Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

FSX:SE - wow, wow and WOW

My god, it cant be real. PMDG 777, active sky next, flytampa copenhagen - 22-24 FPS?

I didnt get more than 17-18 FPS with FSX boxed edition standing on rnw 04L looking at the FPS intensive terminal with both the PMDG 777 and Aerosoft A318/319, and that was with nerfed setting like autogen set to normal etc. Also, with the DX10 fixer installed, this scenario took about 2900-3000MB VAS.

Now, just for fun, I cranked absolutely all settings + running with 3x DSR. The difference was night and day. Doesnt sound like much gain, but I agree with many, it just feels much smoother. Absolutely amazing. And best off all - Process Explorer was showing 2600 MB use of virtual memory. Oh happy day  :wub:  :lol:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Please help me understand your post.

I have FSX running extremely well on an older computer, an i7 920 3 Ghz.  I plan on buying a new PC in the fall.

I can only get low frames when flying a big airliner especially at larger airports so I restrict myself mostly to GA flying.

I am quite frankly not interested in switching over to the online system, I have hundreds of addons, scenery and planes, the chore would be monumental.

Why or what is it about STEAM version that somehow results in improved performance such as you are experiencing.?

For what it's worth, I spent six weeks testing both the boxed and SE versions with all my standard benchmarks. All tests were with fresh installs on a virgin Windows 7 drive. The bottom line..., I see absolutely no significant between the two as far as FPS are concerned. Is SE "smoother"?...maybe but that's a really subjective issue.

Like many, I thought initially that SE was some sort of panacea. But...I'm back to the boxed version as that has none of the compatibility issues (and no advertisements...and no update problems....etc...etc.) If necessary, I can reinstall the boxed version in15 minutes. Try that with Steam....

Doug

Doug, the major difference is much improved VAS management present in FSX:SE. Aside from that not-so-insignificant factor, pretty much everything else averages out about the same on the same computer...

...all of which is almost purely subjective impression.

The VAS management however is demonstrably proven as fact, not subject to vague impressions. B)

OK fellows this is helpful.  Reading the OP I thought I might be missing out on something but your comments are enough to keep me where I'm at.

If necessary, I can reinstall the boxed version in15 minutes. Try that with Steam....

Doug

Well lets be fair here... the comparison holds true if you place your order for the boxed version with some shop, at the same time when you're clicking "Install" on Steam.

The bandwidth of snail-mailing a couple of DVDs is relatively good, but its more than 15 minutes.

I'll move to SE once a) it's matured a bit more and b) ORBX have their new FTX Central ready, in the hopes that that thing will be able to auto-download and install all ORBX products I own. Because if I have to re-install all of that manually that alone would cost me a week...

The bandwidth of snail-mailing a couple of DVDs is relatively good, but its more than 15 minutes.

My re-installing of FSX does not require placing an order, waiting for snail mail, waiting for a download, or needing to continuously be connected to the internet and it takes way less than 15 minutes.

ORBX have their new FTX Central ready, in the hopes that that thing will be able to auto-download and install all ORBX products I own

I'm wasn't aware that they are working on a new FTX Central, but this week they corrected the OBJECTFLOW.DLL issue, and they even included an executable to update this DLL in all sceneries and airports as needed. It's working like a champ!

For what it's worth, I spent six weeks testing both the boxed and SE versions with all my standard benchmarks. All tests were with fresh installs on a virgin Windows 7 drive. The bottom line..., I see absolutely no significant between the two as far as FPS are concerned. Is SE "smoother"?...maybe but that's a really subjective issue.

Like many, I thought initially that SE was some sort of panacea. But...I'm back to the boxed version as that has none of the compatibility issues (and no advertisements...and no update problems....etc...etc.) If necessary, I can reinstall the boxed version in15 minutes. Try that with Steam....

Doug

all computers are different, your results are just for your pc......i get the opposite.....and Steam games(fsx incl) install fast on my pc with 200 mbs internet  :) 

Oh dear, my disc drive must be sloooow.  I can't remember exactly, but I think it takes about 30 mins for me to install the boxed version :lol: .

If necessary, I can reinstall the boxed version in15 minutes. Try that with Steam....

Actually My Steam installation took just about that.. Downloaded at 10.1MBS, and it's always available to me if I need to reinstall, no looking for DVD's, registration codes or activation hassles.

My re-installing of FSX does not require placing an order, waiting for snail mail, waiting for a download, or needing to continuously be connected to the internet and it takes way less than 15 minutes.

Placing an order? Waiting for snail mail? You only do this the first time when you buy the product. Then, if you uninstall FSX Steam for any reason, all you have to do to reinstall it is starting the download and you can do this with two clicks. The first one on the Steam link on your desktop, which will immediately connect you to your Steam account on the server, the second one on the button Install. Stop. My 5 year old daughter can do this.

I uninstalled and reinstalled FSX Steam not less than 15 times within the last two days for reasons that I explained in another thread and I can guarantee you that the process is easier than with any other addon I ever had so far. With a good connection, you can download the whole product in about 45 minutes. Yes, I admit that this is probably a weak point towards the boxed version, but I also ask myself how many simmers do actually fly offline, due to the very high number of addons requiring to be constantly connected.

FWIW, I can click on the Steam install and go to bed.

FSX will be activated and flyable when I get up.

Can't do that with the discs.

regards,
Joe

PS. replace "go to bed" with any activity of your choosing. :rolleyes:

PS. replace "go to bed" with any activity of your choosing. :rolleyes:

I would say 'have a dinner'. My last download required not more than 40 minutes.

Another strenght: unlike other addons, the download from the Steam servers is always incredibly stable, at least here.

Indeed, I just mount the backup ISO files to two virtual drives and it's almost done before you start.

Doug

Doug, the major difference is much improved VAS management present in FSX:SE. Aside from that not-so-insignificant factor, pretty much everything else averages out about the same on the same computer...

...all of which is almost purely subjective impression.

The VAS management however is demonstrably proven as fact, not subject to vague impressions. B)

You're right Bill, I probably should have mentioned that - but VAS has never been an issue for me. All my flying is GA and VAS just isn't a problem no matter what the settings.

Douog

The only thing that FSX-SE removed for me is the annoyance black flashing area of texture that occurred with the FSX box edition.  That alone is worth the switch for me.  Again performance and behavior is really dependent on particular hw/sw but on my setup under the same scenery etc., FSX-SE is way better. 

I love this product so much, I want to stop random people on the street and tell them about it however I dont by the install time argument FSX vs FSX-SE. Unless your running default everything then sure you can be up and running in 15 mins but most of us have a LOT of add ons so whats the advantage of installing off a disc or Steam in 15 mins when it takes 2 days to 2 weeks to install everything else :blink:

The original poster was talking about a gain in performance not how long it takes to reinstall etc.

I would be interested if any of those posting about reinstalles can actually add to the discussion about whether or not there is improved performance on the same PC.  The first few posters felt that there was really no gain in FPS to be had by switching to SE.

Performance is not just about FPS, its also about VAS and thats the big hammer IMO because you can have an extra 5 fps but so what if you cant finish the flight. There are quite a few vids on the topic and countless threads. For what its worth I get increased FPS and simply incredible increase in VAS capacity (not VAS limit)

Performance is not just about FPS, its also about VAS and thats the big hammer IMO because you can have an extra 5 fps but so what if you cant finish the flight. There are quite a few vids on the topic and countless threads. For what its worth I get increased FPS and simply incredible increase in VAS capacity (not VAS limit)

OK this is interesting.  I'm not really up on my VAS stuff, I have never had an issue with crashes or freeze up of FSX, can you tell me is this more related to long haul flights with "heavies" as a long flight for me would be two hours say, and then it is a GA type.

OK this is interesting.  I'm not really up on my VAS stuff, I have never had an issue with crashes or freeze up of FSX, can you tell me is this more related to long haul flights with "heavies" as a long flight for me would be two hours say, and then it is a GA type.

Yeah thats why you dont get them although even in GA with max sliders in heavy ORBX scenery can certainly trigger an OOM but as you mentioned its generally the heavies and generally longer flights as the sim absorbs stuff over a longer period ( especially photo scenery)

Here's a Backup Tip for faster re-installs of FSX:Steam Edition:

• Download a clean copy of FSX:Steam Edition.
  • Once download is complete, DO NOT RUN IT.
  • Completely close Steam. (Check the tray to make sure it's closed.)
  • Copy the following items out to your safe backup location:
    • FILE - Steam\SteamApps\appmanifest_314160.acf
    • FOLDER - Steam\SteamApps\Common\FSX
  • That's it. You're done!

When you need to reinstall from scratch such as after reloading your operating system, just install Steam as you normally would, make sure Steam is completely closed down, and plonk the file and folders back into their original locations. Bam. Reinstalled. When you start Steam again, you'll see FSX:SE "highlighted" as downloaded and available to run.

Then, when you run FSX:SE for the first time will it create all your needed registry entries and other items. This makes re-installation essentially as quick as copying the 16GB of files.

I've used this rather well known method to back up nearly all of my Steam games. In fact, in the early days of FSX:SE I bounced between Windows 7, Windows 8, dual FSX/FSX:SE and FSX:SE/P3D installations like crazy.  Lots of horsing around, but I only downloaded FSX:Steam Edition once. Even though I've moved back to P3D exclusively, I've got my FSX:SE files sitting in a warm corner of my storage drive ready for me to plonk it back in if I ever need to.

-Greg

Good point, Greg.

Do you also get updates from the server using this method? Steam made several updates and optimizations since the first launch and accordingly changed their installer. If yes, it could be a good idea to save a backup copy of the installer and then to get the updates as soon as you launch the program (which automatically connects you the the Steam server). This would save a lot of time.