Sign in to follow this  
Manny Ortiz

X-Enviro is OUT

REX is my Buddy's - yah never know maybe they will dive into XP one day

They had cloud textures out for XP9, but nothing since. Don't get your hopes up.

They had cloud textures out for XP9, but nothing since. Don't get your hopes up.

Did not know that

Rich Sennett

Hi all

I am typing on by phone at work so I won't be too long winded. Anyway I had a chance to install the full Xplane11 and xEvironment while I was at it.

One of things I like to do is free fly around to check accuracy of scenery and environment, whether wise.

Last night I ran a flight from Chicago and flew around the lake to Michigan following the i90 and i94.

It is a clear night cold with the winds from west. What I notices is on the horizon just toward the Michigan side there were clouds that like it was reflection of the street lights. It didn't make sense to me at first since the area is not largely populated. However I realize that when we get extreme cold, when blows across the lake it will snow on the Michigan side. It made sense that the reflection could come from the snow fall. As I flew closer toward the eastern part Indiana the clouds buildup to appear more with the reflected show more. As I reach the southern part of Michigan I notice a haze appearance in air. I could not tell whether it actual snow. Usually snow run off and on at times depending on how much moisture the wind picks up off the lake. I continue flying until I reach St Joseph and landed at Benton Harbor airport. Although it was snowing but the show the reflection which appears look it does in real life.

What impress me is that the effects from Xenvironment is spot on and I echo everything that steve310002 in his experience. It is worth it is mainly as it make up for Xplane where it is lacking inwhether. But that is not unusual for third party software. So far for Xplane11 its a nice complement.

Bob

• Upvote 1

There were lots of discussion when it came out - I am not a fan of xEnviro personnally - but the combination X-Plane 11 and xEnviro is attracting a lot of attention from FSX and P3D users ! This can only mean good things for the future (more users is more revenue for Laminar and for 3rd party developers).

good times ahead.

• Upvote 7

The more I fly, the more impressed I am. Definitely worth $70 to not see those smoke black clouds again.

• Upvote 4

Can you set your own weather or do you have to use real weather?

You have to use real weather? I believe not sure what the CAVOK thing is all about - weather does disappear when you use that switch

Explanation on CAVOK no idea what it means

By activation tick CAVOK the software deletes the cloudiness and displays coverage distance of 16 km until new update of the software on server starts.

Rich Sennett

They said that they will add an option to use historical weather. But for now it's just real weather.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

You have to use real weather? I believe not sure what the CAVOK thing is all about - weather does disappear when you use that switch

By activation tick CAVOK the software deletes the cloudiness and displays coverage distance of 16 km until new update of the software on server starts.

Cavok is ceiling and visibility okay. :smile:

As above - detailed definition as shown below

When the following conditions occur simultaneously at the time of observation:

a) visibility, 10 km or more, and the lowest visibility is not reported;

b) no cloud of operational significance;

c) no weather of significance to aviation as given in 4.4.2.3 and 4.4.2.6;

information on visibility, runway visual range, present weather and cloud amount, cloud type and height of cloud base shall be replaced in all meteorological reports by the term “CAVOK”.

CAVOK also means in some cases no clouds bellow the sector altitude, but you can have a mant of overcast above it. and provided it has no embedded Cbs, it'll still be CAVOK.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

They said that they will add an option to use historical weather. But for now it's just real weather.

That's pretty much a killer for me then. Whilst sometimes I'd like to use real or historical weather, I'd much rather setup my own weather scenarios, and for a $70 product which costs more than the sim, I'd expect much more than just nice visuals. I'm not ruling out ever getting it, but this is essential for me (and I would have thought anyone who wants to practice IFR scenarios)

• Upvote 2

Couldnt resist it anymore and took the plunge and bought exnviro yesterday. After 3 hours of use I am satisifed so far. XP10 weather never looked better to me. Nice variey of cloudscapes, more varied than SM 3 which I have been using up till this point. Even with SM and their weather connector I experienced abrupt weather changes, which is a huge immersion killer.

Performance is great, even with solid overcast and at max settings, which of course have something to do with the fact that only 2d clouds are present. I imagine with 3d clouds performance would be much worse. For me, the 2d cloudscapes create a very belieable 3d effect most of the times.  Immersion level in airlines flying has gone up significantly thanks to xenviro.

I think 40 USD would have been a more justifiable price though, and l speculate that revenue potential would be higher for the developers, as now a lot of potential purchasers are turned off by the price. Even still, they got me to cough up 70 USD, and I am happy so far.

You have to use real weather? I believe not sure what the CAVOK thing is all about - weather does disappear when you use that switch

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/25806/what-is-the-exact-meaning-of-cavok-and-cavu-how-are-they-used-by-pilots-and-atc

When the following conditions occur simultaneously at the time of observation:
 a) visibility, 10 km or more, and the lowest visibility is not reported; b) no cloud of operational significance; c) no weather of significance to aviation as given in 4.4.2.3 and 4.4.2.6;

information on visibility, runway visual range, present weather and cloud amount, cloud type and height of cloud base shall be replaced in all meteorological reports by the term “
CAVOK
”.

REX i guess is swearing loudly for their lack of commercial foresight. They had the knowhow, resources and already developed products. Of course there's always time to milk the increasing wider Xplane audience with a good and conprehensive weather product but often ... first come best served.

As a side note I even think LR has skilled developers but second-rate commercial manager (if any): why do not develop an in house weather package and sell it as DLC. The more I read the more people shifting to XEnviro, which is fast becoming a mandatory companion to XP. At 70$ the return on investment would have been enough good and XEnviro proves that XPlaners are ready to pay hard cash even for incomplete product.

• Upvote 2