral shock, almost like a gut punch. He was so much a part of my childhood, almost like a close friend.

Rest in peace, Mr Williams.  :(

Oh, man.  There are few public figures who's deaths have touched me in other than superficial ways.  This is one of them.  Robin Williams was a true comedic genius.  He will be missed.

Scott

A true, unique, funny guy. And a clean funny which many comedians can't do.

Early reports say is alcohol or drug related, hope its not.

Edit: Now they say suicide. Really?

Why Robin... ?  T_T   Why suicide?    I suffered from suicidal depression two years ago but someone was there to save me.   Why didn't Robin get that chance?   This is a real punch to the gut.  I have only ever cried one other time when a celebrity died and that was when Christopher Reeves passed away, the one TRUE Superman.    Robin Williams is one of the best actors and comedians of all time.   Everything he did was gold.   This is an unreplaceable loss and the world is a lot less funny now with him gone.

They say that many of the world's most creative minds struggle with depression. This man was truly a comic genius. I would imagine that many of his appearances will begin to show up on TV or the internet. If you get a chance to see the interview he did on Inside the Actor's Studio, watch it. It's one the the greatest examples of improvisation you will ever see.

His spirit was so uplifting on screen and what many have said of him in person.  Hard to imagine even at such a successful level the world can still seem dark.  He will be missed, I'm shocked he's gone.  Not something I would have expected.  As they say only the good die young... 

When I read about his passing, I was extremely shocked that I read it again like 10 times. It's hard to imagine him gone. He was a great actor.

RIP. 

Im not usually affected much by the passing of celebrities but this got me teary eyed, its almost as if I knew him as a friend.

RIP

RIP, to a legendary funny man. Nanu Nanu, Robin.

Jazz

I remember the first time I seen him and heard the name Robin Williams.

It was an episode of Happy Days where he played Mork. The same character he would become famous for the next year with Mork and Mindy.

Its a very sad day for everyone. May he rest in peace....

Craig.

Truly a sad day and a huge loss for the world. R.I.P.

What a brave man he must have been, facing his fear of life day after day for so long ...

Now Rest In Peace.

Goood moooorning Vietnam! God bless you Robin, you enriched so many lives. RIP my friend x

I was a kid when Mork & Mindy first came out and I loved that show. Robin Williams was extraordinary throughout his career. I was first aware of his troubles when my brother who was in San Francisco at a open mic night in a comedy club said this very drunk man came in with a parka, looked like a homeless guy, sat at the bar and was making strange laughs at everything, it got to the point when the bouncers came over to kick him out was when his parka came off, and it was Robin Williams.

So Robin got up and took the mic, he was very drunk but my brother said it was one of the funniest things he had ever seen in his life. He was an hour up there and the entire bar was blown away. This is by his abilities to make other people laugh for which he was extremely gifted. This was a long time ago now but hearing it sort of raised suspicions for me. Very sad to hear this as I think most of our families do have someone in our family trees that have or continue to suffer with this sort of thing. Amazing life and career and I wish he is now at peace, and all the best to his family.

As someone who was a victim of Encephalits when I was in my teens, I was especially touched by Robin William's dramatic work as demonstrated in Awakenings or Good Will Hunting.  I've always lived under the spectre of the damage that caused me when I was younger and Awakenings was as much a public service movie for those who aren't aware that comatose patients may have an awareness of their surroundings and know when their loved ones are with them.  I also think Good Will Hunting demonstrated that in spite of how Robin was lost, he still used healing, humor and took roles outside of the comic genius he was known for.  As an actor he was a risk taker.

Finally, Robin's loss may bring greater awareness to depression and hopefully reduce the stigma behind it.  Depression is first and foremost a chemical imbalance that can be brought on by stress, grief, guilt or too much happiness.  Those who suffer from it I encourage you, if one medication does not work, try another and work with your doctor.  Also, use diet and exercise to fight it.  Robin's depression may have markedly worsened when his heart started giving him trouble--when not enough oxygen gets thru your system it can send our mood spiraling downward quickly.

Rest in Happiness Robin--you deserve it.

John

Well they say that when there is a high profile suicide such as this it causes an increase in suicide in the general population. One of my brothers also struggled with depression and was having a bad week, decided he would end his life on 13-August 2014 following the high profile exposure of this case in all the media. Robin showed him that there was a way out after all.

We wont be watching his movies on my house any more

After watching what my brother-in-law has gone through with Parkinson's, I understand why he took this course of action. It is a hideous malady.