Sign in to follow this  
Mickeyj

Flight1 GNS 430/530 released

Five years from now, the 430/530 will be about as scarce as a KLN-90.

I suspect you've never paid an avionics shop to update a panel in a real airplane.  GPS technology killed the early VOR-based RNAV units but there is not the same pressure to remove perfectly good working GNS530s.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

$64 dollars. To high for me! I pass...

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

What will drive the GTN market, is the ADS-B mandate in 2020.

Why? The ADS-B mandate is being implemented here in Australia next year (causing much controversy but that's for another time). In relation to the GNSS aspect, you require a WAAS compatible GPS - a 530/430W does the job. Indeed, other solutions are in the market to reduce cost even further by providing a separate GPS input.

Simmers might mock the functionality of the GNS unit, but in the real world, they are still much sought after, for various reasons - and they hold their value. I am a part time instructor, and I work frequently with GNS units as well as my own GTN's - in fact just yesterday I had a lesson booked with a student who just had a 430W fitted to his aircraft for familiarisation lessons. The GNS's are fine units, and as I said, most owners would not upgrade unless they had a need to, except for the few who desperately want the "latest and greatest". In my currency, a GTN now tops $20k not including installation.

I suspect you've never paid an avionics shop to update a panel in a real airplane.  GPS technology killed the early VOR-based RNAV units but there is not the same pressure to remove perfectly good working GNS530s.

Absolutely correct Dan. GNS's will be around for a long time.

David Porrett

Just as much tas GTN is a fetish. Personally, I find it rather weird that people around here want to force 750 into everything they buy, but hey. Their toys, their choice. 

Agreed in full. But the reason why many of us forced an "unreal" GTN750 into the cockpit of a C182 or a Baron 55/58, often requiring an extra work by Bert, is that the Flight1 GTN 650/750 was the only serious alternative to the default Garmin 430/530. Unless you were running FSX classic, RXP gauges were not an option. Now, there is no reason anymore to do that.

Flight1 products are always very expensive, but they are worth the money charged. I have both gauges on my to-buy list with highest priority.

Absolutely - I left FSX a few years ago - and I left RXP GNS ... A big loss as I fly online and enjoy HAVING THE ABILITY to shoot RNAV (GPS) approaches. Then F1 came out with the GTN for P3D ! Good times!

Just because I use a GTN doesn't mean I'm flying the magenta, it doesn't mean I can't fly a FPL using vor's, it simply means I can navigate how I like!

I tend to forget, that GPS navigation is not as common in other parts of the world. It is extremely prevalent in the USA - that's why I'd like a GTN in my cockpits

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

A friend of  mine has a F33A with a G530/G430 combo. I asked him about a G750/G650 upgrade and he remarked. "...Why should I pay 15+ large for push button technology?"

In short, It's about bucks.

In the interest of realism, I've largely remained with he G530/430 for the lighter GA class.

Oh come on... There's *slightly* more than just a touchscreen that the GTN units have

But hey, I'm not paying 15k either ha!

As I said, I used the 430W during my pilot training (and the KLN90), and I've used a GTN 650 ... It's just newer devices replacing the old ones. Not everyone is going to get the new "thing."

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I used the 430W during my pilot training (and the KLN90), and I've used a GTN 650 ... It's just newer devices replacing the old ones. Not everyone is going to get the new "thing."

Why should I pay 15+ large for push button technology?"

Absolutely - if it ain't broke.... The only reason I went GTN is the old, non-compliant, incompatible equipment. No choice, so GTN it was.

David Porrett

Going back on topic though, I assume that upgrading 530 with 1609 AIRAC is possible without spending hundreds on buying data directly from Garmin?

I would not assume that...

Expired navdata, sure, like expired paper charts - free to a good home.

Current navdata - pay the price.

Bert

I think even if you get worldwide data these days, runways with length of 4000 ft or less are excluded because the database get's too large.

(1609 is actually old now, 1610 is current)

PM me for details about navdata.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Unless someone wants a 430/530 for RW familiarization purposes, I see no reason for them in the modern FS world.

Unless in your simulation endeavors you strive to duplicate what is realistic at your strata on a cost/benefit basis. Not cost/benefit in the sim world. But instead to provide for your own sense of realism what you would have in practical cost/benefit use in the real world. We each have our sense of fantasy....

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I watched Matt on Twitch (Belynz) fly the Flysimware Lear 35 fitted with a GTN and it is a great little unit. I have used the RXP units being stuck in FSX still for years but it might be time this holiday season to buy a GTN instead, I am still going back and forth. I was hoping by now F1 would have a sale on their GTN units though. My wallet is not as big as it once was when I had a well paying job with a lot of money left over for flight simulator. (Lucky to have a good collection of addons from the past to keep me happy)

I prefer the easy operation and features of the GNS but if I am spending a lot of money for new products might as well teach myself how to operate the GTN and put it in a nice little plane like A2A, Realair, or Flysimware. Leaning to Flysimware due to frequent sales on Simmarket of the Lear, and the upgrade prices of the Realair since I own FSX versions of the Duke is a good price.

When I moved from the GNS to the GTN, it was like moving from DOS 3.1 and floppy drives to a modern day computer. Can't imagine having to go back. http://www8.garmin.com/aviation/pdfs/GTN-GNScomp_6xx.pdf

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I prefer the easy operation and features of the GNS but if I am spending a lot of money for new products might as well teach myself how to operate the GTN

You can download the Garmin GTN Trainer and learn it.  Free.  Then you will be good to go when you buy the F1 GTN.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

When I moved from the GNS to the GTN, it was like moving from DOS 3.1 and floppy drives to a modern day computer. Can't imagine having to go back. http://www8.garmin.com/aviation/pdfs/GTN-GNScomp_6xx.pdf

I'd say the old GPS systems like the Garmin GPS 100 and the Bendix KLN89 and KLN90 better suit the comparison to DOS 3.1. The Garmin GNS set is at least up to Windows 98 standard  :Big Grin:  I still find the GNS 530/430 a very user friendly GPS system and the Flight1 version brings back variety in the Prepar3D world.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS